Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEC starting early Sept (09)

102 REPLIES 102
C_me

Re: FEC starting early Sept (09)

Hi Ses
How are you doing have you had your chemo date yet, hope you are not too anxious, mine went ok 11 days on and have only had for a day or so flu like symptoms and a horrible taste in my mouth, but I have had more good days than bad so was quite relieved, hair still in tact but I know it wont be long as a certain bodily hair has started to shed ( if you get my drift) feels like puberty in reverse as its itching.
Take Care Carole x

sheena

thanks anna had chemo went fine luvly nurse,went picked up wig looks same colour as mine taking it to my hairdresser to get it cut bit tired but ok one down thanks for your reply means a lot luv to you sheena x

anna35

Hi, pleased the picc line went in well. I am so pleased i had mine at the beginning of treament, i am sure its saved me from a lot of problems. Good luck with chemo tomorrow, it will be one to cross off!
take care
anna

sheena

just thought post on how i got on getting my picc line in NO PROBLEMS!! felt nothing really pleased jungle juice tomorrow!might not be such a breeze he,rs hoping luv and best wishes to you all sheena x sorry your delayed ses hope you get started soon x

ses

hi all,
So I WAS going to start chemo today, but like others it was defered due to a surgical wound not healing completly. A bit disappointing but never mind. A bit more thumb twiddleing needed.

Ses
xx

sheena

hi sheena here,like you waiting to start chemo delayed due to infection,go mon with hope of starting midweek,have been suffering with a lot of nerve pain surgeon says had to cut main nerve to get to tumour,anyone any ideas what helps,been prescribed amitriptoline took one couldn,t function next day.wish you all well

ses

hi C Me,
I'm starting FECx3 on Wednesday too! ( 21st?). i was diagnosed on 26/8 and had a mx and diep flap reconstruction on 10/9. I would love to compare SE with you if that's ok. It's good to know that someone else will be starting at the same time.
I'm a bit nervous, but it's a fear of the unknown and I just want to get it started so I can get it finished. I have 3xT to go after this, and so it'll be 6 months of fun!! My parents, friends and family are amazing. My dad (who's not the youngest man alive) is ferrying me backwards and forwards to various hospital and doctors appointments. I feel like a teenager again. "Dad, can I have a lift; dad will you come and get me?" lorks a lumy! I'll be able to drive once my operation scars are properly healed which will be a relief! will be thinking of you on Wednesday! - here we go!

love
Ses

C_me

Hi All
I start chemo on wed 6xFec not looking forward to it but hey ho has to be done, radiotherapy after but not worrying about that yet, going to get chemo out the way first.

leucite

Hi Badgie

you are in a similar situation to me. Had WLE for diagnosis followed by second WLE to get clear margins plus SNB which gave clear nodes, grade 2. I was given the choice of chemo or not - no recommendation either way although they said I didn't have to have it. My hospital has a policy of offering everyone under 55 chemo if they want it - and they have a very high success rate maybe because of it. I decided to go for chemo as an extra insurance policy so hope it will be worth it in the long run.

Chemo is the pits, but it is a finite process and the end is not so far away. Some of us also post on another thread called 'First chemo tomorrow' or something similar - we're all laughing about our chemo brain moments at the moment.

I too was feeling very fit and healthy, although I have been to the gym today am feeling a bit of a slouch, and gutted to be missing my snowboarding holiday early next year. Still, there's always the next year, which of course I will be able to do because I have done the chemo to make sure those nasty little cells don't come back.

Good luck when you start the chemo

Helen.

angieday

Hi all
Am really looking for anyone with a similar experience to me.
I started my chemo on Sept 11th felt a little woozy went home and over the next 2 hours eyes swelled, face swelled rang for advise and was told to dial 999 and get to hospital as having allergic reaction couldn't walk as so dizzy. A&E were awful didn't seem to know what to do eventually gave me antihistamine tablet helpful as I told them I was feeling sick. None of my treatment team has ever come across a reaction like this.
Would love to hear from anyone!
Angie

badgie

Hi All,

I am i week post WLE and despite clean excision and clear lymph nodes I found out yesterday that Chemo is likely to be recommended.

Just wanted to say hi, it is great to have some contact with people who understand, and thank you for all the information - even if plenty of it scares me. I certainly am not prepared to feel unwell and determined that I will take all the good advice about keeping the weight off and eating jelly!

