FNA Results - Reassurance/Advice

Hello all, background is that 4 weeks ago I saw GP with a mass in the upper part of right breast. I had a mammogram followed by an ultrasound and another mammogram. The ultrasound showed thickened tissue and 3 small (0.5cm) cysts. Consultant did an FNA at my follow up and I have now had a call back to say that they want to do another biopsy on Thursday to “make sure it’s benign”. Now, I know they have to be sure, but I am worried. Why would they call me back if it was just cysts? Is this common practice? Thanks

Hi

Welcome to the forums, I’m sure other users will be along to support you soon.
In the meantime you may find it useful to contact our free helpline on 0808 800 6000, opening hours are Monday to Friday 9.00 – 5.00 and Saturday 9.00 – 2.00

Best wishes
June, moderator

hi charley,
it is no use me telling you not to be worried, because you will, that’s just how it is, when i was dx for 2nd time i was given a fna went back for results and they had not hit the right spot, just fatty tissue so then had to be done under ultra-sound, this happened again 3rd time round, these things happen it is sometimes hard for them to get it right and they want to be really sure before they give you a dx it is better for you and them, that way if all is well you will know for sure and feel happy with the results and not have doubts.
quite often these things are ok mabe cysts or fatty lumps, hope that is what they turn out to be, the waiting for results really is the pits, but hang in there, i hope everything is ok and you are fit and well.
reneexx

Thank you renee for your answer. It gives me more of an idea of why I could have been called me back. Thanks for the kind words.

Well the result of the FNA was C3 Cytology. Abnormal/probably benign if I remember correctly. Have a had a core biopsy done and results next Thursday. So I just wait again I suppose!

everything crossed for you but so far looking good. X