FIBROADENOMA - LACTATING - LARGE!!!

This is my first post and my first time of ever posting anything like this! After the birth of my first baby, I had trouble breast feeding her and ended up with mastitis, this then resulted in a lump in my right breast. I went to the Breast clinic and had a mammogram, ultrasound and they also drained some of the fluid away. I was told that it would probably get smaller over time. A few months later, the lump remained and I visited clinic again, this time I had a core biopsy and the results were not conclusive but they thought it was a fibroadenoma and approx 5cms big, but nothing to worry about. I asked what would happen if I was to get pregnant again, I was told it would get smaller, larger or disappear. Fast forward a few more months and I became pregnant with my second baby. I noticed the lump increasing in size as I grew! I returned to the breast clinic in June 2013 and had a repeat ultrasound (they didn’t want to do mammogram as I am pregnant) and a core biopsy. The lump is now approx 7cms big! The results confirmed that it is a (lactating) firbroadenoma, and the consultant said they want to remove it. I am now 8 months pregnant and returning back to the clinic in November 2013, after the birth, for follow up appointment. My concerns lies with the sheer size of the lump (which I am told could decrease after birth) and when it is removed, will I be left with a deformed boob/a massive scar? any information or comments gratefully received. (I am now 37, I had my first child at 35 and turned the 36 the day they drained the lump)

bringing this to the top for mrsd2010

Jo, Moderator

I had surgery to remove 3 FAs in march, 2inch scar right next to the aurole, you wouldn’t know it was there if you weren’t looking for it. Mine was a bit bigger than normal because they had to tunnel (docs phrase not mine) up AND down to two different sites. The biggest was 3cm. I know where they were and i can feel a slight ripple in the breast from the scarring inside but i have to poke really hard, the doc told me the tissue would fill itself in and it has. I hope your surgery goes well, drink as much as you can post surgery, it flushes all the dopey making drugs out of your system so you’ll feel normal more quickly. And congrats on tbe babies!