cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Fat Busting February 2017

48 REPLIES 48
Scotty66

Re: Fat Busting February 2017

Must admit not exactly got any will power or self-control for this. Sticky toffee pudding and custard last night. Mmm. it's really difficult when it's a way to give yourself a treat at a crappy time. Oh well. Maybe I'll lose my appetite when I do the T part of chemo?!

Silverlady

I didn't do very well - I had a cheese, mayo & salad cream long cob for dinner and hubby asked me what I would like for dinner, so I had egg and chips and bread and butter - it was delicious.

Now that I might lose weight whilst having chemo, I'm going to have a takeaway tonight, double bonus, I get a sick bowl for free.

Emily T

For all you chemo ladies, my sister  (research nurse) said they tell all of thear patients to eat what they like as they will lose weight anyway on chemo!! Worth thinking about! 

Yes, I didn't do to well yesterday, lunch consisted of a pack of crisps and a giant slice of home made (by thevyard owner at dressage) cream and jam sponge πŸ˜‚ it was bloody lovely though x

ali1961

I'm aiming to lose 56lbs πŸ˜’ This is what I lost two years ago but then put back on. I reckon I can do that in six months if I concentrate. Fewer absentminded nut snaffles needed!
Silverlady

I am finding it hard to be good.  I just want to eat my favourite foods up until Thursday - cause who knows what I will like afterwards.

p.s. I put 2lbs on - I think that's cause I was thinking about the vat of Rolos.

Strudel

I had an interim weigh in this morning. I needed to lose 25lbs when I started. I now need to lose 26.4 😱 Maybe the rolos weren't my best idea. So Rubycat, it's not just you!
Silverlady

A vat of Rolos - that sounds like heaven. I'm hungry now.
Strudel

Er, water retention from the cake Ruby? That's my answer and I'm sticking to it. I'm doing better today. Fell into a vat of rolos yesterday and boy did I have a headache to prove it. Don't think the scale's going to be my friend this week.

200 grams of nuts is serious absent mindedness news Ali. Unless they were big in which case you'd barely noticed. I appear to have missed the bit about this being the move - congratulations!

Silverlady

Hahaha Ruby, your diet sounds as good as mine. They bought me a huge chip cob with mayo at lunchtime today, as it will be the last time I'm in on a Friday for a month.

It was delicious
rubycat

My scales show a 2lb difference from Weds  - hold your horses - don't all get well jell, the move is UPWARDS. WTF is that all about? Oh yes, perhaps it was the jinormous piece of the most scrummy chocolate caramel fudge cake that I've EVER had on Weds night, followed by burger last night. I know exactly what to do on my 'healthy eating' odyssey, so why the ####ing hell can't I get my arse into gear and DO IT? I despair of myself at times.Cat Sadxxx

Scotty66

Impressed that they weren't covered in chocolate! Hope the move goes without a hitch. Think you might feel a drop in temperature!!

ali1961

Ha ha. Proving that you can resist everything ..... except temptation.

I've absent mindedly eaten 200g of nuts on the journey up to Manchester πŸ˜•
Scotty66

Just back from the hospice. It was sponge and custard for pudding. Ooops! It was bloody lovely though!!

Silverlady

I eat loads of eggs and was always worried that I would get constipated - never has happened.

I am going to have baked potato every night next week with loads of vegetables. Good solid food with not to many calories. I have also bought myself lots of fruit.

It will be interesting to see how the chemo and all the drugs I will be taking effects my weight, which will be easier to keep track of, if I come on here.
Strudel

I hear you Susan. He looked at my food diary and declared I wasn't a fussy eater! There are few foods I can't stand, aubergine and pineapples being the main offenders - yuck. I love all food that's good for me, I also love all food that isn't πŸ™„  I eat a bit of fish because I should but other than that only really eat chicken and turkey, occasionally ham. I could easily eat more veggie but had thought eggs were terrible for you. Now I know that's bollocks I'm going for it - especially as they're so cheap!

