cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eyebrows and Lashes

26 REPLIES 26
loupylou

Re: Eyebrows and Lashes

I'm obviously in a world of my own as I never thought about going into my usual hairdressers with virtually no hair and being embarrassed about how I looked. I am just too mean to pay the really high prices just to have a millimetre trimmed around my ears!! My sisters hairdresser calls into her house to do hers ( she works in a big salon but moonlights) so I tag on. In fairness she didn't charge me for my first snip as it took all of 5 minutes!! As I started developing an Afro look which is not good if you are pale and grey I had it chopped right back in the hope it would grow straight again. Sadly it hasn't but as Deb points out at least I have a full covering! Xx

angielav

My hairdresser has cut both my wigs and my hair and because he is aware of my situation has always made my appointments after the last person has gone ... and even offered to do it downstairs more privately .. if I feel uncomfortable. It hasn't bothered me so far.. but it will now most of my hair has gone .

AndieT

I didn't really think about him seeing me without my wig because when I first lost my hair I hated my wig until I took it to him and he cut it for me similar to own hair.

Andie

ChoccieMuffin

My eyebrows have carried on falling out, even though I'm now 3.5 weeks after FEC6, as have my eyelashes which are very short and stumpy, with bald patches. The last of my original eyelashes made a break for it weeks ago and I was hoping the new ones would stay put and grow, but they're a bit fickle.

I was also a bit disappointed to see the hair growth that has sprouted on my head has decided it wants to move out, and now drops out if I rub my head. And of course I find it completely impossible NOT to rub my head... Ho hum. I thought that might happen as I stopped shaving my scalp just before FEC5, but it's still rather disappointing. Think I might leave the fur on my bonce to see what it does, and if it gets too tatty, just get the good ole Bic out again.

jaynek

Hi Andie

Yes, that is the sensible approach and will possibly try it although I still very conscious of how different I look with my wig off! Oh dear, that whole vanity thing. I almost believe the wig is the real me!!

AndieT

Hi

When my hair need that first tidy up I contacted my hairdresser and explained. He allowed me to go to the salon after the last appointment when there was only me and him in the shop and he did it at the back well away from the big windows. Ask. The worst thing they can say is no and then they will have lost a customer for ever.

Andie

jaynek

In relation to suggestions that wearing a wig prevents hair growth, here is the response from cancer hair care: -

No. Many people continue wearing their wigs, hats and head coverings until they feel comfortable with the length of the new hair. It is an entirely personal choice.

Most wigs worn for temporary wearing have a breathable mesh or weft device which allows air to circulate and new hair to grow back. So wearing a regular wig would not prevent hair from growing. I would recommend that once new hair growth begins you clean your scalp daily starting a shampoo and conditioning routine to provide an ideal opportunity for new hair growth. This is just so that you keep your scalp nice and healthy.

jaynek

Hi Deb

I will try the Rapidlash, thanks. As for the haircut, I feel exactly the same, how do you broach the subject without doing an unveiling in the midst of a busy salon!

What I do know is that I will have to pluck up the courage from somewhere! I can't go on like this forever. My own hair is starting to tuck out from under my wig at the back! A bit of a giveaway!!

lazycat

Lou, I was hysterical at reading about your Michael Jackson wig lol. At least you have coverage and do not look like a monk from the Canterbury Tales!!!!
I have to say that all that baby hair stuff is a load of baloney, my hair is fine and has a strange colour I have never seen before on me, especially as a baby!
p.s. you can buy FAST on Amazon.

Jayne, I also thank my wig for the fringe! It covers the eyebrows (or lack of). I too do not have the courage to go for a tidy up. What do you do, just walk into the hairdresser and take your wig off in front of all the other customers and say "hello, can I have a trim please???" I don't think I have the courage to do that!
As for the eyelashes, do try Rapidlash, it really works

Deb xx

jaynek

Oh Loupylou, I love it! So glad someone else refers to their hair as anything but 'baby hair'! I definitely would say my hair regrowth is very soft and fine but a strange colour (OK, thats how grey looks!) Seriously, mostly dark on top and back with sides grey. But dull, with no lustre whatsoever!! I still wear my second wig and haven't quite plucked up the courage to go for that first tidy up and reveal the 'erm, new me' to the world. As for my lashes they are there but much shorter and my eyebrows are fine and a bit messy. Good job the wig fringe covers them.............!! Ah, the joys! J.

loupylou

FAST eh Deb?! Where do you get that from then? Do they do one called FAST BLONDE AND GORGEOUS as well as I could really do with that one lol! I have full coverage but it feels like it did before it fell out with chemo - really sore at the roots and a horrible texture. The people who told me it comes back like baby hair were clearly fibbing! I'm sure in my baby pics I do not look like I'm wearing a Michael Jackson wig!! Xx

Africa1

Hi all,
i lost all my hair and eyelashes and have very few eyebrows left. My last chemo was in May. My hair started growing back about 4 weeks ago and I now have about 2mm growth but good coverage. My eyelashes are growing but are still quite short but my eyes have been very dry all the way through chemo however I do wear continual wear contact lenses which have been fine. This week my eyebrows have almost fallen out altogther which i thought was odd so long after chemo.

lazycat

Hi Andie

I only wear the wig at work as I daren't go commando as I look like friar Tuck lol. But, now that you mention it, while I was on chemo I used to wear a hat at home, even in bed, as I always felt cold (December, January), maybe that was not such a good idea..,

Lou, you always make me laugh lol. I also have the Lush soap and I have to admit it leaves my hair very soft! Since you have full coverage, why don't you try the FAST shampoo? Apparently it has very good reviews and makes your hair grow 45% faster than normal rate...

