Fat necrosis after surgery and radiation: does it have to be surgically removed?

Hello,

I’m posting my question here because I don’t know under which category it should really go.  I was diagnsoed  with invasive lobular carcinoma (ILC) in July and had a lumpectomy by the end of the month.  This was followed a month later by 25/5 sessions of radiation.  I’m done with radiation.  I’ve been put on Tam two months ago.

My oncologist had requested an ultrasound which I had two weeks ago.  The radiologist said she could see a nodule in the same place of the surgery and performed a biopsy.  The results showed this is a fat necrosis probably resulting from surgery and/or radiation.  My surgeon wants to have it removed. 

My question is: does this fat necrosis need to be surgically removed?  What if I decide not to have it removed?  I’m dreading the thought of going through another surgery three months after the first one and my skin is still tender after radiation.

I hope somoene can help answer my question.

Thank you.

I have some as well,following a DIEP 3 months ago.Going back to hospital on Friday.Will let you know of outcome.Haven’t had any RT…however,my surgeon muttered something about surgery.My heart sank,have had so many breast ops…did put something on this board a few weeks ago,and received one reply.A bit concerned ad not as common as I thought it would be…what size is the necrosis?mine is about size of satsuma.Take care.