cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excessive build up of fluid after surgery

11 REPLIES 11
riversidedawn

Re: Excessive build up of fluid after surgery

Absolutely Kaya, once youve got through the first 10 mins it's fine. I survived 14 sessions and towards the end I had to ask my nurse if it was still working as it didn't feel cold!

I always took strong painkillers half an hour before and usually needed a blanket or hot water bottle for the last hour.
Kaya51

Hi Joyce. Hope you get on well with the cold cap. Just to let you know it was very successful when I used it during my six chemo sessions. I do have quite thick hair but it only thinned a bit and I didn't need a ponytail! My hair looked fine. I was told the first ten to fifteen minutes of having cold cap on your head are the hardest. It helped me a lot to know this and it was true. It felt very cold to start but it helped me knowing that it would improve.You have the cap on your head for a long time but with me it definitely got easier after the first fifteen minutes and I was then able to sit and read reasonably comfortably.  Good luck with all your treatment.

joyce11

Thanks for the responses - yes I am going to try the cold cap to see how it goes. Luckily I have very short hair anyway - or not so lucky as no where to hide like a ponytail but what a good idea. Thanks for the encouragement.

riversidedawn

Joyce, I feel your pain and frustration. Hopefully it'll stop soon, I know mine just suddenly stopped. Have you looked into cold capping during Chemo? I used it very successfully for 14 sessions, my hair thinned but keeping it in a ponytail hid the worst of it and now 7 weeks or so post Chemo it looks OK. (Not back to normal, but don't need a wig.)

I've just had expander implant reconstruction and will start radio in a few weeks - so keep going, I promise there's light at the end of the tunnel.
June_BCC

Hello Joyce11

Welcome to the forums. I’m sure other users will be along to support you soon. 

In the meantime, maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer practical information as well as emotional support. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

joyce11

I am 5 weeks post mastectomy and 6 visits for drainage with 2.5 litres already drained.I am assured this will get less but feel fed up as it is quite sore under the pressure. I have 6 cycles of chemo to go through and then radiotherapy so feel that this is just the beginning. Have had a look at the wigs on offer and upset at the moment. Fed up of people saying how well I look ! Sorry about the moan but surely not on my own with this?

riversidedawn

Good news did. Has your wound healed?
Did7855

Happy to now report that after 5 visits back to BC Unit and over 3 pints of fluid in total drained, build up now seems to have stopped! Justdays before Chemo started. 😃

riversidedawn

I had masectomy and node removal last September. My drain got pulled out by accident on about day 10 and I had huge fluid build up. I went back nearly daily for about 2 weeks and also had guided drainage under ultra sound. It suddenly stopped. I can imagine the hospital trips are wearing you out, I'm going to have a similar daily journey for 3 weeks of rads soon!

Lucy_BCC

Hi Did7855

Welcome to the BCC forums where I am sure the support will be a big help, in addition, our helpliners are on hand for any queries or concerns you may have on 0808 800 6000, lines are open 9-5 during the week and 10-2 Saturdays so please feel free to call

Here's a link to further post surgery information which may also help:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/treating-breast-cancer/surgery/after-s...

Take care
Lucy BCC

eileen728

I had the same - drained twice and I thought it would never go - but it did after 2 attempts - last one with ultra sound which meant they were more accurate. So 2 weeks after the initial drain. It will go - though I know it feels like it won't! Fingers crossed for you xx
Did7855

Excessive build up of fluid after surgery

Hi, I recently underwent a lumpectomy and lymph node removal on 16th April, due to go back tomorrow to find out what the next step in my treatment is, Radiotherapy, Chemo or both?. I came home following day surgery with a drain attached and during the 5 days it was attached drained a lot of fluid. I had to go back to hospital 2 days ago and have a further 250ml of fluid removed and I can already feel that the fluid has one again accumulated, hopefully this will get removed tomorrow. Question is how long will I be experiencing this build up of fluid, does it ever go away, can't face the constant 70 mile round trip to keep getting it drained!  THanks