Deb xx

loupylou

Just to let you know I bought a shampoo bar in Lush which is formulated for hormonal (pregnancy)hair loss. It's been flying off the shelves they told me although I was the only baldy there on Sunday! It smells pretty noxious but ok if you like cinammon spice. I used it this morning and it left my sprouty bits nice and silky! Re the eyebrows mine did have a growth spurt but they haven't come back as dark as they were but very blonde so they don't look like they're there. I'm still using the Lancome eyebrow pencil I got from the LGFB workshop as there are one or two gaps. Be careful dyeing them though as a friend has just done this and she now looks like Cruell de Ville! Xx

AndieT

Hi Lazycat

Do you wear your wig all the time? Could it be that the new baby fine growth is being rubbed away by the wig. Like when a baby gets a bald spot on the back of their head from laying down all the time? Just a thought

Good Luck

Andie

lazycat

HI

I had my last Tax on the 11th Feb and I still have no eyebrows! Sorry, telling a lie, I have 2 hairs on my right one! Thankfully my eyelashes have come out all of a sudden 3 weeks ago. I did use Rapidlash and although the results were not immediate I persevered with it and they seem to have sprung overnight all of a sudden. They are now gettin longer and fuller so I am assuming this Rapidlash is good.
I am also struggling with my hair, but I must be an exception as everyone else on here seems to have a good coverage 3 weeks after their last chemo. It's 5 months since my last Tax and the top of my head is still pretty bald except for a few strands. I have now bought the Revita shampoo and started using it today, let's see if it makes a difference, I am sick of wearing this awful wig!

Ninja

I lost all my hair through 3 lots of EC. I'm now 5/15 through weekly Tax and I have some hair growing on my head - about 1mm long now. Eyebrows and lashes still virtually non-existent, making my face look bald, too. Started using Rapidlash on the theory that if the head (and shin!) hair is coming back, that the follicles are awakening.

Seaside_Lady

Hi everyone. I finished 18 weeks of the lovely Taxol at the end of February and my lashes have mostly come back now. I tried the Rapidlash from Boots once treatment finished and don't know if it helped or not.
My top lashes look long but are very "spidery" when I put on mascara and it looks a bit cloggy, if you know what I mean! My lower ones are
not as long as they were, but fingers crossed they will get better. So ladies, they do come back!!! Now, if I could only get rid of the
peripheral neuropathy, I'd be laughing

nessp

Hi, I had my last tax early April, my eyebrows are coming along nicely and eyelashes too although not quite there yet! My hair is growing ok but not enough that Im happy not to wear my wig or a scarf yet! My eyes were very watery and a little sore, I used to out vaseline on in the corners sometimes which helped a little. My nails are still falling off though, lost another toe nail at the weekend thats the third, my finger nails are yuk but new nails are growing underneath the yukky ones, def going to treat myself to a manicure once I have proper nails! xxx

DJ007

My last tax romorrow. All nails seem ok, but lashes and brows very thin on the ground. Have already invested in some Rapidlash - think I'll wait til 3 weeks post chemo before I start using it - too expensive to waste!

Dx

silvershar

Hi everyone, glad I found this thread, Im 3 weeks post tax and was wondering about growing the eyebrows and lashes too, i hate having no lashes and mine too my eyes water like mad, its so annoying look like im crying all the time!! so im inspired tht will start to grow back soon, eyebrows not bad but no lashes, tho make up helps and apparantely being dark but glad got the gist of it and can hope they will make a reappearnace soon ---- how is everyone elses nails.... mine totally long and strong!!!! xxxxxxxxxxx

Inyanga

Thanks ladies for all the replies......there is life after Tax then?!

hope4444

So about 3 months then for brows/lashes?

elizabethtrace

hi, I had my last tax end of april too, my bottom eyelashes are just re-appearing, my eyebrows are just re-appearing, my top eyelashes are falling out!!!!

everyone is different, I dont know how long the tax actually stays in your system, or how long the ses actually stay with you,

Best Wishes Liz x

mrsbird

Hi.
My eyebrows and eyelashes left me after my last tax in april, but now have grown back to what they were before. My lashes look at longer too:) I put eyeliner on my eyelid rims, (am sure thats not the right word!) and it looked ok, ,made me look less bald in the eyelash department:))) Wouldnt help with the eye watering though!
Kerry xx

fairyqueen

mine grew back quite soon after and have grown really quick just noticed very short ones to start but now my lashes are longer than before treatment, brows are back too , i finished tax in march x

Inyanga

Eyebrows and Lashes

Hi
I am 3+ weeks after my last Tax chemo. My head hair started coming back the week before my last Tax. Can anyone advise me when I could expect my eyebrows and eyelashes to re-emerge? My eyes constantly water without the lashes and I just look awful without them.

I tried false eyelashes and I think my eyes watered even more from the laughing - I just looked ridiculous, but the best laugh I've had for six months....

Sally