70429members
370430posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expat corner - French connection anyone?

48 REPLIES 48
Bahons2

Re: Expat corner - French connection anyone?

Bonjour.

How is everyone?

X

S

Lezignac2

Hello, we're clearing up after the storms, no damage thank goodness but the mud is quite horrible - everywhere. Dogs bring it in, cats bring it in, thank goodness we don't have the goats and llamas in the house too .....! I think him indoors would have them in though. ha ha

I'm in the "don't know what to do with myself" mode at the moment, we're off ski-ing 28th for a week then it's into hospital for the ovary removal.......eeek

At least I feel okay, that's something.

Love to all xx

peacock

Hello all

finally found this thread again! Good idea Bahons so lets hope the mods comply with your request.

In my part of SW France we too were battered by the storm. Big trees blown down all over the place, but thankfully as you know we live in a mobile home at present - that is our new house in the pic - and everything was ok for us.

Friends were without power for 3 days! We survived ok except we lost the internet for a day.

We're trying to get our quadmire prepared and ready to start growing veg and flowers, so today have been busy laying muck down and getting the chicken coup moved. Do any of you have hens? We had a very strange egg today, it resembled something like a thumb!

Can't wait for the weather to improve, long sunny days is just the ticket. Last year on chemo I had to stay indoors and completely lost all sense of body temperature.

All for now

P xx

Bahons2

Hi all

Well, this area of SW France took a pasting in the recent storm. We ourselves got away with an uprooted garden shrub and power cuts, but there was a lot of damage hereabouts, including trees blown right over into the Canal du Midi.

Snow flurries last Friday night and Saturday morning, but nothing much. Loads of rain - since November in fact, but no-one complains about it round here, as they need every drop. The Black Mountains have a fair bit of the white stuff and on a clear day you can see the Pyrenees from here - and they look magnificent at this time of year.

All the best for now,everyone.

X

S

PS Have suggested to Moderators, etc, that this thread is moved to 'In your area', what does everyone else think?

pineapple

Brittany -Had lots of snow. It was laying quick but then gone later in the day. Lots of severe frosts and icy roads.
The sun is out today and it feels like spring!

Lezignac2

Hello, this part of SW France took a battering mid Jan, last night we had a hail storm that battered our north facing bedroom window, which was a pain.......but apart from that, it has been quite mild and some nice sunny days. Long may it continue.
What about you folk in other parts of France?

Sending good vibes to one and all. xx

pineapple

Just found this thread again. I am still not used to this new site - still very confusing. I find something interesting then next time i cant find it.
It was a lovely mild sunny day yesterday thank goodness.
Hope you lot down southern France havent been blown or washed away?

Bahons2

Yes, I was really pleased, tho' I must admit I'd got myself all revved up for a fight about it and then they paid it back good as gold!

I agree, the health service here is very good; a model of simplicity and efficiency; even with the potential complication of money changing hands at various points in the system, it still appears to run smoothly. I've no complaint all about the size of my health insurance contributions (more than my NI in the UK) on the whole, as I'm more than pleased with my treatment here. And the insurance covers me - not Tom, Dick and Harry down the road, so I don't feel it's disappearing without trace into the government coffers, as with NI contributions.

Hmmm...the age demographic. As you say, a problem, but maybe less so in France than other places. I've heard reports that French women are having more children than anywhere else in western Europe...

X

S

pineapple

Hi, thats good news ! occasionaly i have got meds (sleeping pills when i was on them) through the 100% free long duration thing when i shouldnt have done.
I do think the system here is brilliant, i know they are having there problems here in France but hopeully they can sort it out. Its probly because of the age of most of the population. It was a good idea to make you register with a doc so you dont get rembursed if you go to a different one. This will stop people going from one to another i am sure.
SX

Bahons2

Thanks, Peacock!

BTW, I got a full refund from CA/Pacifica last week. Yippee.

