FNA results unclear

Hi all. I’m new to this so hope I’m doing right! I’m 31 and found a lump 3 weeks ago. I was referred for an ultrasound scan a week later. The consultant was finding it difficult to see the lump clearly on the scan but took a FNA biopsy while I was there. I was also referred to the breast screening unit for another ultrasound as I was told their scanners were better and they’d be able to get a clearer view of the lump. I wasn’t supposed to have this appt until 15th April, but being the control freak I am I couldn’t bear to wait that long and pushed to get it brought forward. When I went to the breast screening unit they again struggled to find the lump due to it being small and I was again told it was highly likely with my age that it was non suspicious. I asked at this point if the FNA results were back and thats when the mood seemed to change. I can’t remember the words used, but it wasn’t that the FNA was inconclusive, more that it hadn’t confirmed the lump as benign without being as obvious as that. I then had a mammogram which didn’t show much at all and a core biopsy, and a ‘marker’ put in to make it easier to find the lump if further scans where needed. I pushed for more information because I hate not knowing. I’d much rather know exactly what I’m dealing with be it good or bad. After much pushing I was told they were on the fence from the scan pics, but the FNA results put a different light on it. I asked based on opinion/experience/scan pics/FNA results was it more likely to come back ‘suspicious’ then not and was told yes. but she also hastily added that she would never give a diagnosis from a FNA alone. I actually felt better coming out the appt as I felt I was getting somewhere rather than just feeling in limbo. But as time’s passed and people keep trying to make me feel positive with comments such as ‘it could still be ok yet’, I’m starting to doubt myself and if I misunderstood her. Just wondering if anyone had any similar experience and what the outcome was? Thanks

hi mads

i work in breast screening and very often we just dont know and its only with results that we can confirm something is or isnt cancer or whatever.

things can look like one thing and some patients are told that it looks very benign only for the pathology to show its cancer or sometimes we say to prepare for the worst as it looks malignant and comes back as a fibroadenoma or fat necrosis which are both benign and wouldnt do anything to… the imagining is just one part of the whole process in that it can show up the lesions but its the core biopsy that gives most information… but even then it occasionally gives inconclusive results if its not a representative and may need to be repeated.

i know the waiting is awful but really untill you get the biopsy results you cannot be 100% certain of the outcome.

take care

Lulux