Exercises after op

Please could you helpful ladies advise me? Following a WLE (no lymph nodes), the hospital physio said I would need to do “walking fingers up and down the wall”, but my scrambled brain can’t remember whether she specified how many days post op I should start.

I have now to get through the next week or so before hearing whether clear margins were achieved. These waiting periods are terribly difficult, but it has been so comforting to read these forums and to realise how many of us are going through the same thing.

I send my very best wishes to everyone who is also waiting for results.

Anna

Hi Anna,

I had a WLE and lymph nodes - I started my exercises the morning after my op. For the first week I did gentle should rotations (5 reps) followed by arm raises to the front and the side with arms bend fingers resting on shoulders (5 reps). The second week I started with shoulder rotations, arm raises with the arms straight then the ‘climbing up the wall’ facing the wall and standing side on to the wall (5 reps of each). I did these 3 x a day. It was helpful to take a painkiller an hour prior to starting for the first week. Also for the wall climbing I stuck up a bit of blu-tac at my highest point to help monitor progress. Finally do exercise both sides then you have the ‘normal’ side to indicate where the op side should be going also it feels more balanced.

I found the exercises good - they help with fluid drainage so keep you more comfy. Got my full range of movement back relatively quickly.

good luck with all the rest of your treatment. It is all a bit daunting at times just try and take it a stage at a time.

Hope this helps - all the best Swanie

Hi Swanie,

Thank you so much for these clear and detailed instructions; I’ll begin the exercises immediately.

Your advice and good wishes are much appreciated.

Anna

Hi Anna,

do you have the ‘exercises after breast surgery’ booklet from this site at all? It was my bible after I had my mastectomy and total axillary clearance in March.

I remember waiting a week or 2 before I moved onto the whole ‘walking fingers up the wall’ exercises and other advanced exercises. The booklet is very helpful and they have pictures to demonstrate each exercise too.

Take care and keep doing those exercises!

Kelly
-x-

Many thanks Kelly, I’ve downloaded the booklet now and will have a go at those too.

My best wishes to you,
Anna

Hi you lot, well, i did my exercises whilst in hospital following a partial axillary sampling, then full mastectomy and recon, did a few more when i got home, but am ashamed to say have been a bit lazy lately, (well its still early days!!!) ok, thats my excuse and i’m sticking to it, but i do now have a lovely piece of cord in my armpit, so really really should start them up again, thats the worst of it, you don’t feel so bad, but you really really do need to do them. please tell me off good people!!!

alison xxxxxxxxx

Alison

Do them or you will regret it later! Is that strong enough for you? Julie.

Yes Sir!!! no, your right Julie, in fact, i just spent the last ten minutes walking my fingers up the wall, just had a bad time emotionally lately, nothing new there but really need to get back on track now

Alison xxxxxxxxxx

Hi Alison,

I understand what you mean, I had a break from my exercises as well, just got fed up with the whole flipping thing but I’m back on track now as well and pleased to say that I’m really making progress.

I’ve got that cord thing as well, it does get easier I promise, one day at a time eh? Do you do that exercise where you lie on the bed and try and get your arms up and over your head? Boy was that tight when I first started it but now I’m just about there, keep at it, a little bit each day makes such a difference.

Take care

Carole

SHAME ON YOU ALISON!!!

Consider yourself about to be well and truly told off!!! You are doin yourself no favours by not doing your exercises. I did mine religiously (girlie swot that I am!) and really think it helped me recover so quickly. The woman in the hosp bed opp mine when I had my mastectomy in March never did her exercises, ever!! She always used to just sit and watch me doing mine and would say ‘oh, you make me feel really guilty’. Then the Drs and physios would come round and ask if she had been doing her exercises and she would say ‘YES’!!! SHAME ON HER! What a fibber!!

I feel really bad for ‘cyber shouting at you’ now alison, especially as I’ve just read how you’ve been having a hard time emotionally. Sorry xxx

Take care and stick with the exercises, just don’t push it,

Kelly
-x-

have had mastectomy and reco of breast, all resaults good and healing well .i am doing the exercise as per booklet from physio,but am having problems with the fluid collecting in my back.iam having it drained weekly its now 7 weeks on .has anyone any advise

thanks marnie