X

S

peacock

Hi to all us expat Froggies, just thought I'd bump up again in case anyone new is around

Hope everyone is doing well

P xxx

Bahons2

bump for mustarm

S

Bahons2

Hi Peacock

We've (well, me actually!) just decided on a new insurer. Spooky - I was just about to post on here for Pineapple.

We're changing to Swiss Sante and it is going to be 140 euros per month (middle of the range cover) for the two of us (OH is quite a bit older than me - I'm 52). It's flexible - we can choose different plans and different levels of cover for each of us, which is useful, if we want to.

X

S

peacock

Hello all

We've had a quote from AGF its 950 euros - thats for the 3 of us. It would be more but they're giving us 2 months as a special offer.

It doesn't cover much for dentist/glasses/protheses - so before we change we're going to get teeth done, eyes done etc.

Happy Christmas to all

Bahons2

Will do, Pineapple - I am going to try to tackle this one in earnest today.

I don't recall off-hand the benfits of the top tier - anything and everything, I imagine - we took a 'belt and braces approach' last year! I do want to keep a 'cure thermale' in tho', as I have lymphoedema.

X

S

pineapple

Let me know if you get a better quote and where from. I think i said before ours is one up from the eco range and it coveres us for almost everything even most of our dental stuff. I dont know what the beneifits of tne top tier?

Bahons2

No, that's for the top tier, Pineapple. But I still think it's incredibly steep! (have asked them for a quote for the middle band - but pretty sure we'll be taking our business elsewhere next year, anyway)

X

S

pineapple

OMG, surely that cant be right? Is that for the basic eco level? if not can you ask about that?

Bahons2

Hi everyone

Just had a quote from CA/PAcifica for nest year's health insurance....sit down.....2561 euros!

Can anyone beat that?

X

S

pinklinda

There was only my friend Brenda and I and one other lady, don't know her name, very pleasant probably the oldest in the group longish greyish blond hair if that helps.
If people have all paid up then it shouldn't really matter how many turn up as everyone has made a financial committment so it should cover expenses.
Shame for it to stop. I have only been 4 times, the first time we couldn't get in the hall as the teacher didn't have a key but I have enjoyed it, everyone is friendly and no one seems to take it too seriously. Gives us all a bit of exercise without being too energetic!
The teacher suggested we go to another class she does the other side of Carhaix, can't remember the name, you don't have to join just pay 5 euro when you feel like going. I don't reckon anyone will be that keen on travelling especially in the winter even if people share lifts as she suggests.
I don't know if she has to pay for the room, I think so as one week it was really cold and she was saying you expect it to be heated if you book it, but as I said before if people have paid in advance then the money shouldn't be a problem.
Hope you have a good time at your parents.
See you on Monday.
Love Linda x

pineapple

Oh no ! sorry Linda. I actiually forgot.I am going away to my parents tomorrow and i had to pick my son up from work as we are sharing my car.
By the time i had realised the time it was 7.45 so if i had got ready i wouldnt have made it till 8. I was so busy getting sons dinner sorted and trying to organised stuff for going away it slipped my mind. Sue was at the hospital and didnt get back in time to come. Oh what a shame. Does she have to pay for the salle de fete room? If she doesnt then she is making enough per hour to still do it. Maybe she doesnt like doing it to a handfull.
Who went last night?

pinklinda

Hope everything is ok with you. There were only 3 of us and the teacher tonight. She said it will be on next week but that will be the last one as there are not enough people. She will return cheques for the next terms.
See you then
Love Linda x

pineapple

And me - the teacher isnt small but she doesnt seem to wobble. lol
Yes see you tonight - hope a few more go than last week.

pinklinda

Well, they say it is a small world. I can't believe we have had a 'meet' and not realised. See you there tonight. Can't believe I go, I certainly have plenty of belly to dance!
Love Linda x

pineapple

Yes. me and Sue go belly dancing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cant believe it!

pinklinda

Hi Pineapple. I haven't been to the rendezvous but have had coffee in the 'welsh bar' Cafe de la Place quite often. I may have seen you. Do you go dancing on a Monday night in Callac? I cann't believe I do!!!
The Rue de Callac is the main road between Callac and Guingamp.
Love Linda x

pineapple

Hi Linda
I live next door to the libray and opposite the social medical place. Which one is rue de callac?
I have lived here for 9 years, forst 7 years at Calanhel then we moved to this house 2 years ago.
Maybe you know me by sight as i always wear a headscarf? do you go to the 'rendezvous' bar?

