Fast February - new and confused

I went to the doctor on 6 Febraury to check on a lump, he was very good and two weeks later I was scheduled in for a mammorgram, consulation, biopsy and scan.  That was last week, I was told that on Wednesday this week, I would see the consultant.  Had a call on Friday from the breast nurse at work, she told me there was cancer, and was speeding things up with a CT scan and bone scan booked for this Monday and a CT scan tomorrow.  Asked me to get some blood tests done - which I got done on the Friday afternoon - all a bit of a blurr.  Yesterday, they told me its invasive cancer, in one area - I have an operation booked in for 2 weeks time - not sure if full or partical,  and I’ll know more next week when more test information is in.

Was fairly thrown by having all the tests before a full diagnosis, but seems that the tests are normal.  I said I have no problem with a double masectomy even though there is only cancer in my left boob.  I have fairly large boobs and am concerned about how I will look - as I want to get back to work - get back to normal as soon as - Am I normal ??? Can I ask for both to be removed ??  Is surgery so soon, normal or not - It seems that I may speak to the consultant again next Friday after their full meeting and might be in for surgery on Tuesday - how long are you generally in for - overnight - is there much pain afterwards? 

Mostly feeling like I am working through everything and being sane - although not sure - any beginner guide practical advice - I have never known anyone to have had breast cancer before 

Dear booksandwine

Welcome to the BCC forum.  I’m sure other members will soon be along to support you.

You could also contact our Helpline to talk things over.  They can offer you practical information as well as emotional support.  They are open until 5.00pm today (9-5 weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays)  the number is 0808 800 6000

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Hi there

I had my mammogram, ultrasound and biopsies done on 3/2/14 and the breast nurse told me there and then that they were pretty sure I had 2 small cancerous ‘patches’ in my right breast and 1 abnormal looking lymph node. I had my results back just over a week later. The patches were confirmed as invasive ductal cancer, ER+ HER - but the lymph node biopsy was clear. I saw the consultant and was given a provisional op date of 4/3/14 for right mastectomy (due to the cancer being in more than one area) and sentinal node biopsy. When I got my MRI results on Monday, they arranged for me to have another ultrasound as they found an area of concern in my left breast and right lymph node still looked abnormal. The radiographer couldn’t see anything in the left breast when they did the ultrasound yesterday, just some benign changes, but consultant has agreed to do a bilateral mastectomy anyway and definite date for op is now 4/3/14.

I have been shocked how quickly everything has come about and I’ve got to be honest, I am struggling a little bit. I also feel reassured that the hospital is not messing about with this but I am absolutely petrified.

I feel that this forum has saved my sanity over the last 3 weeks and I have read posts by some of the bravest and most amazing women ever, who have given me both hope and inspiration.

I have never posted before today, I suppose that I thought that actually writing down my diagnosis would make it too real. I can’t really say anything to you about op or treatment because, despite having a massive bag full of leaflets and books, I am kind of trying to just march through things at the moment.

You sound like you’re coping well and I’m sorry that I have rambled on a bit and that I can’t give you an answer to your questions. I suppose I just wanted to say Hi, good luck and I’m sure that some of these very lovely ladies will have some sound advice for you.

Rach xxxx

Hi booksandwine

I’m so sorry to hear of your diagnosis. All those tests pass by in a bit of a whirlwind don’t they. I had a mastectomy and sentinal node biopsy on 12th December 2012. I went to the hospital at 7.30 in the morning and had surgery at about 3.30pm. So I had a one night stay. Some have their surgery first thing, and go home later the same day. It really depends on what time you go down to theatre. Afterwards I had no pain where I’d had the mastectomy, but where the lymph nodes had been removed was a little stiff. The worst bit for me was the place beneath my arm where the drain came out (not all surgeons put a drain in). I can understand your concern about how you will look afterwards. I too was large breasted (44D) but I only had the one removed. You will be given a prosthesis (free) but I find mine uncomfortable and never wear it. As far as what you can ask for, by all means ask about a double mx, or you could perhaps have an mx and recon with a slight reduction on the other side to ‘balance’ you out. Do discuss it with either your surgeon, or your breast care nurse. There is no reason why you should end up unhappy with the way you look. 

As for whether surgery  that soon is normal, is entirely up to your circumstances. So I’ll wish you all the best. Please keep us up to date with how you get on.

poemsgalore xx