Exercise and rafs

Just want to get some views on exercising while having rads , had lumpectomy about 9 weeks ago and 3 Lymphs removed all clear! Just started rads , 20 sessions in all! I’ve just started back at the gym , no upper body work out , just cross trainer and bike , can’t run as too much bouncing around hurts still, anyway I’ve not been told at all not to exercise just listen to my body , desperate though to get back normal - if that ever happens!

<Empty imported post>

Hi Karen,

You have certainly got a ‘get up and go’ attitude and continuing to exercise during rads is a way of feeling ‘normal’ if the gym is already part of your life.  You are also being sensible listening to your body.

However, be prepared that, as you complete more radiotherapy sessions, the radiation has a cumulative effect and you may start to have shoulder/arm pain caused by the ‘zapping’ and also by the ‘unusual’ position you have to have your arm rested during treatment.

From my own experience, I would strongly recommend that you do the arm exercises given to you by the physiotherapist in the radiotherapy department.  These are designed to keep your shoulder joint moving. I was unfortunate to develop a frozen shoulder after radiotherapy (despite doing the exercises) but most ladies are OK.  Despite being just unlucky, I feel it is worthwhile to stress to ‘radiotherapy’ BC ladies the importance of the arm exercises.

You will get back to normal but remember that after 20 sessions of radiotherapy, the cumulative effect of radiation peaks two weeks after radiotherapy finishes.  You may then start to feel the effects of fatigue so be kind to yourself if you decide to give the gym a miss for awhile.

Take care,

M x

Magical_Moon thanks for your advice , I’ve been found my arm exercising religiously and suffer from a bad shoulder and tennis elbow normally (perks of my job!) , sore nipple has kicked in already after 3 sessions and double base cream has become my new best friend ! I am determined to kick arse at BC , I was diagnosed through a family history clinic was just attending my yearly mammogram was asked to take part in trial of a new machine and bang they found a tumour ! I’m so thankful that the family members I’ve lost to BC were in their own way looking after me as I was sent to family history clinic x

Hi Karen I didn’t feel that tired during rads but was told no exercise apart from walking during & for 4 weeks after. I’m a bit like you & couldn’t wait so did a yoga class 2 weeks after (as soon as I could get a bra on comfortably). No ill effects but was super knackered all afternoon & it was a lie on the floor meditation & gentle stretches type of yoga class. After 3 weeks played tennis for 20 mins with soft balls, a bit of boob swelling which went down after a couple of hours. Played golf 3 1/2 weeks after - BIG mistake - I think rads undoes the healing of your scar inside. Started hurting after 6 holes & should have stopped but didn’t (desperate to get back to normal!) anyway it has hurt really badly for a whole week & still does. I’m telling you all that in case you are tempted to overdo it like me. Trust me, it isn’t worth it & I wish I had waited the 4 weeks as advised. I would think yoga or Pilates would be ok. All the best xx

hi Karen

I finished radiotherapy on 27th January like you i wanted to get back to normal as soon as possible. 

i have been going to the Gym a couple of times a week including the rowing machine which i believe has been my downfall 

Now have shooting pains in my breast and looks like some fliud formimg (seroma) which I had a problem with before my Rads, booked in to see my consultant this week.

A bit gutting really when I thought it was all over, so just be careful with any upper body exercise

bibi i feel your pain & thinking about it your explanation sounds reasonable but my swelling hasnt gone down 

Di