Lezignac2

Hello, I live in Saint Antonin Noble Val and have my treatment in Montauban, anyone about here?
I am having quite a problem with tumour markers here - they swore by them in Guildford where we used to live and whre I was cx. This year I've had 2 ops, one for removal of most of my recon - pagets disease, and now my CA125 has doubled again, it was double last time, and they want me to have another MRI, I had one in May and it was the worst experience of my life. I am resisting but it's not going down well.
Fed up with lots of scans and treatemnts, my CT scan this week was okay hence they don't understand why the markers are rocketing. Any views?
Thanks
Karen

pinklinda

I know Callac well, I actually live on the Rue de Callac so it sounds as if we are very near. If you have travelled from Callac to Guingamp the you must have passed our cottage. I visit the market most Wednesdays. They say it is a small world.
Love Linda x

pineapple

Hello Linda
I am 25 klms from Guingamp !!!! in a town called Callac!
I had treatment etc at St. Brieuc in the 'centre de excellence' and it was like a luxury hotel. You could choose an al la carte menu if you wanted with wine or champagne !
Were are you 'living' lol now?

pinklinda

Hi All,
I have been reading this thread with interest as after owning a house in Brittany for 10 years we have finally moved over. I have taken early retirement and we have been here for only 6 weeks. That is long enough for us to know we do not want to go back. We will now need to do all the paper work as at the moment we are holidaying so to speak on with our E111 but will need to register soon, before I run out of letrozole.
I am very encouraged by reading that your experience of the French system is so good. We visited a friend in hospital in Guingamp last week and must say her room was the equivalent to private in England, it was spotless and the no fee parking was also welcome.
Best wishes.
Linda x

Bahons2

Hi again, Pineapple. We are paying quite a bit more than you, but I think the loading is mainly on account on my husband's age - I'm 52 and he is 15 years older.

I'm almost certainly going to change mutuelle - nearly every quote from other companies for next year comes in at less than we paid Pacifica this year! And Pacifica themselves won't give me a quote at all until 15th Dec, which I'm not comfortable with, as it doesn't leave much time to get everything in place by 1st Jan.

Thanks for your help.

X

S

pineapple

Yes, Credit Agricole and its also Pacifica. We took ours out about 9 years ago, just the eco tier, bt then when i needed afew crowns etc they suggested i up it for a year to cover that which i did. We didnt change it back down then i needed a hysterectomy, so wanted my own room and then 2 years later BC so again didnt want to share my room with another person. The day i checked in i was abit distraught as they said they didnt have any single rooms left. However, they said that there wast anyone else in my room so unless they had an imergency i would have it all to myself. I had it to myself and so didnt get charged the extra bit for having a single.
When we took it out we were just turned 40 and the kids were just 12 and 14 so dont know how that compares with your CA costs.

Bahons2

Hi Pinapple

Thanks for that, I take it that by CA you mean Credit Agricole? We did ours through them are are currently with a company called Pacifica.

We are paying more than you - I know the premiums are heavily age-weighted and I went for the top tier last year. Am shopping around a lot more this time!

X

S

pineapple

HI, we have ours with CA, to be honest we didnt shop around for it because we were ripped off abit with generali with house & motorbike insurance so we moved everything (apart from cars) over to CA. We pay about 70 Euros and thats for 4 of us and thats not the bottom tier either. They pay about 40 euros per day (or might be abit more) towards my single room in hosp and pay most of our dental stuff too.
They decided to pay over 300 euors last year towards my wig but did say it was a one off and they wouldnt be doing it again.
SX

Bahons2

Hi...

