1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEC chemotherepy

Vicart

Re: FEC chemotherepy

Hi hope your taste buds are a bit better. Just keep looking forward to that cup of tea.
venice25

hi

just a note to say things do improve SJB you will enjoy a cup of tea again this was my worst i love a cuppa especially 1st thing in the morning. That metalic taste is vile, have you tried the new flavours of Lucazade ? Finished my treatment now, chemo and rads and energy levels are very much better. you will get through it .

It will soon be just a memory

alice45

FEC2 was accompanied by IV Emend which has only just lessened the nausea slightly, particularly at night, but the metallic taste of FEC1 has been replaced by an even more foul slimey fatty taste that seems to coat the mouth and throat! You can't win... Unfortunately ginger doesn't help me at all, and I hate pineapple anyway, so it's back to the elderflower. Though coffee and tea are now drinkable again, so at least the caffeine might keep me from sleeping all day.

SJB

Sucking or chewing anything with natural ginger in it will help the nausea. I have a pot of crystalised ginger at hand.

And pineapple, either fresh or dried (from health food shops) is very good for tackling that awful metalic taste. I have dried pineapple chunks from Holland and Barrett on hand as well.

I long for the day when a cup of tea tastes nice again - I haven't been able to drink it since starting chemo, and it's driving me nuts! 

You really need to try things out to see what works for you. A lot of us find that there is something we used to love eating or drinking that we can't stand right now. It's hard when we can't have so many things due to the diet restrictions and being unable to handle spices etc as well.

alice45

I'm just approaching my 2nd dose of FEC and the metallic taste was awful, and lasted nearly 2 weeks. I tried adding things to water and ended up with elderflower cordial, which isn't too sweet but seems to cut through the metal. But it affects everything, doesn't it?! I've now got a long list of things which I used to like but won't try again until this is all over. Means the diet is somewhat limited, but I've found that regular food intake - even small amounts - actually helps with the nausea. And I've rediscovered the delights of toasted crumpets!

fairyguardian

First cycle of Fec yesterday, hardly able to eat or drink nausea is nasty bt worst of all is this metal taste in my mouth it i do try and drink.  Any susgetion please? I am new to the forums

msmcann

Re: FEC chemotherapy

All the best for your treatment. I was on FEC - (made me laugh thinking of Father Ted - something had to!) 

The best thing I found was getting into a routine. Knowing how my body was going to react before it did so knowing what I can or can't do. Thankfully I was relatively well throughout, however the first weekend after my dose on a Wednesday I would go into my bedroom and shut the door. No visitors, not much in the way of food just tried to sleep it off, thankfully by the Monday feeling more with it and could get on with my life a bit more. Also came across www.heathershair.co.uk a lightweight alternative to a wig, which I ended up wearing the whole time and think I only used my wig a handful of times. Hope you find your routine and it's gentle on you. All the best. 

Deb28

Hi MonicaB,
Thanks for the reply. Yes i've already stocked up on anti bac wipes and the handgel..just going to try and keep the germs at bay as best I can.
I also have a wonderful sister in law who is fortunate enough to be able to take a few months off work and is going to help out by cooking us healthy meals.
I'll also take your advice and get lots of fruit ice lotties in stock.
Thanks very much
MonicaB

Hi Deb28

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but glad for you that that your treatment is underway.

How lovely to have the birth of your grandchild to look forward to. I'm sure that happy thought will help a lot in the coming months.

I'm just finished 6xFEC and if it helps - here are my top tips

Join the monthly threads on this forum. The support and advice from the other ladies is invaluable

Tell your medical team about any side effects that bother you. They can advise and prescribe to help with most side effects.

Hand washing 100 times a day! Well maybe that's a bit excessive, but anything you can do to reduce the risk of infection is worthwhile.

Be good to yourself and arrange treats along the way.

Find foods that work for you if/when taste buds are affected. For me, fruit ice lollies helped.

Your friends and family will want to help - so do let them if it suits. I must admit that I felt slightly guilty the day someone cleaned my fridge for me, but it felt good to!

Try to get booked onto a look good feeling better workshop, it's really wonderful.

If you feel like it, make contact with a local organisation like Macmillan or Maggies centre. There is a lot of support and information out there.

Rest when you feel you need to.

Remember that all the side effects are temporary and will end once you finish chemo.

