1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fatigue and Tamoxifen

hopalong

Re: Fatigue and Tamoxifen

Well ladies its been 21 days since my last tamoxifen and today I restart, I have still been having flushes night sweats occasionaly but no fatigue/uncontrolled pain. I have not needed afternoon naps and have generaly felt well. I am understandaly nervous about restarting but it has to be done and with oncologist saying "we will just have to try and deal with side effects you need hormone therapy" i'll just have to put my big girl pants on and deal with it. I am restarting with my original brand but have asked at chemist and pharmacist can supply an alternative brand if my symptoms return to try for a month before I return to the oncologist for my next review.

gndfan

I am also so pleased to read I am not the only one having the same symptoms on Tamoxifen. I actually was feeling really well up until I started taking these. Now 2 months on I feel so exhausted, cant sleep properly, nausea and taste buds just not the same and raging headaches. I have my first check up next month so will be speaking to my oncologist about this for sure. Thank you at least I know I am not going mad now 🙂

strebord

So nice to read all of these comments, its exactly how I am feeling after 9 months of tamoxifen. I feel tired, spaced out, nauseous, achey and its so comforting to hear I'm not the only one. Thank heavens for this forum. sadly my poor children get the results of this and have a very snappy mum...
hopalong

Went to oncologist for 3 month check yesterday. I'm now having a tamoxifen holiday for a month to see if my fatigue improves. Will let you know how I get on

Helm

Hi Jas and angiepops - yes I have. A few months after chemo (which ended in 2013) I was wondering why I wasn't feeling any better - I was still terribly fatigued, feeling constantly light headed, joint pain etc. as though I was still on chemo. I thought I should have been starting to feel better by then, so I wondered if it was the hormone therapy, so  I stopped taking my Tamoxifen for a couple of weeks and lo and behold I started feeling so much better, so I saw my Oncologist for advice and we thought trying a different tablet might be better (Letrosole) - but that was doubly worse  - I had to stop taking it after 2 days it was so bad. So now I'm on Exemesthane, but I still feel pretty awful every day - so fatigued, feeling like flu without the chills, get out of breath at the drop of a hat, headaches, and broken sleep at night becuase of the sweats doesn't help - this has been nearly two years....

I'm not suggesting this will be the same for you, but it seems like there is a small percentage of women who do not get along with these types of tablets. The best thing you can do is visit your Oncologist and see what he/she says. They may have any suggestions for alternative medications, or suggest blood tests or other tests to check that everything is okay. Everyone is different so you may find you feel better on something else. Best of luck, I hope you feel better soon. 

rebel1

Hi been to docs re fatigue, had a blood test to check for any other causes. She suggested that a low dose of anti depression tablets may help, will let you know.
hopalong

Still struggling, helpful BCN advised me to stop taking tamoxifen !!!! Think I'll wait until I see oncologist

lucy12

Hi Lovelies
Just a thought, but if you are constantly cold and fatigued, it could be worth getting your thyroid checked...
I put most things down to tamoxifen but there could be other things that could be causing symptoms. They symptoms of an underactive thyroid are remarkably similar to the side effects of tamoxifen - fatigue, weight gain, joint pain, thinning hair, feeling cold, depression, mood swings...
xx
Rosemaryanne

Wow, Barbados! Very jealous!

I'm so grateful for this forum, it's reassuring to know I'm not the only one feeling like this. It's going to be fun when winter arrives...

I was hoping all this would settle down, but see that some still feel the same after years on this stuff. I know it's there to keep us safe, but wonder if I can deal with 5 years of this "half-life". I want my energy back!

Love, Rose xx

Wendyy
Volunteer

I think I've lost control of body temperature too. I've been on Tamoxifen since Oct. Freezing cold one minute then hot flush the next! I'm on holiday in Barbados at the moment and keep getting stared at wrapping my a cardigan around me in the midday sun. But on a better note my Lymphodema has settled down in the heat...strange 😏
Rosemaryanne

The air conditioning at work wasn't working last week. Everyone was down to the minimum clothing, I was snatching their discarded cardies and getting myself well wrapped up! xx
Jobey68

Hi Rose, I'm just going into week 6 and yes I feel cold a lot now, I've had the odd hot flush mainly in the night but I'm constantly complaining of feeling chilly, my hands and feet are always freezing! Tamoxifen is just the gift that keeps on giving it would appear lol!! X
Rosemaryanne

Hi

I'm about 10 weeks into my 5 years on Tamoxifen. I was fortunate not to need chemo so can't compare it with that, but I certainly agree with the fatigue. Started a phased return to work last week (rads finished 3 weeks ago), just doing 3 four hour shifts last week and this week. My manager is very flexible about progress back to full time hours.

I was wondering today- should I do more so that I get used to doing more and acclimarise myself through the tiredness, or should I just wait for it to ease and then do more? I kind of wonder if I've got into a habit of resting when I need to and it's a habit I should start to break. Does that make sense?

Oh, Angie,I get the nausea too. Tried ginger tea which was disgusting, so sticking with the ginger biscuits. 

Anyone else feel cold? I seem to be shivering through this mini-heatwave, cold all the time except when the hot flushes strike.

