FEC and temperature during i/v

Hi,

I just wanted to post this as I had a really dreadful experience with my last FEC, cycle 2 out of 6. My first treatment was a breeze, no pain, very little discomfort, and I had the cold cap on (manual one, not the machine). My side effects were not too bad, apart from bad nausea and headaches week one, and then I had low immune count on  bloods which delayed cycle 2.  Lots of good food to correct that, much protein, lot’s of the right veg and fruit and  some exercise (am a bit lazy with exercise :wink: )

Cycle 2 pharmacy was delayed with getting the drugs to the day unit so when mine arrived they immediately started administering them. As they were still very cold, it was a most unpleasant experience as my veins constricted due to the temperature but the drug still gets pushed in.  I am quite a tough cookie, so it was really sore for me to react like this. I just want to warn anyone NOT to let this happen to you. Make sure the drugs are room temperature so you do not have to suffer and end up frightened to go back!! I did alert the nurse but she said it was normal as the drug was cold. Ha! Please check this and don’t suffer.

I asked for Aprepitant for cycle 2 which they did not want to give me, cost I think? But when treatment day came there was confusion and I was given this AFTER the FEC (should be 1 hour before) and it was remarkable how much better I felt the 2 days following. I also had Ondansetron but don’t think it agreed me as I felt ill for 2 days and felt like a vegetable :frowning: Shall fight for Aprepitant again!

I still have a lot of hair, but did have to chop it off myself as it got all knotted when I washed it and could not untangle it. Hairdresser rectified my attempt. Have used the coldcap, once the manual one and last FEC used the machine - Dignicap?

Good good luck everyone who is going through this - it’s quite a  journey to say the least. I still feel positive, probably  as I feel so much better today :wink: I just want to come out of this and never have to look back!

Hi Anniegirl1, 

Thanks for the tip - my meds were very cold last time and my veins not happy.  The onc unit use a little heat pad on my arm during chemo to help the viens stay warm.

Best wishes

Jx