Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEC chemotherepy

83 REPLIES 83
Camilla9

Re: FEC chemotherepy

Hello there

I am on exactly the same chemo etc as you but behind you, had 1st FEC 2 days ago and still feel the same as when 1 went in. Do tell me how it has been for you...

Thanks

Mrs_Moomin

Dear SML Glad I could be of some help but sad to learn of all the family pressures. I hope that you will all find ways to support each other and keep those vital bonds close. Good luck, too, with your treatment.
SML1903

Dear Mrs Moomin

Thank you for your helpful response to the problem I am experiencing with my son. When I look closely at the situation I can see why he may be having difficulty with dealing with my breast cancer. He is 31 and has been married for nearly 3 years. Last July he and his wife had their first baby, my first grandchild. To cut a long story short he was diagnosed with a rare genetic disorder which will effect his development. The diagnoses has been a shock to us all but especially to my son and his wife. I feel guilty now but more understanding and empathy for him and his wife. I have been in contact with him and feel much more possitive. Thank you again. SML

Mrs_Moomin

Dear SML I really feel for you about the behaviour of your son. I cannot say that my experience is comparable but I do have adult children who reacted differently, so I will offer some thoughts. I do not know your son's family circumstances but my daughter and son are both in their 30s with young children and high pressure jobs. Although they were both sympathetic and supportive when I first told them about my diagnosis, I felt that my son displayed more emotion and care than my daughter, who, whilst assiduous about checking how I was doing, did not express much emotion - this at a time when I was feeling very emotional. However, I tried hard not to blame her and just put it down to different temperaments However, that all changed when I arranged to have a mother-daughter evening out and meal together. I asked her directly how she felt and the reality was that she had so much pressure within her marriage, her job and, of course, the children, that the only way she could cope was, effectively to compartmentalise the information. It did not mean she was not caring but that she was trying to find a way not to go under.....I fully understood and accepted this and we are fine. Your son's situation may be completely different but, I would suggest that you reach out to him either via a phone call or a get- together (just the two of you). Maybe you could say to him that you sense that your news has really upset him because he has gone so quiet but that you really need his support so you want to understand how it has impacted on him. After all, this is not something you have made happen. It may turn out that he is struggling to assimilate the news or to come to terms with the fact that you are mortal or that he too has some other crises in his life which are somehow making this the final straw. The other thing he needs to know is that, if he is suffering a severe reaction, he can get help himself through a range of charities (Forum Team, you may be able to help here) and there is no shame at all in seeking that support for himself. I do hope that you are able to resolve things with him. Best wishes. Mrs Moomin
SML1903

I had my 2nd FEC on the 8th May and felt much better than I did for the 1st one. It took a few days to feel myself but fine now. I feel I am very very lucky regarding side effects and my sympathy goes out to those of you who are suffering.  I did decide not to have the cold cap this time as my hair was falling out anyway and now its almost gone. Definitely will not be going out without my wig.

I was wondering if anyone is having problems with their children? My daughter who is 29 is being fantastic a but my son seems to be having difficulty. He only lives 2 miles away and I saw him for the first time on Saturday since Easter. He came in but could not look at me and said little directly to me. He managed to stay for 1 hour and 45 mins and left without letting me give him a kiss. He doesn't phone or text me even though I have tried to text him a few tmes but I am at a loss to know what to do. Anyone have any suggestions?

kitten_mad

If you keep taking the nausea tablets you will probably not be sick at all, I never was. Also take your steroids early as they do keep you awake at night. Good luck

K M

Lucy_BCC

Hi 23Dec
Here's the link to the May chemo thread:

http://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chemotherapy-monthly-threads/Starting-chemo-May-2014/m-p/840...

Best wishes
Lucy BCC

23Dec

Hi, I just had my first Fec today....1.30pm, and now, at 6.30 I wish it was dark so I could go to bed!(I know I can if I want to....it's just that I may not sleep all night!)

Dreading nausea......I have a real horror of it, due to childhood sickness.....so, fingers crossed!

I am unsure how to get onto this May page .....please can someone tell me if I have done this correctly? Sorry Forties to use your post to try to get on-board!

I like your idea of porridge with honey - I use Manuka honey daily, so that would be good! I'm sort of planning on "little and often" as a way of staving off the nausea........