I'm 39 and my diagnosis came in early September - just as I was in the middle of a health kick (running, diet, personal trainer the lot!)

Am I mad to think this treatment is all just the most effective route to getting back to full health and back in the gym?...hope not.

Looking forward to staying with you all through the treatment - keep up the excellent comments.

Badgie XX.

P.S. Off out for fish and chips before I lose my tastebuds.

jellybean1

Hi Lorraine, Lyn, Monica and everyone!

I seem to have a problem in that this site does not seem to let me PM anyone at the moment, probably me, and I cant even blame Chemo brain yet either!

I went to see the wig lady last week and felt very deflated afterwards, she was a bit unhelpful and I felt as though I was being a nuiscance wanting to try different styles. I have ordered one for when I need it but it felt so final really just looking at them all! I have to say though that they all looked much nicer than my real hair! I was so glad that Bethan came with me as she cheered me up no end!

I woud love a buddy so can you please PM me Lorraine so that I can get you on my list of friends, I agree that to talk with someone doing the same sort of thing at the same time will be great!

Hope everyone is feeling as good as they can at this present time, and if you arent then I send very positive thoughts to you all 🙂

Dena x

daisyleaf

Hello everyone
Yep, Helen, bloods are in good fettle so I can have chemo tomorrow - lucky me, eh?
Hello Dena - I sorted out a longer wig than my own hair which is very glam and I am told takes years off me! I do spend most of my time in a scarf though and am really comfortable with that.
wondering if the things I wanted to eat last time are the same this time, or if there's a difference - but can't remember exactly what I went for last time. I definitely have chemo brain...
hope you are all well
take care
Monica xx

leucite

Hi Monica - are you up for chemo tomorrow? Hope your bloods are alright this week - good luck.

I'm feeling great and not looking forward to my next session on Thurs, but not half as scared as 3 weeks ago - I can't believe how quickly the time has gone.

all the best

Helen.

Linbin

Hi Hazel,

Will get hubby to add sugar free jelly to the shopping list today - I'll give that a go to as I have the furry tongue this morning! A little improvement on the nausea front (day 3) - thank goodness. I think I am going to be with you on the diet of soup and jelly - really like the soup.

Lynn x
ps good luck Dena with your forthcoming treatment.

LB1966

Dena

I am starting 6 x Fec on Tuesday and have my appt with Headstrong this afternoon so they can advise me on how to make the best of the hair loss situation.

Enjoy your holiday I went away for a week after they told me I had to have Chemo and I did manage to forget all about it and just relax which really helped.

I find this site really helpful when you can talk to others going through the same thing. Please feel free to PM me if you need a chemo buddy.

Enjoy your hols

Lorraine

Hayz

Hey Lynn

Glad you got the indigestion sorted out! It's Omperazole I was given too & cleared it up almost immediately...pity it can't help with the lack of fluid problem too!

I'm still struggling hugely with fluids & like I said I would I made 6 huge bowls of different flavoured jelly this afternoon & between me & the 3 kids it's almost all gone! LOL....as tho has my furry tongue (almost)...YAY!!
I'm gonna be a sugar-free jelly monster for the rest of my Chemo! It means I can eat as much as I like as often as I like to both ease my nausea & also to get more fluids....but not put on a heap of weight! I think I may have found my solution...a diet of homemade soup & lots of jelly! 🐵

I'm gonna try the ice pole suggestion too...will need to hide them in the back of the freezer from the kids tho!

I'm off to download some nice new tasty soup recipes to try..you all talking about your soups are making my veggie & lentil soup seem very boring (although very tasty!) and I'm not the biggest fan of tins!

Hazel x

jellybean1

Hi everyone, I am so pleased to have found this discussion! I start FEX x 6 on the 12th of October after being dx on the 24th of July. I had a lumpectomy on the 12th of August and am now waiting for the chemo to start. Has been delayed by about a week or 10 days as we had a holiday already booked and we both feel that we need to get away for a few days before the chemo starts. I have been very interested to see how you are all coping with the SE etc as I have been getting increasingly worried about it all. Will be glad to get on with it if I am honest - but only after 10 days in Lanzarote!

I went for my first visit today, slightly early as they did originally have me down to start on Monday, despite them not being able to do my MUGA scan before the 6th of October anyway! Glad I went though, it made me feel a bit better, I am lucky in this area as I get free car parking during my treatment, and 6 free complimentary therapy treatments too so that was a nice surprise!