Slightly different topic:

I am currently shopping around for quotes for health cover for next year.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a 'mutuelle', or any that should be avoided?

Thanks

X

S

Bahons2

Hi Pineapple - I will certainly post again if/when I find out more about what's offered here.

By the way, I have actually just had an e-mail from miaonline and they have told me that they will cover British passport holders living in France, so that may be another option.

S

pineapple

No, i have just tried before when traveling Eu and Turkey and they just say there isnt any and you cant get it. I have only seen it when its included in the package hols.
Can you let me know the details if you get it sorted please.Thanks.

Bahons2

Hi Pineapple

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have an EHIC, Carte Vitale, Mutuelle, etc, so no probs really travelling in Europe.

I have seen " Assurance Voyage" on adverts on websites (including my bank's) and in insurance companies' windows around town here, but haven't done anything about it yet (it's a bit early), but was just wondering if anyone else had any experience of arranging this.

S

pineapple

Hi, i have asked various assurance companys and they say that in France not only no we not have a BCN but you cant buy travel insurance! aparently it doesnt exsist. To obtain it i think you have to just buy the one you get from a holiday if you buy a package one but you cant if its on its own. If you have your carte vitale then this is supposed to give you automatic coverage from any EU country but i dont know what you would do if traveling outside.

Bahons2

Has anyone had any experience of obtaining travel insurance as a French resident and as someone who has been treated for bc ?

Was it:

Harder? Easier? Impossible? Cheaper/more expensive than you expected?

(We are hoping to travel outside the EEA next year, fingers crossed (as always))

Any thoughts/input gratefully received.

S

Bahons2

Yes, they seem to have their priorities right when it comes to healthcare - and they seem to do so much with so few people, as well. My doctor's surgery is open Mon to Sat, including evenings. There are three doctors in all, only ever one (lovely) receptionist on (and sometimes the surgery runs wihout one altogether for a morning!) and not a computer in sight. Fascinates me, I must say.

X

S

pineapple

Hi everyone, oh yes i forgot about the free parking AND dont forget the FREE TAXI'S to all your appointments! We are very lucky haing the health service here and my mum said " its bad enough you have BC but thank god you are in France" , its funny they are so behind the times in such a lot yet in medical matters about the best in the world - lets hope it remains.

peacock

Hi Bahons, Pineapple and Jo Jo

As you know I too am in France, but I just thought I would post in case we can start up a little expat community here.

I'm near Sarlat in the Dordogne.

xx

Bahons2

Hi, Pineapple

I have, by and large, been very pleased with my treatment so far. I've particularly appreciated being able to have things done so quickly and how approachable all the hospital staff, no matter what their position, are. (OH loves the free parking, too!) My GP has been fantastic, very pro-active, on my behalf.

pineapple

Hi, yes there is a good few of us on here that live in France. I have been living in Brittany for almost 9 years now. I found the service and treatment i have recieved second to non.
I have a brilliant onc team and trust them 110%. If you need any drugs (no matter what the cost) you get what you need. The french health care system is in trouble and have had some recent shake ups making it harder for people to joing the system.
How are you finding your tretament so far?

Bahons2

Hi Jojo

Thanks for replying! (I'm in Aude, by the way).

Are you intending to become a French resident?

X

S

JoJo11

Hi,

I don't live there all the time, but I have a house in the Languedoc. I'm in the process of retiring and will be spending more time there. All my treatment though has been in England so probably not of interest.

Jojoxxx

Bahons2

Expat corner - French connection anyone?

Hi

I've recently relocated to France and am now receiving treatment here.

I've noticed a few others mention that they are here too and I would be interested in hearing about their experiences.

I was also wondering if I had any near(ish!) neighbours? (I'm in the Languedoc).

X

S