Best wishes to you and everyone on this site.......I;m very grateful for it as I live alone, and despite a loving daughter and one or two good friends, I don;t always want to feel a "burden" to them..... 

Forties

My teatments are the same - 3 FEC followed by 3 Doxetaxel and I've had 2 FEC so far.  Having no taste is a big problem for me as I can't find food I fancy eating.   I've started using condiments to make it appetising so loads of ketchup, salad cream, pickled beetroot etc  Also I like curry  and spicy soups so that gives another option too.  I'm enjoying porridge for breakfast with honey as I can taste sweet food but all other cereals are just bland.  I'll have to watch portion sizes though with all this extra sauces and I find the steroids make me really hungry too!  I'll try to be active in my good weeks.  Luckily I've not had mouth ulcers but my mouth does feel a bit furry!  I'm going to try an alcohol free mouth wash.  Hope you stay well.

scattyfox

Im a teacher too in secondary education and.been.signed off from.work.due.to.the risk.of infection too. Had my first.session today 3x fec and 3 x tax. Funny mouth at mo and a bit tired, ok while im.eating but will look like a house if i do that. Do feel a bit sick but hoping tablets and.steroids are going to help with that. Calm.before the storm lol
Donnaandfamily

H i Fairy

I sympathise with the bad taste.......... I use the obvious corsodyl etc......and my dentist said to constantly keep my mouth moist with chewing gum...sugar free

I find that eating lots of vegetables and fruits helps in countering bad taste problems to a large extent....pineapple, ice cold drinks,

- I brush my tonge at least x 6 daily and clean teeth

-  i eat alot of pineapple

- rinse my mouth out frequently

- Gargle your mouth with salt water twice a day to prevent this problem. Prepare the solution by mixing 8 ounces of water with 1 teaspoon of salt or ¼ teaspoon of baking soda

- Drinking less water can also dry the mouth resulting in a smelly mouth. Hence, drink plenty of water to keep your mouth moist - I aim for 1.5+ litres daily

- Lemonade, citrus juices and foods marinated in vinegar assist in producing saliva that helps in washing away the bad taste in mouth, leaving you with a mouth smelling fresh

I know you have probably tried them all.....but I just keep doing them all....oh and eat eat lots of bland foods like weetabix, porridge and bread....temporary relief

Hope some might work xxx Donna

SML1903

Hello. My GP wrote me a sick note for 2 months so have to renew it in a few weeks but she did not write me a letter to explain about the risk of infection. The school have been very good however and the staff very supportive.

I already have my wig and looks like I may soon need to use it as my hair has started to fall out in the last few days. I did use the cold cap when I had my 1st chemo but not sure if I will use it for my 2nd on Thursday if it is falling out anyway.

I only have 3 cycles of FEC followed by 3 cycles of Docetaxel, then surgery followed by radiotherapy. I saw my oncologist Thursday evening and after only 1 cycle it looks as if my tumour has started to shrink which I am very pleased about.

I am also having the white cell booster injections and have managed to stay infection free so far so I think it is worth having. I did read that you need to be extra careful when gardening as any sort of cut or graze could be an infection risk so do take care. Best wishes.

fairyguardian

Not been around for a while, hope everyone is well?  I have just had my 4th Fec but in the process had a Picc line fitted as my 3rd Fec was so painfull and resorted in my knuckle being used as my veins are that bad.  The Picc line its self has made things a lot easier and I would reccomend if you are having problems with viens being found ask about one being fitted.  Feeling like I am going down with cold today, temp fine so fingers crossed. Still suffering with the most horendous taste is my mouth has anyone found anything that works for this yet? Tried various mouth washes but nothing seems to be working. xx

Forties

Hello

I'm a teacher too, but secondary age, and my GP wrote me a very long dated sick note the minute my diagnosis of bc was given!  The GP just said the risk of infection mixing with children whilst on chemotherapy was not worth the risk and the GP also said they had never known a teacher to keep on working with the  stress of the job and diagnosis! Unfortunately I still managed to pick up an infection from my own children in the Easter holidays but I'm now on the white cell booster injections to counteract this!  I've got a summer and autumn away from work and I'm going to sort out my garden and house in the weeks when I'm feeling more energetic.   I'm not feeling so good about hair loss though - I've used the scalp cooler with my first 2 cycles on FEC and coped with the freezing temperatures but my thick hair is now thinning rapidly.   I'm getting ready to buy scarves and a wig........  Hope your 2nd treatment goes well this week.

