Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family history, genetic testing and prophylactic mastectomy

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Family history, genetic testing and prophylactic mastectomy

Hi BlissC, 

I am sure some of our users will be along shortly to offer their support.

In the meantime please do call our support services at 0808 800 6000 who will be able to provide you with a friendly ear and talk to you about your options.

Best wishes, 

Lizzy 

Digital Community Assistant

Family history, genetic testing and prophylactic mastectomy

Hi,

I have a family history of breast cancer, but the NHS don't consider my family history strong enough to have genetic testing on the NHS, so I've got an appointment tomorrow and I'm going private.

Regardless of the results of the genetic testing, I want to have a prophylactic double mastectomy. Both my maternal grandmother and my mum developed breast cancer in their late 40's, and were diagnosed aged 50. I'm now 43 and I feel as though I'm on a countdown to 50 and diagnosis. This isn't just a recent thing - I've felt this since my mum was diagnosed. I have some days that are a real struggle, I still manage to work part-time, but the older I get the harder it gets, and I can't risk hitting 50 and that diagnosis, radiotherapy, chemotherapy, and all it entails on top of all the other health problems I'm living with.

What I'm wondering is if there's anyone out there who's done this and can give me an idea of roughly how much it would cost (without reconstruction) for a private double prophylactic mastectomy, so I can start to figure out how I can fund this! Smiley Wink I've been told that unless you're found to have one of the breast cancer genes, there's no-one in the UK that would do it, and you'd have to go abroad. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks,

Bliss