Fasting before Chemo Sessions

Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this has been asked before but has anyone tried fasting the day before treatment and did if make any difference to the side effects? Just wondering if its worth a try as just emerging from my first on the 2nd December following a particularly bad reaction. C xx

Apparently a lot of the 5 :2 diet was done around chemo and cancer research if you read the origins of the book . It is supposed to make you feel less **bleep** and I was thinking of trying this my self . But fasting isn’t not eating at all its limiting you in take and eating healthy foods and fluids xx

A friend sent me s link about fasting in chemo, I’ll try to find it when at my PC tomorrow x

Two day diet by. Dr. Mi helle Harvey and Professor Howell at christie in manchester . They did the original research and all based on scientific trials . You can order the book in line xx

Thanks eveyone. Going to check it out xx

Hi, I’m new to these threads so apologies if my answer isn’t really relevant. I had my first FEC cycle on 26th Nov and although I didn’t fast as such, I made an effort to drink at least 3 litres of fresh water on the day before, the actual day and the following day of treatment. I really feel it helped me feel less nauseous although I still felt very strange! I also ate small amounts regularly and used ginger in various guises regularly. I know everyone’s responses are different but I think it helped for me so will try again for my next cycle on 17th Dec. I’m eager to pick up any tips from this thread! Rachel x

Hi H, I like the idea of home made soups as was getting worried that I wouldn’t be getting enough vitamins on the days I didn’t feel like eating much. I was also advised by the chemo nurses against salads due to the water content and possible risk of e-coli (contaminated soil?) which is heartbreaking as I LOVE tomatoes, cucumbers etc. I take on board the fact that every cycle may be different and am possibly bring a little naive in thinking they follow the same pattern. Will persevere with the water though and report back! Let me know how you get on. X

I like the idea of the Nutri bullet and will see if I can get one. I’ve also been told about pineapple for a sore mouth although don’t seem to have had this yet. Think I may have become addicted to ginger!!!

I have just completed my sixth and final chemo today and would recommend the following: drink lots and lots of water all the way through your treatments even if you don’t feel thirsty, eat lots of vegetables especially green leafy ones as they will keep your iron levels up, also dried fruits such as apricots and figs and Brazil nuts. Make sure you brush your teeth after every meal and follow with the salt water mouthwash, rest when tired and do not overdo things. All these things helped me immensely xxxxxx

Hi Lorraine, congratulations on your final treatment, hope you’re doing something to reward yourself! I noticed after my second treatment that I didn’t drink as much water as first time round (probably as its been cold and I didn’t feel as thirsty) but I think it made the side effects worse for me. I’m therefore going to make a real effort for my third treatment on 7th Jan. Not a big fruit fan (bananas excluded) so will up the green leafy vegetables. Looking forward to getting to my last treatment too! xxx

Hi, new to this.  Have got thru 3 fec sessions. Felt ok generally enough to go to work but this 3rd one has floored me energy wise. My mouth has decided to fall apart with ulcers, ive slways suffered with food tasting off due to metallic taste. Staying hydrated has not been easy, even water tastes horrible! Ive now discovered that i like flat lucozade.  Try it. Anything is worth a go. 

Hi rookie, I’ve got my third FEC on weds and was worrying that it may get worse. My mouth has generally been ok ulcer wise but sounds like that may change. I haven’t worked since my surgery and at times when I’ve felt well I’ve felt SO guilty but I’m a mental health nurse and probably not in the best mind set to be let loose at work at the moment!!! I take my hat (and wig off!) off to all you ladies balancing work and treatment, I honestly don’t think I could do it even if my employers let me. I’m going to try the flat lucozade idea though as worth trying anything to get through the awful first few days following chemo.

Hi ladies I had fec3 on Friday. I find fizzy water bette than ordinary. Also fennel tea and ginger tea are pretty good. Can’t go near coffee for five days! I’ve got a few ulcers this time, someone mentioned pineapple is good?

Havent tried pineapple, have seen it suggested a few times. If the weather picks up tomorrow i’ll hit the shops &try everything mentioned. Went to the drs yesterday & she reckoned my mouth ulcers are actually cold sores ugh.  I’m resorting to pureed food & drinking thru a straw. I thought id done so good till now. I’m dreading monday its my 4th session but 1st of the docetaxel. I need to be strong but my mouth is making me feel so low, i feel like giving up.         I wont, i cant.

Rookie that sounds the pits. You need to eat well to fuel your body to cope with this. Good luck with the tax x

Really feel for you rookie. A friend of mine whose been through a few chemo cycles now has said that pineapple really helped her when her mouth was at its worse. As mentioned before, it’s so important to keep your strength up so get anything nutritious down you in way shape or form you can! You WILL do this x

My first 5 days are definitely the worst murphy then the nausea at extreme fatigue go - to be replaced by meet tiredness and insomnia!

Steroids definitely keep you awake and buzzing - I haven’t had them yet but start in two weeks with paclitaxel, joy of joys! We have a “breakfast club” with the November ladies as most of us are up at 3-5am! Must be something to do with the drugs x

I’ve just had 3rd FEC. Find that feel I could climb mountains the following day but day after feel really ropey which lasts until about the 5th day. I was told to take my steroids all before 2pm so they didn’t interfere with sleep but struggled last night and was wide awake with racing brain at 3am!! Feeling a little more nauseous this time but trying to persevere with eating regularly. Frustratingly I’ve developed phlebitis in my arm now, they’ve used 3 different veins now, worried I’ll run out of viable veins and will need port for last 3 cycles…am sure there’s a different thread for that though! Reassuring to know that others also decided too difficult to go to work through this xx