I know the stuff is supposed to be keeping cancer at bay, but I really hate it at times.

I just hope it all settles down in time

Love

Rose xxx

Jobey68

Hiya, have been lucky enough not to feel sick , I take mine in the evening which was recommended by BCN, but am becoming more and more tired and weary feeling, my side and hip aches, I've recently changed brands and within 3 days my period started though I'd not had one whilst taking the previous ones, could just be coincidence but it's not helped my mood as hoped I wouldn't have any whilst taking them!! I am sleeping better but I think that's down to having results and knowing what's going on now, I'm sure my SE will increase as I know it's early days for me and I'm starting rads next week so dread to think how I'm going to stay awake! Jo xx
angiepops

hi

i have broken sleep, achey joints, could fall asleep standing up im so tired, now i seem to have developed a sicky feeling. ive been eating ginger biscuits to take it off - have any of you hd this as a SE too? ive been on tamoxifen since sept 2013. always have same brand, nothings chnged, i just seem to always feel sick.

angie xx

Mindy63

The fatigue does pass. Having a broken sleep really doesn't help though which is a def. side effect. I'd suggest getting an early night whenever possible. Even if you don't sleep you'll get extra hours in bed. Try and get a lie in whenever possible. I seem to sleep much better in the morning and force myself to lie in when possible.

Jobey68

I've been taking Tamoxifen for 5 weeks now since diagnosis, yet to start rads, and I'm beginning to feel the fatigue building up also aches and pains in various places and although I know it's due to the tablets it's hard not to imagine all sorts, I've never been a hypochondriac but I'm fast turning in to one! Dread to think how I will feel after 5 years on them but as hubby keeps reminding me if your suffering SE then they are doing their job! Xx
rebel1

Hi I'm on them too and I get very frustrated with the fatigue I feel I'm turning into a hypocrondriac! Like you I would appreciate any advice.
MrsGoggins

Hi All

I have just started taking Anastrazole and until this week had sailed through surgery and halfway through rads feeling rather smug with no ill effects. However, I now feel I have hit a brick wall of fatigue and nausea.  I work full time in our own business and find that I am almost on my knees by lunchtime and seriously cannot stay upright.  So now my routine has included stopping work at 1 and sleeping until I go for rads at 3.30....I guess it is like most things the SE's will settle and we find a new equilibrium.

Hugs to you all

Katie

x

Jobey68

I'm going to start the new ones today and see how I get on, I've had few issues with the others which begin with a w, can't remember the name! If these affect me differently then I will see if I can get back on the original ones, had no idea there were different brands! Xx
hopalong

I'm on Teva but wondering about a change. Sorry I can't help just think its a matter of trying and see what happens then requesting from dr/pharmacy the best for you.

I'm trying to take my tamoxifen at different times at the momment changing weekly to see if it has any effect on my fatigue/sleep problems

Jobey68

I've just picked up my repeat prescription for Tamoxifen from my local chemist and it's Relon chem and not wockhardt that I had been given by the hospital, have read many awful things about Relon chem so now worried about taking them as been fine on the others, anyone got any advice please?? Xx
pandorra1

Interesting to hear about se with tamoxifen. I am taking anastrozole and although just finished rads, I  am sure the tablets are contributing to me feeling absolutely drained. Sending energy to all you lovely ladies xxxxxx

angiepops

hi all, i know what you mean, ive never felt sowashed out. not sure what to do, might visit the docs, anyone else been for medical advice

angie xx

hopalong

Jas, I'm so glad you started this thread.

My fatigue is unbelievable, I feel more tired than when I was having chemo. I only needed afternoon naps in week 1 of chemo when the steroids messed up my sleep, but since starting tamoxifen 2 months ago i have had to sleep every afternoon and feel physicaly sick if I don't and by the time I've cooked an evening meal I have no energy to wash up.

People are telling me that it's my body and mind adjusting to no chemo but I feel it is more than that, any suggestions gratefully received

catchpole

Hi Jas

Ive been on tamoxifen for acouple months and i have to say although i fee well and the only real side effect is night sweats and odd hotflush, probably magnified cause id been on HRt for years, it probably caused my cancer  i dont seem to be quite so full of life as i was,  Im in my 60s and have always felt years younger, still do in my head, not sure my body is quite same,  I seem to wake up in night a lot, possibly due to sweats they do seem slightly better im taking evening primrose,. But i miss HRT if there was a safe one to take i would, i took it initially cause my mum had osteoporosis very badly and as im very small boned, my risk was high, but it made me feel good so i kept on taking it, on reflection probably wrong but i havent got osteoporosis, narrow bones yes, but ive got them anyway, But i still have no other medical problems, dont look in bad shape so hopefully these flushes etc, will eventually cease   Would be good to hear if anyone could reccomend a supplement to help us.  June

Jas

Fatigue and Tamoxifen

I have been taking Tamoxifen since Feb 2014. The only real side effects I have are fatigue, being unable to focus and remember things! I thought all of these things would have disappeared by now but the fatigue is definitely getting worse. I have a very busy life and being unable to do as much as I did is very frustrating! Is it just me or does anyone else have this problem......?? Any tips on helping this problem would be greatly appreciated!