Am going to take my daughter to the wig place tomorrow so we can have a laugh and see what is available, I have opted to try the cold cap, but want a wig in the cupboard just in case the cold cap does not do its job. I have shoulder length hair at the moment, which I thought I would get cut short after my holidays just to get me used to a different style, but we will see.

I think with all of this it is so difficult to anticipate how you feel about things from one day to another, so I think to have the wig and hats and scarves in place it just means that what ever happens I will be able to try something at least. I am very fond of my hair - I know baldness will be short lived in the long scheme of things, but it is still a sh**ty thing to have to deal with! I am almost certain I will not be a Sinaed O'Conner and will not suit the bald look! But who knows, I may just love it and it could be my look for the future! 🙂

Good luck to all of those either in treatment of about to start. pLease keep this updated so that we can follow you all!

Dena x

Linbin

Thanks - I took the omeprazole as soon as I got it today which helped, the soup was good too, but all fluids are still a bit of a mystery. I will try the ice pops. I am managing max 1 litre of lemon squash per day in the last 2 days. Even the thought of all the ginger drinks I have bought makes me feel nauseuos! Thanks for all your comments I shall plod on!
Lynn x

daisyleaf

Hello everyone
I love the soup idea Helen - had lost 2 and a half stone last year and was feeling better than for years before all this, the thought of putting loads of weight on has me peeved off - don't want to finish treatment just to start a blooming diet!
am going to make up some batches before next chemo... I have a recipe for sauerkraut and bacon soup - that will kill a few birds with the same stone - especially the constipation bird!
I found mini milk lollies great but love my fluids and espec. herbal teas so was always on the loo, but that was my only exercise for first few days, so it was probably good on 2 counts.
Hope it keeps going OK for everyone
love, Monica

leucite

Hi Linbin.

get the omeprazole - it's like a wonder drug for indigestion - solved my problem and you just take it once a day for as long as you need.

Have you tried ice cubes? Or ice pops. I bought some ice pops designed for pregnancy sickness from lillipops.com, they are sugar free and don't contain any nasties like those you get in supermarkets and are yummy, if a bit small and expensive. They are an easy way to take fluids and help with sore mouth too. They have ginger flavour which might help with sickness too. Or try freezing fruit juice. My chemo nurse said to force liquids down even if you really don't feel like it as it helps with sickness and flushing out the chemicals - she was right and I will really try to do that the next time round, even if I am constantly going to the loo!

Otherwise I found ginger beer good if a bit fizzy - try ginger or elderflower cordial with lightly sparkling bottled water - very good. The fizz makes you burp which helps to alleviate sickness, albeit a bit anti-socially! I am also drinking soup every day - butternut and red pepper is lovely and smooth and sweetish which helps if you have altered tastes - I make a batch every few days and eat it whenever I want - it's low fat and almost zero calories, plus several of your five a day!

Linbin

Hi H,

Thanks for your comments. I have just rung the team - the doc said the steroids could be giving me indigestion and they have suggested omeprazole and possibly some gaviscon. I am just waiting for my GP to ring so that he can prescribe it. Good idea re the soup - my husband made some yesterday so will try that (although his cooking skills are not his forte!!). I also stocked up the cupboards with everything ginger and the thought of drinking ginger tea or ginger cordial or ginger beer makes me feel nauseous thinking about it - it's strange as it seems to work for most people. The only thing ginger I have succeeded with is ginger biscuits.

Thanks again
Lynn x

Hayz

Hey Linbin

I had my first FEC 7 days ago now & would say don't put up with the indigestion if it continues.

My onc nurse called me on day 4 to see how I was & got me some indigestion meds. What she had said is that with some people the indigestion can make the nausea worse or last longer and there's no reason to suffer it. I have one tablet to take in the morning along with my anti sickness & it's been fab.

I still have underlying nausea a bit like morning sickness, which is horrible, but bearable. I'm hoping it doesn't last for my full 8 cycles of chemo tho!

