328199posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fab discussion with onc

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Fab discussion with onc

Hi Bev Thanks for the lovely reply. I am so grateful for this forum, a place to talk with ladies in the same position.
I to hope the treatments for SBC continue to get better so that this really can be cured or treated as a chronic disease.
I continue to be very grateful to the ladies that fought for Herceptin and hope the cleaver scienctists continue to improve on the drug and invent a few more.
Hope your enjoying the lovely weather and this post finds you well. Angela xxxx

Hi elliedog...well what can I say?? Firstly great news about your treatment and your continuing good health. You must be over the moon! If only we all had onc visits like that.
I am welling up reading your post. I am so pleased for you! This news is so encouraging and uplifting for us all and thank you for sharing it with us.
It just goes to show the advances in bc treatments in recent years....it didnt seem that long ago that Barbara Clarke was fighting for herceptin to be made available to all ladies who were her2.

I hope and pray that new drugs will soon come along for everyone with secondaries to give the same amazing results as herceptin.
Long may you have good health elliedog ....youre an inspiration.
Love bev xxxxx

Hi,elliedog,im not HER but great post. You have a fab onc.
Huge hugs ,Helen xxxxxx

Elliedog, I am not Her2 but your post is still very uplifting. Your onc sounds fabulous! I am very pleased for you. 😀  love Sheila xx

Elliedog, great post.  It does make us Her2 ladies feel good when we read stories like that.  I feel 90% confident in my treatment but I must confess that my 10% human side at times raises its ugly head.  However since reading your post I am feeling 100% confident in my treamtnet.  Like you I have a fab oncologist who is very passionate about her work and in the outcomes for Her2 treatment.  thank you very much.

Thank you for posting that, elliedog, it really does lift the spirits to know there are such committed and passionate medics about. I hope my oncologist is even halfway as good, when I meet him/her in August.

Fab discussion with onc

Hi everyone.I was unsure weather to post this news but thought I would go for it and hope some ladies might find it useful.I recently had an appointment with my onc(dont see him very often usually see nurse practioner) who I think is just brilliant.Anyway thought I would ask him all those saved up questions I had.We discussed my treatment (Tamoxifen Herceptin and Pertuzumab).I told him how I think the Tamoxifen makes me itch so he said that according to NICE regulations I shouldn't really be on Tamoxifen because the other two anti bodies are so good but he thought he would just throw the Tamoxifen in.Then while we were on the subject he said we may think about taking away the Pertuzumab because we think the Herceptin alone maybe doing the job. I then asked about ladies that stay on Herceptin for years and are they possibly cured now, expecting him to laugh at the question but he didn't.He said that was a very good question that is being asked more and more in the onc world.He had recently spoken to a leading onc in the HER2 world and she believes these ladies are cured with Herceptin but they are still waiting for enough evidence before they can give a definate yes in the onc world.He also told me about a lady,with mets, who took Herceptin back in 1989 in the orginal trials in America but only choose to take it for a year,twenty years later she was alive and still cancer free.He said Herceptin ladies are no longer rare and are doing well long term but because they are still alive (thank goodness)they don't know how long  long term is.On a personnel note my check up was good, scans clear, bloods good feeling well.He also said that because I am still responding to the treatment that looks good for the long term (14 months on this treatment).I then asked him about travel insurance and what should I describe myself as to them. He said I should say I am on anti body treatment not chemo,my scans are clear,I am in remission and I am going with my oncs blessing.Well the word remission came up so had to challenge that one.If stage 4 cant be cured how can I be in remission.He said he had ladies that have had clear scans for years, who is to say  I cant be one of those ladies, these ladies are in remission and so are you and as we had already discussed the question about Herceptin ladies and cure was a big questin at the moment.So I know some ladies don't like to use the word remission but for now I am going to take it and run.My onc is very passionate about his work and has a lot of involvement in research, and appears to have plenty of connections in the American onc world.He believes that we should always have hope but doesn't give out false hope.So when he gives me this information I see them as facts not just a story to make me feel better but still comes to the same conclusion and it gives me hope that I will be here for a long time to come yet.Stay well ladies xx