Fat transfer reconstruction

Hi,

I am just wondering if anyone out there has had a whole breast reconstruction using fat transferred from elsewhere using lyposuction? I am waiting for this, no date received yet but should know soon. Would appreciate your opinion of the outcome and general appraisal of the process.

Becky x

Dear Becky

Just bringing this to the top as I was afraid because of the new Latest posts layout it may have been overlooked.

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Hi,

Sorry I haven’t had this done but would be really interested to hear more about it. My LD flap & implants haven’t been very successful and I have been offered fat transfer to reshape them but this sounds like a much better idea.

Hope someone out there can help us.

Hi Anna,

I haven’t had it done yet but I have it on good authority that the results are very good, soft and natural feel with a great shape to match the other one (if you still have it, that is). Also, if you do need another mastectomy in the future then fat transfer can be done on again - not necessarily possible with LD flap, Diep etc. It all depends where you live, really, as this is very new indeed and not widely available - but like everything else in life, if you don’t ask you don’t get! I understand the breastcare hospital in Nottingham does this procedure more than anywhere else does and there are a couple of surgeons in Bristol who are pioneering it here. Fat transfer for whole breast reconstruction is available in Miami, and if you Google this I think there are some videos you can watch about it.
Good luck with everything.
Becky

I had liposuction and implants several months ago for bilateral breast cancer following radiotherapy. The lipo was reabsorbed in my body and I am currently awaiting reconstructive surgery.
I do not recommend lipo. it has destroyed the loook of my breasts.
I wonder if there is anyone who can recommend types of reconstructive surgery which does work?

Hi Badger,

Do you mind my asking where you had this procedure done? I understand the risk of re-absorption snd know that for whole breast recon I’m looking at a minimum of 3 operations over the next 18 months - is this what you had?
There are a few options which ‘work’ and these involve either moving lumps of fat with blood vessels attached, or muscles from your back/stomach augmented by implants. Look for info on LD flap and Diep flap/Tram flap. All ops come with their own downsides and it really is a matter of choice and what suits the individual; I’m sure that one of them will be right for you and wish you well.

Becky x

Hi

To add to Becky’s post, I had a DIEP reconstruction at Castle Hill hospital in Hull in April this year. They used fat, skin and blood vessels from my stomach and created a new breast for me and the result has been quite amazing. I have a breast which looks very natural and a flat tummy in the process. So far, I have only had 1 operation. The PS has said that I could do with a little lipofil in one area, but I think I will leave it for the time being to see how things settle. I also am on the waiting list for a nipple reconstruction, but I don’t yet have a date for that. Again, I’m in two minds whether I even have that done yet - I feel that I’ve been in some kind of pain/discomfort all year due to biopsies and the operation, I just want to have some ‘pain-free’ time for a while
Hope this helps.
Mandy xx

Hi,
I had a mastectomy and LD reconstruction earlier this year. I resisted the suggestion that I should have silicone and my surgeon rebuilt my breast with fat from my back. It is not at all obvious where he took that from and the reconstructed breast is a fabulous shape. I am a B cup, so appreciate that this would not have been possible if I was larger breasted.
I am the surgeon are very pleased with the result.
V