Expander Implant

Hi Guys, just had to log on this morning as I’ve got my date for my reconstruction (Lumpectomy Aug 05, Mastectomy Sept 05, 6 x FEC Chemo and year of Herceptin.

I’ve been fine all through the treatments etc and now I’m bricking it because of this reconstruction op!!! Is this normal.

God I thought I’d be over the moon and buzzin when a date came through, but all I’m feeling now is very nervous. I’ve lived without a boob for nearly 3 years and have managed OK but just felt that the reconstruction would be the completion of what can only be described as 3 years of hell!!!

Any thoughts from you all would be very welcome, plus - how long am I going to be off work for? Will I need to be off the whole time, through all the ‘pumping up’ out patient appointments or will I just be able to go back in for these days.

Thanks guys
Clemy X

Hi Clemy. I had an expander implant in August last year after having a mastectomy in April 04. I have to say it was one of the best decision in my life. I was only in hospital for the one night a bit painful because the implant is under the muscle and they have to detach it from what ever its attached too. Painkillers help. I took six weeks off work, didn’t really need to but I have to lift heavy boxes and I was being paid full salary so why not. One week after operation I climbed Blencathra in the Lake District and apart from being a bit tired, I think this is the after effects of the anesthetic, everything was fine.

I felt just like you excited but petrified at the same time, don’t be, its a breeze after everything else. THe pumping up is no problem at all ten minutes at the very most and you’re on your way, not painful just a stretching kind of feeling.

I’m fully pumped now and will be having my permanent implant in the next couple of months, I’m also having an implant in my good breast it was offered and I thought why not, this will take me upto a B cup I’ve always been an A or AA.

If you need to know anything else just post and I’ll try to answer. All the best for your operation its definately worth it.

Lou

Hi clemy,

I can only reiterate what Lou has said in that having the reconstruction was the best thing I did.

I had bilateral mastectomy in Aug 06, followed by 5 years of tamoxifen and 2 years of Zoladex injections, didn’t need chemo or rads. I had recon in May last year using the ld method where they take skin and muscle from the back, tunnel it under the skin under your arms, re-open your mastectomy scar place the implant in then put the muscle over the implant and sew in an eye shape of skin taken from the back. Was in hosp for a week and not able to work for approx 8 weeks after, it was aliitle painful at first but basic pain killers was sufficient.

I can honestly say now that I would do it all again if I had to to feel like I do now. I have just had the nipples reconstructed and they look amazing, just waiting now for the tatooing then I may go bigger as I am smaller than I was pre cancer and would so love to be the size I was before. My surgeon has said that I can go bigger if I wish apparently a very simple op just replacing the implants so why not eh !!!.

Let us know how you get on, good luck

Take care
Karen
xx

hi Clemy and lou I had my expander put in at the same time as my mastectomy Oct 07 and out in jan 08 and my implant fitted ,also offered to match up the other side at the same time a bit painful but worth it just waiting for my nipple !!! Looks like a hot cross bun at the mo and still uncomfortable not saying its a doddle by any means but tough uns like us on here can handle anything
good luck to you both Mazxxx

Hi Maz,
I am due to have a masectomy on the 15th and they have said that an implant is the best option for me. It wasn’t what I was expecting and I’m a bit nervous. Its good to see you sounding so positive about it!
Helen

Hi
I had immediate recon, following bilateral mastectomies, but had infection, then had to have implants removed, and redone with expanders over the space of about 6 months, finished reconstruction finally December 06, and had nipple tattooing a few months later. Left breast slightly wonky because of infection and scarring that it left, but they look brill in a decent bra. It really is the next step on the road to normality. I sometimes wish I’d had a later reconstruction, rather than rush into immediate and given my body a rest and then maybe I wouldn’t have ended up with an infection, but who knows, that’s life. I know that whatever I couldn’t be without my implants. When I’m an old lady and my chin is on my knees, the boobs will still be in the same place, ha ha. Not a pretty thought !!!

Julie

I am planning tissue expansion in the autumn following a right breast mastectomy 7 months ago. I am a 32C cup and did not have any tissue conserved post surgery. Just a little worried about (a) initial post operative pain - is it worse than after the mastectomy? (b) what if the breast looks totally different from the other one in position and size? Don’t really want the other breast touched. I haven’t put weight on - in fact the opposite - probably due to stopping diary produce in my diet. Hoping my boobs are small enough to make it possible but I don’t have much spare skin. Although I am liberally rubbing in vitamin E oil every night

How long does it take between the operation and the first top up with saline? Any replies welcome - especially from ‘C’ cuppers :slight_smile:

Hi girls

I was offered immediate recon with expander implant. I was a 34 C/D cup, depending on make - so ample. My implant was permanent, so after being filled did not need replacing - so one less op. The filling started about 3 weeks after my mastectomy, fairly slowly at first to give all the scarring time to heal. I had mine done 3 - 4 weekly for 5 months and then just a very quick (in and out) op to remove the port from under my arm. I was lucky, no infections and the port was in a good position so I could sleep on that side. The filling process is not painful, just a little tightening feeling. I was pleased with the results as in bras and bikinis I looked great.

