Family genetics and adoption

Family genetics and adoption

Family genetics and adoption Hi

I have been referred to the family history clinic ( posted by the moderator ).

I filled in the questionaire they sent to me but as i was adopted at 6 weeks old i dont know much about my birth family. Apart from what i have been told by a birth family member.

Apparently my maternal grandmother died of bc in her later years and my maternal aunty died of inflammitory breast cancer in her mid 30’s.

I have tried to phone the family member who gave me the information but cannot get in touch with them at all. They had not long had a major operation and i havent been able to speak to them.

I am being tested for breast cancer at the moment but for some reason i am not being taken very seriously.

I am worried i will be going for nothing and i dont want to waste their time.

Do you think i should cancel the appointment as i cannot give, names or dates or hospitals they were treated at.

Sorry for going on

Lou xx

Hi louise Firstly no I dont think you should cancel your appointment because I have been today to the genetics clinic and I have had a blood test too see if I carry the brac1 and brac2 gene(I dont know what this stands for) and if this comes back that I do then this will determine what risk my children are at getting bc I have 3 two boys and a girl so its quite worrying for them but if I do get bad news it means that my daughter who is just 20 will be able to get a blood test to see if she to carrys this darn thing and if she does she will be well looked after I have benn reassured so now I just have to wait for that but in the meantime she said it would be advisable to me to consider a mastectomy on my remaining boob which I have already considered anyway and think thats what I will do and then just have full reconstruction.so in the long run with or without your family members not being in touch they will be able to check you out.Just tell them what you know thats all you can do.Hope this helps take care xx debbi xx

Hi Debbie Thanks for replying

I will keep my appointment after reading your advice xx

I wasnt too sure what they would do, but if they can tell me my risk from having bloods taken then i’m ok with going, if that makes any sense.

I have 3 children 1 boy and 2 twin girls ( aged 9 and 8 ). At least if they pick anything up i can tell them when they understand about getting them checked too.

How are you hun? Hope you are ok.

Take care

Thanks again Lou xxx

hi louise I am fine thanks. where abouts in manchester do you live because I am originally from heywood and moved to scotland 3 year ago because my hubby is in raf?God you nust have your hands full 3 children so close together? take care and try not to worry too much. I have been reading your other posts and I think you are feeling like I felt when first diagnosed you just want to talk to people that are going through the same as you dont you?Thats why this site is brill there is always someone that will reply to you.Try the live chat sessions too there is always a nurse online plus some of the othere women off here it might be really helpful for you.Take care lol debbi x x

Hi ladies Debbie i’m from the airport area, really noisy somedays when the jumbos go over lol.

Helen, i have been reffered to the genetics centre by the consultant as 2 of my birth family have unfortunately died from breast cancer.

I may take your advice and see the female gp, i didnt think of it before.

My fiance cannot cancel his appointment sadly to come with me as he finds out if he has to have surgery on his wrist.

We both need putting in a bag and shaking up lol.

Take care

Lou xx

Hi Louise,

I agree with Helen that the doctors should be taking your problems more seriously, not only because all breast pain should be taken seriously, but also because of your family history. I think that in your case your doctors are treating the two things separately (family history vs. current problem) and so they will not think they are contradicting themselves. I was referred to the genetics clinic the moment my GP heard that my mum and my sister had breast cancer, despite not having any symptoms. However when I went back later with a lump my GP was less keen to refer me on because she didn’t think it was cancer. I wonder if they have referred you to the genetics clinic because of your family history, but they don’t think you have anything to worry about at the moment in terms of your current problem. I feel angry by the terribly hard time you have had trying to be taken seriously.

I went to the genetics clinic and what it involved was a long chat (an hour and a half) with a Consultant Nurse who was very interested in my family history. She drew a family tree and asked whether any of the people in my family had cancer and what type. She said that breast, ovarian and prostate cancer are linked to a gene, so she was interested in the men too. I wish I had known more when I went. I think that your nurse or doctor at the genetics clinic will also be interested in your birth mother and father although I can see it is really difficult for you to find out.

I found the chat I had with the genetics nurse really valuable and helpful. I am sure that you will be taken seriously by the clinic and you will finally be listened to.

Thinking of you still.

Lilly.

Hi Helen I have been reffered to the clinic at the nightingale centre at withington hospital.

We moved up here because we both work at the airport ( even tho i have just left my job ) We used to live near old trafford stadium.

Hi Lilly Thank you for the information, its put my mind more at ease.

I know i wont be able to give them much information. All the information i have got i put on my questionnaire.

I keep trying to get hold of the birth family member but to no avail at the moment. I dont even know the surname of my birth mother. I dont know if i had got her name or my birth fathers name.

Thank you hun for your support about my current problem.

How are you?

Lou xx