Exercise after lumpectomy: how soon?

I was diagnosed with lubular invasive carcinoma in mid July. I had a lumpectomy on July 22. I’m currently going through radiation therapy and have been put on Tamoxifen.

Up to the day I had surgery I was an extremely active person doing a 10k run 5 times a week plus following an intensive weight training regimen. I have not exercised since my surgery. My doctor said I could gradually resume my exercise routine provided I go slowly and wear a good supportive sports bra. I’m pretty scared and don’t know if I should go back to exercising now. Can you please help answer my question?

Thx

Hi SB

Whilst you wait for the other users to reply with their experience and knowledge you might find it helfpul to talk things through with a member of staff on the BCC helpline line.  Here you can share your thoughts and concerns with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as support and pratical information.  The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open weekdays 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator 

I think walking would do you no harm at all.I had several ops over the winter,and used to go for a power walk as soon asI felt able.Even went out for a little walk with a drain in.I am now recovering from DIEP and as soon as I was home,I would go out.Just walk and get to power walking,take it from there.Your BCN can advice further.It is the stretching and lifting you have yo be careful.My Pilates instructor had done some training in breast care,and she said she would not touch me for 12 weeks! However,can re commence swimming after 6 weeks.Enjoy getting out in the fresh air!

the most important exercises are the ones needed to get your arm movement back to normal. Don’t delay them at all and do them several times a day. Hopefully you will have already beed doing these. Lots of brisk walking and fresh air, but I would wait until your rads are finished before tackling anything else - and take professional advice on how much you should do.

Take care

K M x

Hi

Please don’t be put off getting back to exercising. If you start slow and listen to your body you will be fine.  I believe that getting back to my exercise regime helped with my recovery, specially in avoiding getting too tired during and after rads.

I dint know what you do in the gym, I do weights machines rather than free weights and I started back just doing the leg  machines and a little on the wave machine and just gradually built up from there.

It was the effects of the snb more than the lumpectomy that gave me issues. If you get a really good gym top with the shelf bra you should be comfy.

I’m not a runner so can’t advise about that but was back on the bike about 7 weeks after.

Mary