SML1903

Hi. I had my first FEC chemo nearly three weeks ago and due to have my second lot on Thursday. I have found it interesting to read your comments about reactions to the treatment. As I have had only a few side effects after my first lot I feel prepared now that the second treatment might not go so easily. Also interested to read that some are still working as I was advised to stop straight a way but I think it was because I teach in a primary school with reception and year one pupils. I would be interested to know if anyone else is in my situation regarding work.

Forties

Hello

I've had my 2nd FEC this week and the fatigue and fuzzy headed chemo brain are much worse this time around.  I've slept the whole time my children are at school and just about manage the morning drops off and pick ups.  Luckily I can walk to school as my head is not clear enough to drive.  My first cycle went ok until I visited family over  the Easter weekend, Unfortunately I came down with a fever and ended up in hospital along way from home for 4 days with neutropaenia (no neutrophils/ white blood cells).  The NHS staff were all superb and I was very well looked after.  I'm all sorted now and will get bone marrow boosting injections each chemo cycle to stimulate white cell production.  The great news is that I'm on neoadjuvant chemo (ie. before surgery) and my most recent ultrasound shows a big decrease in size of my tumour so all these horible side-effects feel worth it!  Its important to find something good in every cycle along the way!

booksandwine

Hi mrs m. Just heading home after my first day of work after chemo 2 Now knackered Re work I work for a large multi national company who have been very good and I have a lot of sick leave I can use feel guilty but each dose takes me longer to get over so I am thinking that for the next session I will sign myself off for 2 full weeks.

Thrilled you had a nice time in west end are you near to london. I'm west london.

Re wig been on all day annoying me now but overall getting used to it. All the best. C.

Ps if you want to touch base feel free to pm me
Mrs_Moomin

Hi Booksandwine! Good to hear from you. I wore my wig for pretty much the whole day today (te longest stint to date) and it was fine but when I am at home or want to feel relaxed I am fine with the scarves. I am building up a photo gallery of my different looks! I am not sure whether I could have joined in your bald sing-song but it must have been a good laugh. How have you been since 2nd treatment? Initially, I felt better than 1st time round but on days 3,4 & 5 the fuzzy head and serious fatigue kicked in. But had a great half day in West End with a friend on Monday and have survived a very hectic day today. I am trying to sort out doing some work from home to keep my brain active in which I am being supported by our Occupational Health service but they definitely did not favour me going into the office on a regular basis mainly due to potential fatigue and risk of infection. What's your position on work?
We have now booked our weekend away, just before Treatment 3. Hope you continue to stay as well and positive as possible. Regards from Mrs Moomin
booksandwine

Mrs moomin hope your ok. Well I have wig out twice and scarf out three times. Getting the hang of this.

Real lol moment today thought you might like was on FaceTime with a friend of mine in Aussie she's 20 years younger than me. Anyway I popped my wig on and chatted to her she dared / told me take it off - she's funny and bossy at same time but I had a lot of fun with her. Anyway I did and we had a good laugh I did sing a bar or two of nothing compares to you ms sinead o'connor Felt ok and if was a good laugh

Hope your ok.
joan47

Reading through some of these threads as I am about to have my second chemo one thing which has struck me is the variation in what hospitals routinely provide. My oncology centre, for instance, sent me home with mouthwash to prevent ulcers, and stuff to deal with constipation, and, if I hadn't already been on lanzoprozole for a hiatus hernia, would have prescribed this automatically. It is clear from some of the posts, however, that people have had to seek help for these problems. I'd be interested to know what other people have been sent home with (apart, obviously, from injections to boost white cell counts and anti-sickness pills, which I assume are standard. 

Joan

booksandwine

Good on you. Onwards and upwards ahy!

I'm heading off soon to get my wig thinned have scarfs but not too keen on that look.