I hope this helps - good luck with the next phase of your treatment. Everyone is different & everyone's response to chemo is different - so there is no right or wrong way to feel. All best wishes

Deb28

Hi, I'm also new to this forum. I was diagnosed on December 30th with early stage bc. I had breast cysts drained for the third year running in Nov and purely by chance, the nurse spotted a lump that she wasn't sure of. I feel lucky in one respect as the consultant said I wouldn't have known until the lump was prob 20mm or my next mammogram (I'm 44). One biopsy later confirmed stage 1-2 and an MRI later confirmed three other lesions. I had a mastectomy and reconstruction Jan 28th. Had my results and I actually had three lesions, 2.5mm grade 2, 5mm grade 2 and 6mm grade 1. I had lymph nodes removed and only a Trace was found in my sentinel lymph node but all other 18 nodes were clear and consultant said that was good news as they had taken away the breast and it hadn't spread! I go to see the onc next tues as still got to have 6 x fec-d chemo which my consultant said was as a precaution, followed by tamoxifen as mine were all oestrogen fed. I've also had my hair cut short and having a wig fitted Monday to match my new short hair, previously had long hair and a friend who's been through the same advised me to cut it short now and get used to short hair and it's also easier to cope with once it starts to fall out. I'm feeling really positive but have moments of feeling scared about what to expect from the side effects. I think I can cope with most things as got through drastic surgery less than 4wks after diagnosis but still have moments where my nerves get the better of me. I just keep thinking that my hair will grow back, I'll be through It by July etc and I have our first grandchild to look forward to as my daughter is due in August. Any advice on the fec-d or just getting through the chemo would be appreciated. Thanks x
Jo_BCC

Hi Mammy3

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums where I am sure you will get lots of good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.  To help you along I have put for you below the link to BCC's publication for FEC chemotherapy which I hope you find helpful.

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/fec-chemotherapy-bcc96

Take  care,

Jo, Moderator

MAMMY3

Hi new to this thread. Diagnosed end December. Mum of 3 DD and 46 yrs old.Had lumpectomy on right breast and SNB mid Jan only to find out that high grad cancer cells found elsewhere. Will have mastectomy and reconstruction after last FEC probably June/July.Had my 1st FEC last week. First 5 days were hellish. Stil have really blinding headaches temple lobe feels like it will burst! Hair cut really short waiting for the loss. Sleeping hygiene all over the place!

Realy happy to join the forum as your responses are helping with the adjustment. Heart

alice45

Ro and chascat, many thanks.
pea395

Hi Dawn

I'm 31, I'm having 8 cycles of what my oncologist said is the strongest FEC-T he gives!

I am on cycle 5 now, I did 4 FEC and just had the first tax.  I was so scared before I started! everyone is different of course, but Im here to say it's been totally, totally fine!  straight after the FEC I only felt a little bit queasy for a couple of days, and maybe 1 or 2 days I'd feel very tired suddenly.  With taxotere, I got a little bit of muscle aches for a couple of days and a runny nose and that's it so far.  Of course my hair fell out too.

The main thing I think is to stay active and carry on with your life.  It can feel isolating but if you can keep working and doing the things you always do I find it really helps keep me happy and sane!

Best of luck and remember, everyone's body is different, you may not suffer all the side effects so don't stress out about them too much beforehand!

chascat

Hi Alice, you need a prescription for Aprepitant, it's brilliant, very expensive and they don't like to prescribe unless absolutely necessary, but it really does work. I was extremely sick after my first FEC, my onc prescribed this before my second and I wasn't sick again, I did feel nauseous on occasion but nothing that was really too troublesome.

Ro21

Hi Alice, I started my FEC-T in December like SJB. I've been very fortunate with my side effects so far but several of our December Angels have suffered like you. Have you looked back in some of the older monthly threads, it helps sometimes to learn your not alone & usually someone else has already walked your path before you- just don't let things worry you, we've all had completely different reactions to the chemo.

I think what I wanted to say to you is be kind to yourself, if u feel like a little weep or you feel down don't fight it, you have to do whatever your body needs in order to get though this terrible time & get through it you will. The early cycles are harder emotionally, when you get further along (FEC-T # 5 on Monday) you feel better coz you can see the end. We need to look at chemo as a friend-it's helping us to stay alive for as long as possible.