However, a little word of warning: If you put on or loose weight, your boobs will be a diferent size. I put on over 1 st on Tamoxifen and by the time it was apparent, that I was now two different sizes, they had already removed the port, so I had to put up with it. Also my good boob was much more droopy. I was offered op on the good boob to reduce and lift, but did not want further surgery, so declined. I can’t say that the recon ever looked good, but with the right sort of bra ( padded t-shirt bras etc.) I managed. I think it depends on your shape and size (and level of droopiness) how good this type of recon looks. I was offered the LD flap recon, but as I already have shoulder problems, did not want to take the chance to have even more problems, so therefore opted for the expander implant.

I since had to have a radical mastectomy, and must say from the pain point of view this was a doodle compared to the recon op. I was in hospital for 7 days after the recon and in a fair amount of pain, but after the straight forward mastectomy out of bed within hours of the op, no pain (just took a few paracetamol) and home after 4 days once the drains were ok.

Good luck with your op.

Birgit

Hello, i was ready to cancel my recon op -with expander, I was so scared having got used to managing bras, clothes etc after my mastectomy. After a tearful session with my breast care nurse where I aired my fears of looking worse and ‘freakish’ after reconstruction i went ahead with surgery.
It was exciting from the minute i woke up with a little bump (100mls of saline). I was back at work in 2 weeks and now i go to expander clinic every wednesday afternoon, no pain apart from abit of back ache now and again. Changing bras and padding every week keeps mr busy, but it is really exciting seeing my boob growing. I am assured it will look even more real when i have the permanent tear-drop shaped implant in a few weeks,
The thought of change again is very scary, i adapted better than i thought to a mastectomy, but the reconstruction caused me alot more stress. i kept changing my mind on options etc, Once the process started i was happier than ever. I took my son swimming last week in a normal bikini, i felt so free,
good luck with your reconstruction.

Hi girls,

Thanks for the responses. Really helpful and reassuring. I’m even beginning to get excited about the prospect of a new boob for Christmas. Since I last wrote, I have been in touch with someone who has undergone tissue expansion and those conversations with her have been really helpful. In fact she kindly sent me some photos of the almost finished result - impressive. So difficult to get access to good photos. It has helped to see what it could look like. Anyhow, I’m due for a hospital appointment in August and hopefully surgery around November. Fingers and toes crossed.

Hi there,

Well I had my tissue expanded fitted Dec 23rd - an interesting Christmas pressie ! Pain wise - not too bad - just an overnight stay in hospital. Uncomfortable really and feels odd at bed time when I lie on my side. Guess it’s the chest muscle adjusting to something new. The implant sits quite high at this stage to expand the appropriate area of skin and eventually provide the necessary expansion to try and mirror the mature droop of the other boob ! Only 3 weeks since the op now. Going back to work tomorrow as I can avoid heavy lifting. Planning hopsital visits to pump up gently and ‘grow’ into a ‘C’ cup hopefully.

One nagging worry - will my boob be ready for the implant in time for the summer and a swimming costume !

I have an image of an expanded boob sitting high in my chest and I’m worried that I’ll have to be even more inventive in disguising the differences between boobs during this stage of development. I know a lot depends on the amount skin that I have to spare and how stretchy it is and how much ‘pumping’ I can cope with each time I go along to hospital. Is 5 months a reasonable expansion time? Just wondered roughly how long it has taken for others and what your experience was in summer months. Did you have to book a date in advance for the implant stage? Was the tissue expander good enough to look like a boob in a swimming costume / t-shirt in the interim stages prior to implant stage?

Look forward to your responses

Clare

The date for this appointment was

hi claire
ive had the expanders fitted in both boobs- i had them fitted in novemeber.
i no totally wher ur coming from when u say about lying on your side and being high! but it does get better i sleep fine now and they do seem to drop lower- my surgeon reccommened pushing on the top part of my chest so they go down!
with the pumping- i had the maximum dose all at once and to be honest i hardally felt a thing!
i have a date 2 talk about the 2nd part of my operation toward the end of march then hopefully have the 2nd part done in april- so all in all 6 months- but i have had no problems with mine
lisa xx