Silverlady

I love veg and prefer butter to spread any day, especially on toast!
I don't tend to eat much meat as I don't like the taste and I love eggs.

I can't understand why I need to lose weight, it maybe all the other stuff I love.

I weighed myself on Wednesday, so will report back here on Wednesday next week, if I have lost anything.

Strudel

I saw a nutritionist through The Haven yesterday and he was quite good. I was more interested in the effect of food on ER + than losing weight but we also covered my sugar monster. Here's what he told me:-

- eat cruciferous veg such as cabbage family, broccoli, cauliflower etc. Good to combat ER 

- eat real butter instead of low fat spreads. Be careful if choosing spreadable as they chuck the same rubbish in some of those as the other spreads

- eat organically if possible for dairy and meat in particular. However, he then went on to contradict himself massively re dairy and ER and I don't intend to post what he said because it confused me. The diet and exercise video on here was more helpful

- he also told me to avoid soya re ER but that also seems to be outdated advice too so I'm not going to panic about it. 

- apparently you have to eat 9 eggs a day for there to be any effect on cholesterol so eat as many as you like

There were no real surprises in there, the most interesting thing he said was about the eggs!

Emily T

Yeah I'm a disaster, went shopping after the yard so got Pizza for tea...in morrisons, so I had lots of veg to be healthy...shame about the cheese and base lol
Scotty66

I really struggle with cutting carbs but I know I should. As a veggie I tend to eat alot of rice and pasta. Swapped to wholewheat/ brown a while ago but just read it makes little difference with pasta. Bugger. Love a baked potato too. Oh and toast with lashings of butter...... Now I'm hungry! Ali I'd  but its just trying to kind thehave a night of getting mortal before the move but that probably says more about me. I think exercise is going to be the key. Some of the weight gain is beyond our control with the drug regime. It's just trying to find the energy to exercise. I can't face more than a tottle around the village a few times a week. I'm starting a course at a local hospice tomorrow. If I get any good tips I'll pass them on. Only going for the free complimentary therapies. Oh and the free 3 course lunch. Is it bad that I'm hoping its sponge and custard for pudding?

ali1961

Absolutely. Obviously if they were covered in milk chocolate, that would be a disaster.

I've got tons to lose. Ok, that might be an exaggeration, but lots. I have always been an extreme dieter, can drop two stone easily, by cutting carbs out, but it always goes back plus some more. That is a terrible habit and puts strain on the heart, I think the difference this time is, I don't feel immortal any longer. So I'm going to get a grip. I'm adopting a low carb approach. I know it works for me, there's a lot of research suggesting it's great for prevention/treatment of Type 2 diabetes, and government guidlines are likely to be adjusted to recommend it soon. So I've cut out all sugar, bread/ potatoes, rice and pasta. I'm trying to eat protein, good fats and low carb veg. I might allow one day a week when I have some sugar or carbs, but I can't afford to relax much more than that. The stupid thing is that this way of eating allows cheese, meat, fish, eggs and lots of nice veg. Those are things I like. It's just that I've usually eaten them with the other stuff.  I'm not counting calories, but nor am I going to pig out.

Challenges.

1. In our cellar we have a lot of wine, and were intending to drink it before moving to Manchester.  

2. My gorgeous daughter won me a box of very special chocolates yesterday. Made at Galvin restaurants. It was a top raffle prize. Aaaarghh, maybe if I eat them on my cheat day and nothing else????

3. I think my metabolism has crashed post cancer. So I really should do some exercise. But what I want to do is snuggle down and save my energy.

Anyway enough diet wisdom from me. I think I need to do less 'talk the talk' and more 'walk the walk' on this (literally!)

Ali xx

Silverlady

I like your way of thinking Scotty!
Scotty66

Ginger for the nausea and dark chocolate is medically proven to be good for you. Probably. Yep healthy breakfast

Silverlady

Are ginger biscuits covered in dark chocolate o.k for breakfast? Smiley Happy

Emily T

I love this thread. Soooo if raisins count then so does wine..its also grapes????