All the best and I hope you get a weekend away I found it great for a change of scene.
Mrs_Moomin

Pleased that things are going OK for you, Booksandwine. Had my chemo 2 today as well. That's half way through this phase of treatment for me after which I move onto taxol and herceptin weekly for 12 weeks.
Getting that queasy feeling, but my Week 3 was also pretty good and we are thinking about a weekend break in week 3 of this cycle so you have set me good example! Am doing my own bone marrow booster injection for the first time tomorrow and hoping I can manage any side effects better than last cycle. Regards.
booksandwine

Very good limerick. Yes today was second chemo so one third there feel ok good to know now in advance what I will face. Re hair day 22 and I still have some but fine and thin. Have an appt tomorrow to have my wig thinned and trimmed a little as it is really thick and fringe is long. We managed a few days away over the long weekend which was lovely as towards end of week three feel good. Take care of you.
Mrs_Moomin

Hi Booksandwine. Wondered how you were feeling as, like me, I think that you are due for chemo 2 this week. Exactly as my consultant predicted, my hair started to come out on day 18 and is really thinning now. I gave my wig its first outing last night and used one of my scarves in the day. I am happy with both but there is still a sadness at losing the crowning glory, even though I know it will come back. So for myself and for all of you going through this trial, I made up a limerick, which made me smile and hope it may cheer you too. "There once was a bright Mrs Moomin, whose hair was well-tinted and bloomin' but it began to fall out and soon there was nowt! So a wig and scarves cheered Mrs Moomin. "
kay73

Hi Mrs moonmin,

I did experience awful aches in my lower body, hip area, in my knees and shins and feet.(not my chest)  This was from treatment 4-6 when i was on Docetaxel (taxotere), i had nutropenic scepsis my nuetrophils were 0.0 after my last treatment, so i spent a week in hospital and they told me the tax does that and the filgrastim injections make it worse. They gave me codeine for pain. It felt like ... how people describe gout, deep pain that doesnt go away.

The wobbles i found eased when i changed my eating habits, id be really wobbly in the morning either when i needed the loo or if i hadnt eaten over night. I found taking a big drink of water or squash to bed with a couple of biscuits to eat in the night helped. Im six weeks post chemo and im still getting hot head sweats and a few wobbles if i dont eat !!! I find i have to eat something, even if its little every 2-3 hours.

My best meal is breakfast i can manage most then, lunch is ok, but i ease off dinner time, still if i eat too much at dinner i feel sick or have a bad stomach ! so i went with small and regular most of the way through and it definately helped me with the wobbles. I think the body needs constant nutrients because its trying to heal and feed you at the same time !!!

Hope this helps

Kay xxx

fairyguardian

Mrs_Moomin 

I do tend to get quite wobbly through out and this tends to ease towards the end of the 3 weeks. I have had central chest pain which is more like spasms that go round into my back, which I found out was reflux am now on medication for that and so far so good. I you will get good day and bad, and it is important to make the most of your good days and dont beat yourself up when you have a not so good day. I am glad your BC team are checking you out best to be on the safe side. Always good to share that way we dont feel as isolated, before I found the forum, I would fine myself thinking I was being stupid and imagining the side effects etc Hope you have a better day tomorrow. I am due my third FEC cycle on Friday and on previous sessions have found around day 10 I really start to pick up

booksandwine

Ouch I don't have those symptoms mrs m but day 8 for me and I feel like crap. Been in bed most of the day feel fluey. Yesterday got into work managed a pale 3 hours stomach pains. Mmmmmmm that was constipation but thinking I'm getting that under control.

But for anyone else of your boobs or boob and underarm hurt. ? I know mine is aggressive but feels like a growth spurt. Oh fun. Still on the plus side 1 down 5 to go
Mrs_Moomin

Hi fairy guardian! I think I may have lulled myself into false sense of security. I was feeling better day by day up to Day 8 (yesterday) and I then started feeling more off colour again, mainly wobbly. Today I woke up with palpitations and spasms in my back, which is somewhat arthritic but has never done that before. My legs were also hurting. Have you (or any other forum members) experienced this? I have been in touch with my BC team and they have made a cardiac appt for me. I have definitely learnt from this that the improvement after treatment day is NOT a smooth upward line but probably a bumpy one - like the stock exchange! I now know I need to take things a bit easier. But it would help to share.....
booksandwine

Thanks for advice re drugs another trip to doctor
wyn

Hi booksandwine,

I have just finished fec-t a couple of weeks ago and also suffered constipation and heartburn as side effects.

