Favourite foods & recipes - whilst on chemo

Since I started chemo (FEC) in late January - I’ve found myself becoming very preoccupied by food: craving some foods (mushrooms) and being put off by others (cream cheese sandwiches) - probably as I was eating one whilst drugs were going in through the drip. Another lady I know could only face drinking coke and eating salt and vinegar crisps whilst on taxotere …

I thought it would be interesting to SHARE FOOD EXPERIENCES and favourite RECIPES whilst on chemo. If we get sufficent - I’d love to compile into a FOOD BOOK which could be sold to go to BC charity… or perhaps given to new bc patients…

Here’s one from me to start off:

Cheese straws

200g plain flour, plus extra for rolling out
120g cheddar, grated
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
100g butter, chilled and cubed
1 egg yolk

Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Mix the flour, 100g cheese and cayenne together in a bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and bring the mix together into a dough.

Roll out on a lightly floured surface to form a rectangle, about 5mm thick, slightly larger than A4 size. Trim the edges and cut in half lengthways, then cut each half into 8 strips. Transfer to a lined baking sheet, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake for 10 minutes, until pale golden. Cool for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.

Bright x