Like you, I really struggle with fluids & have a ridiculous phobia about being sick! I'm trying everything I can think of to drink, but can only manage small amounts of skimmed Milk...nothing else! I really am beginning to think that I'm pregnant rather than having BC!! It's identical to my middle pregnancy! LOL

I'm going to make a load of different flavoured jellies to stick in the fridge today, as they too are classed as fluids (onc suggestion!)and I'm trying to have soups for lunch (again classed as fluids) Not sure if any of this will help you also, but it's worth a try!
I barely drunk anything for the first few days & had the most awful dry mouth & furry tongue. I'm glad to say it's eased up a bit with my daily bowls of tomato soup! LOL

Hx

Linbin

Hi All,

I have been following this forum for some time prior to starting chemo for advice etc which has been very helpful.
I just thought I would share my experiences with you to date. I started the first of x3 FEC 3 days ago on Tuesday 15th, which will be followed by x3 Tax. My biggest fear more than losing my hair was nausea and vomiting (sounds silly but I have a slight phobia about vomiting). So far still feeling a little queasy but no vomiting! The main reason for writing which I hope will help others is that I found on this forum the newish preventer drug (for vomiting) called APREPITANT or EMEND. I am not sure but I think they usually only give it to you if you have had a rough experience first time round. I just told my Onc about my fears and it was given to me without hesitation. Now I don't really know if it has helped (as I have taken all my other anti-sickness tabs too) but it may well have done. So far so good. Just still feeling a bit washed out and queasy and finding it difficult to find a fluid I like (have never been big on fluid intake). Got the strange taste in my mouth this morning and indigestion. I have been grateful to all your comments on this site. Lynn xx

leucite

What a bummer, Monica

I have to say that now I've started I really don't want any delays. YOu are now in sync with me - we should finish the week before Christmas if there are no delays. My hair is still holding on, every time I shower or brush it I expect large chunks to fall out, but not yet. Here's hoping. It must be awful if it just falls out in handfuls. I wonder if I sprayed it with enough hair spray it would glue itself to my scalp!

hope you're feeling better soon

Helen.

daisyleaf

Hi everyone
hope everyone is doing OK - Helen it sounds like things are getting resolved for you, hope its all going well.
I shaved off what was left of my barnet at the weekend, I found the moulting too depressing and feel better now that its gone.
Couldn't have second cycle today as neutrophils too low, so have to wait another week! Poo! that moves end date further away and I just want this done and over with!
I think I'll be in line with more of you re timing of No.2 on 23rd
take care you guys
love, Monica xx

leucite

bumping this up

how is everyone doing today?

leucite

Hi All

Well yesterday's hospital visit was ok. Got some omeperozole for the indigestion which so far is working well. Also some nystatin for oral thrush although not sure if I've got it or not - I've been swabbed everywhere to get it checked out! My mouth is very yukky - ulcers, white painful spots on tongue, very sore to use the Difflam mouth wash. And not such a good sense of taste - I came to the conclusion when I was eating marmite yesterday and couldn't really taste it that something must be wrong!

I spoke to the nurses about the Hickman line and they said give it another week to see if it settles down further and if not, speak about a PICC line instead. It was quite funny, I was sitting in the waiting room and met a woman I had surgery with, plus another - at least two people within 10 years of my age, whereas last week everyone was about 80! Anyway, I was talking about my Hickman line and the problems and suddenly almost everyone in the room whipped out a Hickman line - it seems more people have them than not. So we all had a good gossip about them - one man even boasting that he had a line with two ports instead of the normal single one! And his wife had made a little neck pouch for it to sit in rather than stuffing it down my bra which is what I do. They mostly had positive things to say so it made me feel a lot better and more relaxed about it. So I'll keep going with it, it is a lot more comfortable now, although there's a horrible hard lump in my neck - I wonder what it is but the nurse either couldn't or wouldn't say. If it gets better hopefully I'll stop noticing it so much.

So I celebrated by going to Sainsbury's and splashing out on some 'fat' clothes. I've come to the conclusion I'm not going to lose any weight in the next few months (I was doing weightwatchers) and really can't bear to squash myself into my current clothes. (The bald muffin top look really isn't too special). So bought some cheap jeans and tops which are comfortable to wear. I'll have a ceremonial burning of the chemotherapy clothes at the end of it all then it's back on the diet! So far I've not actually put on any weight(I did that on my holiday before it all started!) so if I can at least stay the same that'll be good.

Hope you're all going well and enjoying the late summer - lovely day for a walk.

all the best

Helen.

Gemjunkie

Hi LB1966

I got your personal message and am thrilled that we can be chemo buddies - at the moment my computer is blocking me from going to my profile/messages page - trying to sort it out - so I can't PM you but I am here - try sending me another message.

I have an appointment on Monday to see the Treatment Suite at the Chartwell Centre, Bromley and then will see my ONC on Wed to check I am ok for chemo the following week. Wow this is scary - dreading it!