Seriously, I stood on the scales, I'm 3lb heavier than I thought so I need to lose 17lb and then maybe another 7 but we will see how I go.

I was pleaswe with myself last night as I didn't head straight for the wine and only had a small glass with my tea. Its where I need to start. The onc reminded me of the link to BC Smiley Sad

Anyway, I have lots of diet tips, I just need to follow them myself lol!

I do lile slimming world and when I diet I try to stick to their principles. The thing is, other than wine I don;t eat much crap, I just eat far too much and I like my bread and cheese!!

ali1961

I don't see why not. After raisins are dried grapes, and they're definitely fruit.

That supper sounds lovely. (I'm not really hungry, just can't persuade my stomach!) 

Ali x

EJM60

Can I ask if a toasted tea cake counts as one of my five a day. There was lots of fruit in it - I stopped on the way home from rads and before I knew it i ordered a toasted tea cake to go with my coffee - I only used half of the butter though! I did make a healthy curry for tea - used coconut oil to fry the Chicken and onions, added curry powder, garlic, tinned tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, Apple and raisins - and froze half for another day before we had seconds!
rubycat

Well, weighed this morning, ouch, nearly 3 stone to get orff. Gulp.. Then realised I'm out for pub grub with my book club tonight, could of course have a salad and no pudding  .... as if that's going to happen! But I'll be good up until this evening - does that still count??

Slimming World tips : always eat breakfast, don't skip meals, fill your plate with lots of veg, don't use oil in cooking -  use Frylight.

Why don't grapes taste as nice as cakes? Cat Very Happyxxx

Strudel

Yes Scotty it does count, has to surely?

Jane, I fear I may have to say the "e" word. I know I do not do enough exercise but it's the only way to speed things up. When I return to my real life next month I genuinely don't know how I'm going to fit everything in.

I need to quit sugar.  I love it but it doesn't love me back. So I'm doing well, 11am and haven't messed up yet 😊

Scotty66

You have Christmas biscuits left??!! Now to me that's impressive. Just did my first weigh in. I've put on a stone since diagnosis at the back end of November. Had no idea that much weight had crept on. First step is cutting back on sugar for me I think. I'm a bit of a tea addict! Right time to tackle housework with vigour. That counts as exercise right?!

EJM60

Can I join in too please! Rubycat I went to weightwatchers and achieved my target March 15 and seem to have also found 2 stone from somewhere! Getting the weeble look I think!

My appetite has been terrible since my diagnosis, forced down little bits of food for a month and only lost 3 pounds - how does that work. My metabolism is so slow so tips on how to help would be appreciated please. Still not got a good appetite for healthy food but craving carbs, so need to reduce these and hide the rest of the Christmas biscuits!
Jane
Sallyann43

Ooooh it's sooo bloody hard ... did really well with the healthy eating yesterday until I arrived at my daughters (hubby and I always stay over tues night ready to look after grandson on Wednesday) .... "what's for tea" I asked ... "chippy" she said .... πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆ .... just couldn't say no πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‚. Today is a new start πŸ˜πŸ˜¬πŸ˜†
Strudel

Love the pics Rubycat!

Ok, so looking at Scotty's chart it is as I feared. I'm teetering, overweight/healthy weight. I made a really good start.... Right up until the granola.
ali1961

Ha ha, you two. This might almost be fun. Apart from the whole diet bit. Oh, sorry, I mean changing the way I eat for ever bit.

X

rubycat

Sorry, just found the clotted cream and stuffed it down quick when you weren't looking. Bu~~er, haven't got anything else worth eating before I will also weigh tomorrow morning, ooh, scales are groaning in anticipation.

