FAMILY HISTORY CLINIC MAMMOGRAM.

hello,

I had a mammogram last monday (28th) at the family history clinic - my last one was July 2012, I am 44.   I have three cousins - one died of BC aged 45.  The other two (sisters), both had lumps removed and radiotherapy, aged 42 and 52. I received a letter on friday requesting I go back on Novemver 12th - for further x-rays and maybe an ultrasound as these will give a clearer report to my consultant.  I’m now worried sick.

has anyone else had this.  I had a physical breast examination before the mammogram and the nurse said everything was ok.  I can’t feel any lumps myself. Any advice would be great. thank you

Adele

Hello ABW

Welcome to the forums.

Whilst waiting for replies maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 600 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

best wishes

June, moderator

Hi adele, most people recalled dont have cancer, but with family history ladies they are often a bit more cautious… Something that show up on mammos are very tiny like tiny little flecks of calcium and they need to find out for sure that its normal, sometimes a bit of breast tissue overlaps and looks a bit denser on mammo and some are benign things like fibroadenomas… But obviously with a family history its important that want to clarify if it cancer so they can treat it quickly and at an early stage.

On your letter there will most likely be a number to call… So you could give them a ring and ask if they are concerned or just not sure.

Hugs xxx