Lyn x

sunflower65

H All
been following your thread, and good to see your all doing fine.

Just though id add my pennyworth,I have had a left side mx and ive just had 3fec and 2 tax lasttax next week yipeeeeeeee

if you get a yucky mouth on the chemo you could have oral thrush it can also cause a sore throat, i have suffered with this all the way through but after the 1st one i was perscribed fluconazole to take daily and it does the trick and clears it up brilliantly. if you get indigestion get some omeperozole from your dr's as its brll too.

all the best to you all this is an awful journey but it is doable.

take care all

Sally xx

daisyleaf

hello chaps,
next session is 16th, next week - I can't believe its only 2 weeks since the first - I've gone round the bend and back again! I very naively thought the first week of se's was 'it' but then weird moods started and I had a few overactive days where I couldn't stop, and then back to tiredness (but that doesn't really describe the level of fatigue, does it?)
Helen, I hope things get better soon with the H line, would love to hear how you get on today.
Annie, I too love that peppermint tea, I make a pot in the morning and drink it all day (after the pot of coffee to get me going), then I drink camomile all evening. We were brought up on herbal teas - my mum was from germany and they are really drunk a lot over there and used as herbal remedies - we used to have camomile tea but on cuts and stings etc when we were kids!so it is also like comfort food and having my mum back, in a way, for me.
take care
love, Monica xx

leucite

Hi Monica/Annie

well I'm off to the hospital this morning to have the dreaded line flushed so I will speak to the nurses about it. To be honest, it has settled down a bit in the last day - I took the dressing off my neck in desperation which made things a bit better and it now does hurt less. I went to the Australia/England cricket yesterday and had a great day and pretty much forgot about it so perhaps I can get my head round it after all. However, it is still causing me some distress - mentally if not physically so I will discuss alternatives with them - I'm just not sure there is anything out there which is an improvement - however you look at it, having tubes inside your veins is not a good thing to be doing, is it?

I'm now feeling fine apart from the indigestion - it woke me up in the night and breakfast was actually painful to eat - I've never had indigestion so don't know what to do about it. And I have a revolting green tongue and the skin is shedding from the inside of my mouth - it's sore but not agony - not sure if this is thrush or just another SE. The other thrush hasn't gone and is driving me nuts, but at least I know what I'm dealing with that as I get it quite often anyway.

I think if I didn't have the line in I could have quite a normal life, really. I am sleeping very well, not fatigued (yet) and generally feel ok apart from the minor(ish)side effects. I wonder if it will get steadily worse with each cycle?

I know what you mean abut the constipation, Annie, it's so difficult to force down liquids when one is already feeling queasy, no matter how much we know we should do it. Senna tablets sorted that one out - I have a cupboard full following surgery, although I hate the cramps they give me.

I'm having a session of aromatherapy at my local cancer trust next week - they give six sessions free plus I can have reflexology too - it's amazing the support that is out there for free for us patients. I will certainly be looking to give something back once I'm out the other side of this.

Good luck all, hope your weeks are going well. Monica when is your next session?

Annie81

Hi Helen,

I agree with Monica, you definately need to seek help about your line. I've been fortunate enough to be without one for now. I was chatting to a ladie at Christies last month while waiting for bloods and she said she's had 3 different types of central lines and now she's got the one that works for her. She was singing it's praises. I'm a staff nurse by trade and I've seen many patients with long term central lines who have never had any problems what-so-ever. You definately need to seek advice and the sooner the better.

No one will think you're whining. And if they do, their opinion isn't worth having. Thats YOUR body and YOUR hickman line and if it's not right for you then you are not a toture victim and should not suffer. I'm sure there are lots of other things that can be offered to you and you are well within your rights to be insistant that presently it is/isn't working for you.

I suffered really badly with constipation from FEC followed by diarrohea about a week later. To stop the yoyo bowels I found that if I took movicol and senna for 2 days before my chemo, by chemo day I was well oiled. I was far to sick to take anything after the FEC and this little boost before hand worked for me. Also reflexology is excellent for stimulating your bowel. If you register at your local Mcmillian centre you can get this for free, but if you can afford it it's £20 well spent!!! I found that when my bowels got sorted, the sickness improved. Though only fractionally. But the best thing for constipation, boringly, really is fluid. Lots of it, which is so difficult when all you want to do is sleep.