Cat Very Happyxxx

Scotty66

Put a dollop of jam in that and I'm with you!

ali1961

Ok, I'm going to weigh myself tomorrow and then again next Wednesday morning. I'm going to cut out carbs, which usually works for me, and eat less in general. 

In preparation I am about to have rice pudding, with clotted cream. I am ashamed but excited.

Ali 

ladybowler
Community Champion

Rubycat

Hey, sending you a hug and hope you are doing ok xxxx

Silverlady

I'm o.k. as long as I am 6ft 7" πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Emily T

lol Scotty, now I like that idea. 

I also need to lose weight. Summer 2014 I did the couch to 5k running thing and was fitter than I have ever been and also lost alot of weight and toned up. I wasn't my lightest but I felt great. I'm thinking of trying to do it again. I really got into it and craved the rush I got from running. 

So I think I need to lose at least a stone and a half...is that 21 pounds? but would be happy with a stone

Hmmmm I have just re-looked at that chart, I probably need to lose nearer 2 stone!!!! 

rubycat

Oooh, is there space for me as well? Used to do Slimming World (which is great) and got to target Xmas 15, needless to say need to get at least 2stone off AGAIN.

I got stuck in my catflap and need help. Rubycat Cat Frustratedxxx

Scotty66

Let's put fertiliser in our boots now and we might be giants by the summer!

ali1961

Thanks, Scotty.

So, I could aim to grow by 9 inches, rather than lose all that weight!!

Ali x

Scotty66

Thought I would post this if it helps.From NHS website so should be trustworthy! I also like the idea of not having to post actual weight. Looking like a bloated slapheaded whale is humiliation enough at the moment!

weight-chart-377.jpg

Sallyann43

I'm in ... woo hoo .. just with my hairdresser now discussing healthy food ... we need to do this ladies . Excellent idea strudel xx
ali1961

And me. I tore my lcl knee ligament last May and spent six months with very limited mobility. I put on a horrendous amount, cut kept on thinking I'd deal with it once the pain was gone. Just got everything working again when bang, breast cancer. (Er, probably more of a whimper.)

I really like the the idea of posting trajectory rather than actual weight, saves the shaming element.. Like you, Scotty, I've been in carb heaven since starting chemo. Also I am greedy.  And I'm a good cook, and my husband used to own a bakery. So he (with his skinny man metabolism) thinks nothing of knocking up a pork pie or some home made sour dough. I need to get a grip.

Ali x

Scotty66

Definitely need to join this! Since starting chemo I've done nothing but trough. I haven't had the loss of appetite or nausea, just serious carb cravings. I don't even know what my ideal weight is for my height - not exactly tall! Will have to google. While OH has been great at cooking when I don;t feel like it. I'm veggie and that's a bit out of his comfort zone. Nutritionist appointment sounds likeit might give some help and inspiration. Wish I was a better cook!

Strudel

Weekly weighing in is a great idea. I have a nutritionist's appointment on Thursday (via the haven) as long as it dosn't clash with my rads appointment.
I'm not too keen on cooking either. I struggle with breakfast and lunch. Healthy portable ideas for work. I also need to be honest and not snack!
Silverlady

Hi Strudel,

We need a weekly weigh in - not what we weigh, but how much we have lost.  That could be every Wednesday.

Slimming & Healthy food menu's is what I need, that are quick to make (I hate cooking).  I need at least 3 stone to come off.

And any tips to stop snacking would be greatly appreciated.

Strudel

Fat Busting February 2017

In homage to the name of the forum I really hope to do well here but am looking for a fair amount of inspiration!

It seems I'm not alone in needing to lose weight. I've got steadily fatter since I got ill (not BC) in 2012 and now I need to lose a fair bit of weight.  Everything I read about ER+ in particular suggests that over-poundage is not your friend. I bit the bullet and weighed myself. I thought I needed to lose a stone "or so". Let's make that 25lbs. Oh dear.

I lose weight tediously slowly but have marvellous scales that weigh in 0.2lb increments. Please don't leave me posting to myself!