cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exercising at risk arm

9 REPLIES 9
angelrainbow

Re: Exercising at risk arm

Thank you TWhitney. I tried following the other link but it wasn't available, so this is very useful.

Twhitney

I see the last post was answered like a year ago, so i feel a bit stupid answering on this post... 
But i found a nice article about lymphedema and exercise, and since i say this post, i wanted to share it with you. It gave me a clearer overview of what exercises i can do with my arm lymphedema. 

http://www.exeromed.com/exercise-as-lymphedema-treatment/

Cheers! 

Hazelb27

Thanks Gilly. They run a few classes at the gym and I know one is Pilates so I'll sign up for that too I'll also try some weights but start low.

Thanks again for all of your posts ladies. It's really helped me.

Hx
Butterfly318

Hazelb27

I also joined Gym for the first time in my life August 2013 when i was off work following Chemo and Surgery.  One of the personal trainers has some experience in medical rehab and she recommended not to do repetative movements for long periods such as lifting for an hour etc.  She suggested a mix of swimming (changing stroke) and classes particularly Zumba / Step / Pilates etc where all your body is moving which offers the best chance of moving Lymphatic Fluid.  I do some lifting but only in 15 min blocks with light weights)

Interestingly if i have my arm down, such as carrying something, it can ache pretty quickly,  Ironing also has this effect.  (as you can imagine i don't miss ironing).

Lots of info also says not to use Sauna / Steam for long periods so i do just for 5 minutes.

That Gym kept me sane while i was off work and i'm glad to say i've kept up with it.  To be fair it has lovely facilities so i swim at 6.30 three days a week and then get ready for work there, it's no hardship. 

Take Care  Gilly x

Hazelb27

Thanks you so much ladies. I'm going to try some light weights and just build up gradually from there. Thanks again.

Hx
Bean14

Hi hazel, I have had ANC on both sides (2003 and 2023). I have mild lymphodema in hand and arm on the most recent side. However, I exercise regularly at the gym and do 'body pump' 2-3 times a week. I find it helps. My lymphodema nurse has echoed the advice about exercise being good to assist drainage but it's a balance in building it up and what your body has done before .

alexc23

Hi

I had my lymph nodes removed and have mild lymphodema you shouldnt carry heavy shoping bas and such as many people when they do that carry them on their arm and your putting pressure on the arm with the straps. I have seen reports on the internet that actually suggest that light weight training is actually beneficial for preventing it. I personally keep up my stretching exercises for the arm that I was taught after my surgery and do light lifting during exercise and doesnt seem to flair it up

Hazelb27

Thank you Janet. I will have a look at the link.

Hx
Janet_BCC

Hi Hazelb27

While you are waiting for some replies from other members, I've attached a link to our publication which I thought may be helpful.  There is some information about exercise on Page 19.

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/sites/default/files/living_with_lymphoedema_web.pdf

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Hazelb27

Exercising at risk arm

Hi ladies. Looking for a bit of advice. I've been told by my bcn not to use my left arm for any heavy lifting, not even a bag of shopping,in case I develop lymphedema. However, I recently joined a gym (for the first time in my entire life!!) and the instructor is trying to develop a programme for me. He asked about what I can and can't do with my left arm and I said not much but it got me thinking so I did a bit of googling. Some of the advice from the lymphedema support network suggest exercise can be good for moving lymph fluid around the body and can reduce the risk of developing lymphedema so I'm confused!

Can I ask what advice you ladies have been given and what you do when you're exercising. I had full nose clearance.

Thanks so much and hope you are all keeping well.

Hazel x