I too found indigestion horrific and I was perscribed lansoprozole after cycle 2. That also helped no end with my sickness. Peppermint tea is now also a particular favorite!

Keep in touch and let us all know how you're getting on.

Annie x x x

daisyleaf

Hi Helen
sounds like you are having a rotten time with that H line - I think its worth a call to the chemo unit to get it checked out, it is worth a shot, and better than putting up with it. I hope they can resolve it - doesn't sound comfortable at all, the sort of thing I too would find really tough.
hope it goes well, I'm thinking of you.
lots of love
monica xx

leucite

HI girls

Annie I love your picture! I must get one of me to add, although I have to say I'm not looking at my best at present - lank greasy hair due to not being able to wash it every day anymore - yuk.

I've already had my surgery - had to have an excision biopsy (i.e. a WLE) to diagnose the lump as all the other biopsies were coming back normal - fortunately the surgeon just didn't believe it so went in there and got it out to work out what it was - 16mm grade 2 lobular lump. I then had to go back in and have it done again to get clear margins plus a sentinel node biopsy which diagnosed clear nodes, fortunately.

I seem to be doing ok on the FEC, only one so far but it's not really knocked me out - although I am suffering from indigestion and constipation which I am not used to.

REally struggling with my hickman line though, it hurts (more uncomfortable than agony) constantly - whenever I move my head, cough, clear my throat, eat an apple, go to to the loo, walk up stairs, lie in bed etc. It's really getting me down - far worse than the SE of the FEC. I don't think I can cope with this for the next five months - I'm already cracking up and I've not even done a week. I don't know what to do about it though - I'm sure the chemo nurses will just think I'm whining about it but it's really getting to me.

Karen, I would just wait and see what happens before you start doing things to nails or hair - even though we are all on the same drugs it's interesting how we all have different side effects - you might not have a problem.

My mouth feels like the bottom of a birdcage this morning - like I need to scrape out the inside with one of those tongue scraper things Anyone else had this problem?

all the best

Helen.

LB1966

I have been told i will be starting Fec within the next 2 weeks and would love to have a chemo buddy to go through this with. I have lobular cancer which was 60mm grade 1 with clearance and no spread to lymph nodes. Possibly facing further surgery after chemo but lets get through this first

daisyleaf

Hi there
Karen I was diagnosed in June but with recurrence - first bc was in 1997 (9.9mm grade 1, stage 1 no lymph involvement) had axillary clearance, mastectomy and tamoxifen, then was fine for the 12 intervening years. This time it is 19mm, grade 3, no sign of spread, had WLE in July, having FEC x 6, then radiotherapy, then hormone treatment. Both have been hormone receptive.
Hi Annie, as you see above, I've already had my surgery! It is good to have you join us though, you and Karen seem to have the same treatment as far as chemo goes. Yes, the FEC knocks me up for a week (well it did this time, we'll see in a couple of weeks if thats going to be a pattern, I guess!!
take care
love, Monica

Annie81

Hi Girls,

I've finished 4 FEC and have just had my first (of 4) Taxotere. I was really happy to find you because I think I'm the only person who's on this regime. Am glad it looks as though you're getting on well with the FEC. After my 3rd dose, my lump just seemed to disinergrate and shrivel up! It was really encouraging. I had my FEC then just laid in bed for a week. It's all I could do. I can't believe I've got 5 under my belt and only 3 to go. You'll be here before you know it too!

Please email me or keep me updated on how you're doing. Are you both going to have surgery after chemo?

Annie x

wills1

Hi Monica

Had appointment today with chemo consultant who I must admit I did not warm to. I was told my first session of chemo was on the 16th sept no mention of me going in beforehand to the chemo unit, BCN said 1st session would take longer as they go through everything with me. I suppose they do things differently in different areas. When were you diagnosed with cancer?
xx

daisyleaf

Hi Karen - I think it gets like that. I don't know the answer to the nails thing - I gave up worrying about that one! what I have done is listen to the nurses on the chemo unit and followed their advice.
Do you have an appointment soon with the chemo unit?
monica

wills1

Hi Monica
Thank you for the reply. I am having 4 Fec then 4 Taxotere. Think I am reading too much because I am scaring myself silly now. I have read about people painting their nails a dark colour to prevent loosing them. Should I do this before I start chemo or just wait and see what happens? I hope you continue to manage ok with the side effects. Take care.
Love Karen xx