Good luck, hope u get the sickness under control x
alice45

Hi Jaffacakes, I was replying to SJB's helpful post and then up you popped! I haven't actually been sick, so my sympathies, but the constant nausea 24/7 just saps your will to live, doesn't it! I have generally reacted so badly to this first cycle (every side effect in the book except for hair loss and extreme tiredness, which I am sure lurk just down the line) that they have promised to review all meds before the next infusion on 3 March. It just feels as though the chemo is destroying your soul as well as your body because this constant whining weeping and staggering around just isn't me, and I don't know where the real me has gone...

But today the sun is shining, so I'll postpone putting head in gas oven until I've had a nice walk!

alice45

I had a moan over the phone to the BCN (poor long suffering lady!) and she faxed over a prescription to the GP for Cyclizine which I am now taking. It doesn't seem to be helping the nausea which is reducing anyway, though still there from time to time, and has increased the nasty metallic taste in the mouth, so I shan't be having any more of that! I shall insist on ondansetron, which they didn't give me as they were worried about constipation. I may have to promise to eat prunes... 

Jaffacakes

Hi Alice

I've also just had one round of FEC. I was badly affected by nausea, and didn't get enough anti sickness. I had domperidone, and one dose of ondansetron which I used early on helpline advice as I was very sick the first night.

I had to go to my GP (but the chemo unit would have given extra) to get more ondansetron and took it with domperidone (they work well together apparently) for about 4/ 5 days.  It helped and by day 9 I was definitely through nausea. For my next round I've requested apprepitant (emend); it is meant to be very effective and I hope will stop me vomiting and keep the nausea in better check.  

Do be demanding if you need extra; the medication is out there.

SJB

Yes, I know what you mean. Don't forget your GP can prescribe any of the above as well as the hospital. Talk to whoever can heklp you quickest whenever you have a problem. Your GP should pretty much prescribe anything you ask for - mine does! He hadn't heard of difflam when i mentioned it, but he looked it up and happily prescribed it when i said it had been recommended by another chemo patient online.

Feel free to pm me or post again if you'd like any more advice as things start to happen x

alice45

SJB, many thanks. I'd much rather go back to them with suggestions than just whine about how rotten I've been feeling!

SJB

Alice, each cycle I am given the same two drugs as you but also ondansetron as well. I haven't suffered any nausea at all. There is also another very effective drug they only give people who really suffer with nausea called Emend (more expensive), so if I were you, I'd ask your oncologist for that!

Dawn, I have completed three cycles of FEC and tomorrow I start my first of three cycles of taxotere (T).

I didn't want the discomfort of the cold cap, so I immediately had my hair cut short when I started my chemo. My hair started coming out 17 days after my first session, and 3 days after that I asked my husband to use our clippers to take it off as it itched like hell. Once it was off, it was instant relief.

I have a wonderful selection of hats and bandanas as well as a nice wig, which I wear just on special occasions as it makes my head itch and sweat.

Re hair loss: Bald head, brows and lashes thinning but still there. No shaving required under arms - also arms smooth, down below is smooth - legs are still hairy! So not fair! lol I heard the taxotere will make my brows and lashes go completely but you're not having that, so you may be lucky on FEC right through.

My main side effects have been fatigue (it is definitely cumulative and after three cycles I never really got active again this time. I have been out of breath every time I do something unfortunately. I'm 48, by the way) and mouth problems. For the first 2 cycles, I suddenly got a mouth full of 10 or 12 ulcers on about day 10 after the session, so I now have that under control with Corsodyl mouthwash and Difflam spray, both on prescription so didn't get any ulcers on the third cycle. But several of my fillings have fallen out - this is common with chemo, so I have had a LOT of toothache, and my dentist can't do any repair work until my chemo is finished. Last session is April 2nd, but I only have 4 weeks break and then I have my mastectomy and lymph node removal op, so I don't know when i'm going to fit the dentist in!

