Experience of sentinel node biopsy

Hello,
I’ve got a grade 2/3 invasive with, so far, 2 negative lymph node FNA’s.
I’m starting neoadjuvant chemo at the end of June. Prior to this, I’ve got a sentinel node biopsy.
I am generally optimistic and felt positive about how I’d cope with the biopsy. However, at my Pre-op today, there was lots of focus on how long it will take to recover, drive etc. To be honest, I felt quite depressed!
I know they have to give worst case scenario but I’d really appreciate anyones experience of having the biopsy and how long it took to get back to driving etc.
Thanks
xx

I’m sorry to read that you are having a difficult time at the moment. I’m sure some of the other users will be along to support you soon.

In the meantime maybe you would like to talk to a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

I don’t drive but within a week I was doing housework all be it carefully probably doing everything the bc nurse told me not to but I believe that you should listen to your body it will tell you when you go too far good luck honey with the chemo stay strong and I hope this helps :))

Hi, I had WLE and SNB and was driving in less then 2 weeks. Bandages removed about 7 days after op and then surgeon said drive when you feel comfortable. I later had an axilla clearance and that took a little longer to recover and drive but not too much - again went with how my body felt.
Helen

Dear Tiger 77,
I had my SNL biopsy three weeks ago and just about back to normal now. Some fluid under the arm, but otherwise not too bad. It ws uncomfortable and inconvenient rather than painful but do plan to take it easy! I would say that depending on what side of the body you are your having your SNl done on, you will find the seat belt more of a hinderance when it comes to driving or being a passenger. I had left removed so driving was more comfortable that being on the passanger side. Good luck.

I had a WLE and SNB and was told it would be about 2 weeks off the road but when my dressings were removed after a week they said my movement was great and would have no probs driving. The BC nurses will give you some gentle exercises to do and this should help get you on your feet quickly. Hope it goes well

Echoing the above your surgeon will tell you two weeks which is standard I think fo r lumpectomy and or lymph node removal. You will probably be ok drive earlier but be aware that if you do so and you have an accident you may not be covered on your insurance

Dear all,
thanks for the replies. I feel more positive and fingers crossed I’ll be back to normal pretty soon!
Kind regards
Sarah

I’m in the same boat. I had wle a snb last week and my arm feels fine but I am going to ring my insurance today.
Sam x

Well girls my insurance company have said I can drive- hurray. They said as I left hospital with notes saying no driving for 24 hours I am fine.