daisyleaf

Hi Karen
would be great to have you join in - we are all in this together! My second chemo is on Sept 16th, so the timing of any SEs we get will probably coincide. I'm having FEC x 6. So far (ie, this cycle) I had nausea and tiredness for a just over week then started to feel a lot better.
what regime are you on? there are a range of regimes on here so you will be able to get info about a few different chemo regimes. Everyone has written that the anticipation is worse than the actual treatment, and that was definitely true for me. If we weren't frightened of chemo, you have to wonder just what WOULD worry us! it is scary stuff, but honestly, staff pull all the stops out to support you and it is OK at the unit. As for the chemo itself, its do-able - we all have to do it and everyone seems to get through!
take care and keep in touch
love Monica

wills1

Hi daisyleaf

Im due to start chemo on the 16th September, Petrified, nervous, worried etc etc. Would be happy to be a chemo buddy if your still in need of one! Have you started chemo yet if so what regime are you having.
look forward to hearing from potential chemo buddies. Karen

leucite

Good luck Trumpet, hope it goes well. My tips are to have bananas by the side of the bed for the morning sickness - you can eat before you get up which helps. Drink loads - force yourself to, I had to and struggled. Ginger beer is good but I found it too fizzy - the best is elderflower cordial with a posh slightly sparkling water.

Also get out every day for some fresh air and a bit of a walk, I've done this every day so far and it really does make me feel better. As someone who has worked full time all my life and is now unemployed (made redundant as I was diagnosed and now unemployable) I struggle to know what to do with myself all day - I've done the housework, read my book for an hour.. now what?

The chemo ward has a portable dvd player and films which they gave me for the length of my chemo which helped pass the time as I found it difficult to concentrate on reading. I had a tearful moment just before it all started and they were very good with me. I hope your nurses are equally good and helpful.

I'm suffering today from Thrush (due to antibiotics I think), constipation and indigestion but not particularly sickness so hopefully things are improving with time.

My chemo nurse gave me a form to take to the local wigshop who also visit the hospital on a regular basis. I had an hours appointment in private where she fitted me with various wigs to try on. It was great fun, I tried a real Farrah Fawcett number which looked weird - just not me but found two wigs which looked much better than my real hair - my hairstyle I've always been trying to achieve and failing. I got one free on the NHS and the other one I may buy if I decide I need it. Take someone with you and have a laugh. I haven't started losing my hair yet - early days I spose.

Anyway, time to go for a walk. All the best, thinking of you and hope it all goes well.

Helen.

bud932

hi there
just want to wish you luck for starting the dreaded fec. Im a fec veteran. I had mine aug sept and oct last year and then had 3 taxotere which personally i found much much worse. Lost my hair 2weeks after first doseof chemo but has now grown back. Had a few trims but finally long enough to have my highlights done on thurs so will look like me again when i see myself in the mirror!!! Yes chemo is the pits of the earth but you will get through it and i can hardly believe a year has passed since mine started. You w illhave good days and bad but keepyour chin up. With the support of some of the remarkable ladies on here you will get by.

love

Gail xxxx

daisyleaf

yeah, please do !
xxx

trumpet1

Hi!

Thanks for your responses! I hope you have a sherbert lemon for me tomorrow! It is so nice to know that people have actually done the thing you are dreading and are so fab!
Think i am going to have a bath and read a bit and put some stuff on my ipod to listen to tomorrow whilst the nastiness is happening.

Will let you know how it goes xxx

daisyleaf

Hi Trumpet
have responded to you on the thread you started a bit earlier today
hope it goes well tomorrow. will be thinking of you and will check later on this pm to see how its going
xxx

trumpet1

Hi!
Having my first FEC tomorrow (got 6 to do) and not entirely sure how to feel about it or prepare for it. Reading all your posts has been such an amazing help!! SO thanks!! I have stocked my cupboards with sherbert lemons, ginger biscuits, and milkshake!
Any advice on what to think about it and how to actually go through with it and sleep tonight would be most welcome!
Hope you are all ok.

Thanks xxx

P.S When are you ment to see the hospital wig lady? Just fretting about the hair stuff. You all look so good!

daisyleaf

Hi there
helen, don't like the sound of that hickman line, or no baths either. I normally like nothing better than a soak in the tub with wine, books, a facial...glorious!
like you say, roll on the end of the year and this bloomin' rigmarole! Seriously, I know I am pretty lucky compared to some others, long may it continue!
love to everyone
monica xx