Please dont let constipation last long as I did and suffered quite badly with it, despite trying everything including senokot.  I eventually got Lactulose prescribed by GP and it worked wonders I also got omeprazole for heatburn so dont suffer and get meds from GP.

Good luck with rest of your treatment.

Hugs Wyn x

booksandwine

Thanks M for your support I do appreciate it. One day at a time ahy
Mrs_Moomin

Well done you! I am still fuzzy-headed and certainly do not feel ready for work yet. I am hoping to plan some part-time input but need my head to be clearer first. Re constipation, I have tried tinned prunes, bran flakes and eating fruit (not all at the same time!) and things gradually seemed to ease but, obviously, Senokot can be useful too,l if needed. Unfortunately, heartburn is standard for me because of a hiatus hernia so I have omeprazole for that. However, you may find that keeping levels of acidity down may help. Yoghurt can be soothing. Re hair loss, I am getting my wig tomorrow but have also bought and been loaned quite a few scarves as there will be times when wig is too hot or you just want to be relaxed. You really can look quite glam in scarves. Have a look on YouTube for how to wear scarves. There are some good videos. This is not to say I don't share some of your apprehension but I want/need to believe it is possible to look good during treatment. Best wishes.
booksandwine

Hi moonin well day 6 if I count from Tuesday and first dose confess after feeling generally ok yesterday I hardly got out of bed and no shower grub. Today feel fluey but have showered and 2 short walks. Very tired

Hope to go to work Monday. On Tuesday want to go to a maggies centre open day and Thursday a headstrong in london. Have wig ordered but still a little freaked at thought of losing hair

My next step now is to try to actually meet people although forum is a good send. Best to all

Ps anyone else suffering heartburn plus tips for being constipated. ? 2 new fun things in last few days
Mrs_Moomin

Thanks so much fairy guardian. It is Day 6 since first FEC and I am already feeling a lot better in terms of queasiness and general strength. How are things for you Booksandwine? Main issue is feeling strange in the head and a bit wobbly when I go for walks. So, I can cope so far. My (next) main worry is the potential build-up of symptoms with the cumulative effect of each treatment. But I am trying to make the most of coming out of the "bad" week. Best wishes to all. X
fairyguardian

Mrs_Moomin  around day 12 I really start to pick up by the end of week 3 I felt the best i had done in ages.

I really hope you manage to sort the drinking out and if i can help in any way just ask. Good luck with you treatment 🙂 xx

kay73

Hi mrs moonmin,

Ice lollies are great, worked well for me 🙂

You can buy an ice lolly maker from Lakeland, they start at around £20 i think, we bought one, you keep it in the freezer and it will freeze a lolly in 8 minutes, it can do 3 consecutively. We stuck all sorts of juices in it, whatever i fancied. Also husband made me fresh smoothies every day so some smoothy went in there too 🙂

Manuka Honey, a tea spoon on the tongue really helps when youre on the Tax, doesnt really help the thrush but it does help all the splitting that occurs ! The nurses can prescribe various things for your mouth, i had, nystatin (solution for the furry tongue),difflam (pain relief spray for sore throat) and fluconazole (pills for the thrush).

My taste buds went completely, not for long though thankfully.

good luck with the rest of your treatment

Kay

xxx

Mrs_Moomin

Thanks for those hints, fairy guardian. I will certainly think about the ice lollies . Strangely, I had the metallic taste on the day of treatment but then it seemed to subside. So far no furry or greasy mouth but get very hot and dehydrated in the night. But, I am with you on what the chemo is there to do. Are you feeling better in week 3 since treatment?
Mrs_Moomin

Thanks April 1 buddy! I too have wonderful BC nurse. I am going to see how weight and bloating go over next couple of days. How are you feeling?
fairyguardian

I to struggle to drink for the first 10 or 14 days after a chemo session I had my last one 2 weeks ago.  I do a couple of thinks firstly Lime juice with cold water or even ice cubes in this helps a little but the big success for me is Ice lollies, I find these really helpful especially when your taste buds are are playing up either with the metal taste (1st session) or my second session I found my mouth felt really greasy.  Something that someone said to me was "Just remember that any reaction from the chemo is jus a sign that your kicking cancers butt"

booksandwine

Emphasise with you mrs moomin I also started on 1 April. Sorry to hear re bloating and it seems odd you feel you have put on weight why don't you try speaking to your BCN I find mine brilliant she might have great advice. All the best. Also there is a monthly April 2014 chemo tread for us starting in same month But good to have a fellow 1 April chick. !
Mrs_Moomin

