Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exercise - what do you do?

14 REPLIES 14
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Exercise - what do you do?

I went to my GP and got a presciption for health, 10 sessions at my local gym with a personal trainer for £.50 a session. My trainer was fantastic and she really helped me develop my confidence. I have now joined a local gym! I goto aqua areobics once a week, gym, once or twice, and swim once a week and feel much better for it!

Guest user
Not applicable

I try to walk the dog as many days as possible, but i struggle with walking uphill as still on chemo and onc says heomoglobin levels have dropped and ptobably wont reoover until this is over.
For some mad reason (probably two small glasses of wine) I seem to have agreed to go to aerobics class next week with my friend- aaargh! just as well I know the person that runs the class as I used to go twice a week until I sterted travelling away for work - she will make sure it doesn't kill me (I hope)!

Just to add my name to your question. I do not do real exercise. I do have bone mets though and until my painkillers take effect I have to crawl up the stairs in the house on my hands and knees! Suppose I could pretend this was a form of workout!
When I am having a good day I love nothing better than going for a walk provided it is flat. My favourite walks are beside the sea. I do like gardening but do a little from a stool, then have a rest, then get the knee mat and do a little weeding from that angle. I get there as long as I have wee breaks. Not the normal type of exercise but it keeps me busy and I love being outside especially in this lovely weather. Oh and I fill up loads of bird feeders so that exercises my upper arms! Keep doing your keep fit girls. I just wish I could join in. I did go swimming on holiday recently but I do not enjoy public swimming pools with lots of people who jump in/ on top of me while I am trying to swim. Val

Guest user
Not applicable

I used to hate exercise and rarely did any, until I took up Taekwon Do. I carried on training throughout chemo and rads, though did only manage 10 -15 minutes of some class. A year down the line I am now training 2 to 4 times a week and will be taking my black belt in October. I have now developed lymphoedema so have to be more careful. I always wear my sleeve when I train and have stopped doing full power when doing pad work. However it has not stopped me from really enjoying myself.

Thank you everyone for taking the trouble to reply! You are all very inspirational 🙂 I am definitely going to try and up things a bit and will start by trying to make sure I definitely do 30 mins each day. I will also try and make an effort to walk more briskly too. Lulu, good point about bone strength as well as general fitness. That reminds me, I heard something the other day (perhaps it was the doctor on This Morning?) about getting enough vitamin D especially with regards to BC, so double reason to get outside for a nice walk!

Good luck for your mammo Lynne and best wishes (and of course, good health!) to everyone xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

I used to just go swimming once a week; but following surgery/rads & type2 diabetes dx I have upped my game to generally improve health/fitness & to a certain extent to feel I'm back in control of my life. (Finished rads 4 months ago now). I took advice from Onc on when to start swimming again (4 weeks after rads) just had to use my Diprobase cream to miosturise when I got out.

I'd start going for short walks. The general exercise advice is 30 mins a day I think; but this can be in short periods.

Do you have stairs at home if you don't live in a Bungalow; how about every now & then going up/down for a few minutes do as much as you feel comfortable & don't rush it. Wellbeing/fitness improvement needs to be steady according to my GP.

I now also go to a ladies only gym where they know my history & look after me/encourage me very well. I tend to go 3 times a week 4 if I can. I've dropped nearly 2 clothes sizes! Not lost weight but only a couple of pounds over anyway just toning up quite nicely.

This has improved my outlook & feel more positive, but in a couple of weeks the first anniversary of first national screening mammo & feeling apprehensive as this time last year I felt great & then!!!!!!

Take care
Lynne

i walked about 10 miles a week before i got the second tumour... but really got out of exercising when i had treatment.... at the beginning of the year i started zumba for a few weeks but stopped after getting peritonitis.

i started parking my car further away and walking a mile to work and home again.... weight baring exercises are good for helping to keep bones healthy and after tamox, chemo and BSO i need to try to promote bone health.

i started going to the gym a couple of weeks ago and have a personal trainer... so far so good.... until i did a tums, bums and thighs class on monday night and now can hardly walk LOL.

Lxx

I continued to go to the gym during chemo, usually after about day 10 of the cycle. But after chemo 4 I was neutropenic I had to give that up. Instead, I started to walk every day for at least one hour. Some days this was really hard going, but I always came back feeling better (though some days exhausted).
About two weeks after finishing rads I went skiing. Taking it slowly, but it felt like the old me again. Four weeks post rads I started jogging and went back to the gym. A huge uphill struggle, but I believe that keeping active is aiding my energy levels currently. I am five months post treatment now and today I run 5k a couple of times a week, do spin class at the gym etc etc. Though now recovering from an oophorectomy means I am back to my walking regime only...feels weird with flash backs of the chemo days...
Good luck, do whatever makes you feel good about yourself!
Nikki x

I walk the dogs for at least an hour twice a day - I aim to total 3 hours on a good day. During treatment and for a few months afterwards I would be walking quite slowly, but as I've lost weight and got my energy back I've upped the pace a lot, and have started to include more hills and steps. I try to walk fast enough to get out of breath. It's really working and I feel much fitter.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi,
I am back to doing my aqua aerobics now that my rads have finished (about a month ago). I just do what I feel comfortable doing. I have found that doing the exercise actually helps my energy levels, as well as helping my mentally.

I am not on any treatment now though (as I was Triple neg), so don't know how the herceptin/tamoxifen affect things.

Jen

i never exercised, just hated it and it did not seem to make me feel better. Having said that i am active. use stairs instead of escalators, do a bit of gardenng, play drums a couple of hours a day.

Now i am religiously doing the stretch excercises because i want no loss of movement and am going to see hospital phsio to get some more because the sheets they gave me are now too easy.

First day of real drum practice today and i got out of breath realy quickly, not surprising after three weeks of almost no activity.

However I do want to get a bit fitter before my rads. So, I have decided to do the royal canadian air force exercises, I started today. They only take 5 minutes a day and were designed to get pilots fit back in the 70's. They are graded, you work through charts of excercises at your own pace gradually getting more repetitions into the time and gradually getting harder.

i am also going to extend my practice time on the drums to get fitter than i used to be. I am hoping this is going to help with side effects of rads and tamaxifan.

I've started cycling again, and walking; feels good too.

Go out with OH when he walks the dog, but have been doing it less and less as chemo wore on. Still pretty pooped 2.5 weeks on from last FEC.

Want to get back in the pool and do some swimming, but as I start rads in a week or two, that ain't gonna happen until after it's all finished.

If your arm movement isn't too restricted, swimming is good. I didn't swim during chemo and rads because of the risk of infection and really missed it. It's good exercise for the whole body and you can take it at your own pace. I've found it helps with the post-radiotherapy stiffness.

Lilac x

Exercise - what do you do?

I was just wondering what exercise folks do (if any). I know there have been studies linking exercise with recurrance reduction, plus it can't be bad to improve general health, can it?

I try and go for a walk every day, I find getting out in the fresh air makes me feel a bit more human. Even if I have to force myself to go I do feel better for it. However it is often more of a gentle stroll than anything, and I was wondering if I should be trying to up it a bit?

Of course it depends where you are in your treatment, I have finished chemo, surgery and rads, now "just" on herceptin and tamox. I haven't got much energy (has anyone??) but I am starting to feel a bit more like I can try and do things now. Does anyone have any tips?