You sound like you'll be ok with the hair loss. Some women reallty struggle with it, but I'm just excited about having it grow back. Could be ginger, could be white, could be curly - it's like a lucky dip! lol

alice45

I'm on day 9 of the first cycle of FEC and still feeling sick... I'm presuming this is a little extreme - has anyone had persistent nausea and  were you given anything particularly effective? They gave me 3 days of steroids (dexamethasone) to be taken along with Metoclopramide, but that alone a) didn't work effectively and b) soon ran out. I shall ask for something different next time as the constant nausea is intolerable, but would like to know what else is out there. And this is only cycle 1!

poemsgalore

I never lost the bit of hair on my shins, both legs. Everything else went. It was lovely. Fortunately the latter part of my treatment was in hot weather. and I was able to go to Tesco with a bare head.

poemsgalore xx

Bas_B

Hi,

I had my 3rd Fec yesterday - when I saw onc, said I had a bone to pick with him as the bonus of chemo was having no body hair - well the hair on my legs hasn't fallen out and was most disappointed that I'm still having to shave my legs!  .

I haven't lost all the hair from my head, my eyebrows are still in tact and most of my eyelashses.  Someone very unhelpfully  (I have enough of my own what ifs and doubts) told me the chemo isn't working properly if your hair doesn't fall out.  The Onc dismissed this saying about 25% of patients don't lose all their hair when on chemo.

Love to be brave enough to go round bald but still feel a bit self concious and my scalp is very white (and a bit bristly as hair won't go)  I've too had small bits of skin coming off scalp so was relieved to see comments from others saying they had experienced this too.

Losing the hair is for such a short time it's manageable.  Wish the weather was a bit colder so I didn't look quite so over dressed going out in my hats! The wigs ok and I give it the occasional outing but I don't find it that comfortable.

Hope all goes well for you and as you say everyones experience is different.

best wishes Jx

Guest user
Not applicable

It deffinatley sounds like its takes people at different stages so will have to wait and see

Dawn

poemsgalore

Hi Tiz,

The hair loss thing is very individual. Like Gellybean999, I lost all the hair on my head by day 15 of my first dose of FEC. The next dose took my eyebrows and eyelashes, the hair up my nose etc. In fact the only two patches of hair I had remaining on my entire body were on my shins. I had a very small patch on each. Others in my chemo group (February Valentines 2013) had variations on the same theme. Some lost eyebrows others didn't, but if you're a dab hand with an eyebrow pencil that's not really a problem. I was just glad I lost my moustache and chin hair Woman Wink

Good luck and best wishes

poemsgalore xx

Guest user
Not applicable

ok thank you

Dawn

Janet_BCC

Hi Tiz1952

Just post a reply on the relevant thread and other members will soon come along to welcome you.  I've attached a link to the January thread:

http://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chemotherapy-monthly-threads/Jan-2014-New-Year-Newbies/td-p/...

Hope this helps

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Guest user
Not applicable

How do i joim the monthly threads

Dawn

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks guys doesnt sound to bad then apart from the hair loss got a very good friend to come and cut my hair short when i found out i had to have chemo as figured that may happen like i said i think it will still come as a shock my daughter asked me today if i would lose my eyelashes so its nice to know you didnt ive chosen not to use the cold cap as i do suffer with headaches and hadnt heard great things about it either will check the monthly feed out tho

Many thanks

Dawn x

Gellybean999

Hi , my hair fell out 2 weeks after my first FEC cycle, you cannot believe how much hair you have until it starts falling out! Ended up 7 days later with the hair of a 95 year old woman! Got my husband to shave off the remnants as it looked ridiculous. Stll have my eyebrows and eyelashes. I have a nice shaped head and neat flat ears, who would have known? I am wearing lots of hats and mascara. I considered using the cold cap but as a migraine sufferer decided against it. Cylce 3 of FEC next week.

Jonsi79

You're welcome to join the February 2014 group Tiz1952 on the monthly threads! From what I've read, it helps to talk to people who are going through chemo at the same time!
I will be starting AC type on the week of the 3rd Feb. Went to see the chemo day unit yesterday which helped me get my mind set. Defo something I'd recommend! x
Guest user
Not applicable

FEC chemotherepy

Hi guys

Well ive seen my oncologist and he;s now put me on a course of chemotherepy i will be having FEC chemotherepy 6 sessions over an 18 week period and then a 3 week break before i start a 3 week course of raditerepy they did say that i would most deffinatley lose my hair which im not overly worried about no doubt when it happens it will freak me out a little i'd be lying if i said it wouldnt but they say the only side effect i should feel is the nausea and hair loss

Just wondered if anyone else was on this treatment and how they coped with it

Dawn x