My babes have long since fled the nest so my poor hubby gets the brunt of snapping. I generally manage to control it but it just bursts out sometimes. I had my first treatment on April1st - clearly a bad joke! I think I have been reasonably lucky so far in that I have some queasiness but have not been sick. Part from tiredness, my main issue is that I am finding it really hard to get down the amount if fluid required. I have never been a big water-drinker and I am really trying but, in spite of trying different tactics - sparkling water, plain, flavoured, it's really hard to get it down and I feel very bloated. Also seemed to have gained weight in spite of eating very little and doing walks when I can. It could be that not much is coming out the other end, and I have started on prunes. Any suggestions would be welcome. I know that I am luckier than many of you girls and I do hope that things improve for you.
welshmum

Hi there. You are not alone. I have only had one cycle of chemo but I am finding I have good days and bad. Shouting at the kids for no reason. Not knowing what to do with myself. I was pretty weepy by day 3. I have my 2nd chemo on April 11th. If I know I am going to have 5-7 bad days but then 2 good weeks, it's something to focus on. My mouth has already started to play up. I have ulcers and furry feeling gums.

kay73

Hi Lisa C,

I had 3 x EC and 3x Docetaxel.

Yes ive been nutty too 🙂 ive had a couple of days where i was a complete cow, moody and horrible and i didnt know why and by the end of the day i was crying.

The crying thing hasnt gone away yet, i am not a cryer normally but through from id say session two ive been a blithering mess from time to time, ill just sit there and cry for no reason, Hubby asks why and whats wrong and i really dont know !!!

I finished chemo four weeks ago and im still emotional, im sure it'll settle eventually 🙂

Oh and anything i forget i blame chemo brain, its been like mash potato for six months now 🙂

Good luck ladies, health and happiness for the future

Kay xxx

lisac

Thank you Alice, feel sad it's happening to you as well although a bit relieved to know I'm not the only one x
alice45

FEC definitely messes with the brain!

On my first cycle I was seriously disturbed, weepy, whiny, for 3 days during week 2, and on day 4, the minute I woke up, I knew things were better. I just assumed the chemicals had affected the brain and then dropped to a level where they were no longer having that effect.

It didn't happen this time (I'm only on cycle 2) but I can start crying at the slightest thing - usually someone saying something just slightly moving on the TV - and that's really not me! I've just become resigned to not being me for the foreseeable future...   Smiley Sad

lisac

Does anyone else have side effects of turning into a crazy woman for a few days? Stands to reason that chemo must poison part of the brain....well that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Seriously, I get to the point where I go a bit nutty, not thinking straight and being bad tempered. If this sounds familiar please share then I will know it's not a different issue; if husband stays he should get a medal x

welshmum

Re: FEC chemotherepy starting March 2014

Hi all. I am new to this forum. I got diagnosed with bc in jan this year. I had a mastectomy on 14th Feb. All went well and was out of hospital the day after the op. Mine was a grade 3 aggressive 8.5cm. I will be starting FEC tomorrow (weds). I have been speaking to a lady near me about how she got through FEC. I am starting to worry about it now but I know it's somehting that has to be done. I know this forum will be a god send to me 

fairyguardian

11 days in and taste buds, not tasting so much of metal but still unable to drink tea not had a cup of tea for nearly 2 weeks gosh I miss it.  I think no tea for the next few months is small price to pay but utter torture.  I still want tea but it is not tasting right infact iwould just love a warm drink but at the monment its only cold drinks that taste anywhere near normal

SJB

Thanks. Nearing the end of chemo now. I have my fifth session this Wednesday, and the last on 2nd April. So it won't be long before I can enjoy a nice cuppa again. Woman Happy

fairyguardian

I just had to post you some that a dear friend of mine who lost his lovely wife to BC said to me this morning as my hair as started to fall 11 days after my first Fec chemo and like you I am worried and scared about if or when it will grow back "your hair doesn't make you the strong brave lady you are just think of it as a new free hair style" Put a smile on my face  xx