Optimissy64

Re: February 2017 Radiotherapy

OK, I'll let you off then!  Grrr. xxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Optimissy

That is fab news, good things come in threes 🙂

I have to say I have not made any real lifestyle changes, however, I have still kept off the 9lb that I lost leading up to my and I usually lose about a half a stone over the summer when I am bowling. 

Ha ha, I think it might have something to do with the fact that we were both born in the same country, Singapore!!  He asked me if it was correct on my form and I said yes, to which he replied so was I, so an affinity more than cancer there 🙂

Helena xxx

Optimissy64

Hello Patriciamay and Lady Bowler

well, as promised, I am posting this following my oncology appointment today with my lovely oncologist, to add to both your positive posts, making it a hat-trick. All my (long list) of questions were answered satisfactorily, he reiterated that the prognosis was very good, and also what he had said previously about people with early breast cancer sometimes outliving folk who've never had cancer due to "lifestyle changes".

He agreed with the prognosis I'd already got when I put my info into "NHS Predict" recently, and although did not use the word "cured", which I didn't expect him to anyway, I don't have cancer at the moment. He and the surgeon apparently share the oversight of my care between them, so I see the surgeon in June and the oncologist in December around the time of the first annual mammogram. Like you two I feel pretty good right now and just want to get on with normal life. Helena:didn't get a hug though, just a nice handshake - what have you got that I haven't, eh? xxxxx 🙂 

Blueleyla

lady bowler

So pleased for you and it is so lovely to hear positive comments. I see the consultant 24 March so hopefully she will have good news

RunningMum13

Fantastic news Lady B 🙂  xx

Patriciamay

LadyB I am truly truly delighted for you.  Isn't it such an amazing thing, it is so fantastic hearing this news and brilliant that you have posted so other people can see go forth!

Rach,  that's a great boost nearly there these treatment are just world class.   

ladybowler
Community Champion

rach

Yay nearly half way through, it will start to go by quicker now.  Oh what a lovely reward for finishing your rads, he is a lovely hubby.  xx

rach1b70

I know what you mean Ladybowler, I am finally starting to see the light. Today marked day 10 of 23, so hubby booked a 4 day break to Rome for the finishing line. We leave 2 days after treatment ends. I will probably be exhausted, but even small doses of tourism and no daily hospital visits will help me 💕💕xx
ladybowler
Community Champion

rach

thank you, it just shows that there is light at the end of this sometimes long tunnel that we go through xxx

rach1b70

What fabulous news. You can now move forward and enjoy life.

Much love and hugs to you and well done xxx💕💕💕💕
ladybowler
Community Champion

Patriciamay

I dont know if you have seen my post from earlier on other threads following my Onc apt. He basically told me to go now and enjoy life, I am cancer free, his words, prognosis extremely good, I nearly cried just hearing what he said, he finished by giving me a hug 🙂

Taz123

Gillie I don't think the oncs have any idea how we actually feel
Patriciamay

I'm looking out for you Kimjane.  Xxxxx

Kimjane

Hey ... well done on ending rads Patricia😀  We have had our journey together but I still have another 9 sessions to go ... look forward to you catching up in March thread xxx. Best wishes xx

Patriciamay

GillieAnn

Thanks so much for posting this.  I was slightly concerned my post was in-appropriate, so am really relieved you are concurring with what my medical team have said.  All the best. Xxx

GillieAnn

Hi Guys,

I was on the Winter Warmers thread, finished Rads just before Xmas. And I couldn't resist butting in because I found your comments on talking to the ONC so interesting. I had a lumpectomy, clear margins and clear SNB, and 15 rads sessions.

I had my appt with the ONC just before I finished rads and felt I pushed him pretty hard, which is unusual for me but I was really nice about it. I sort of said, what do you mean you don't want to see me now until April / May, I've got breast cancer! He looked kind of surprised and said, but this treatment and the tamoxifen will have cured you, you have about as much chance of it coming back now as anyone else in the population, and if it did well we will be on it in time because of our follow up checks. All of which is great news, the difficulty sometimes is beleiving it isn't it? Mostly I am positive, but sometimes the doubts ambush me......

My BCN has told me I am a screening success. But I still mostly feel as if I am a screaming success. God bless the NHS!

Gillx

Patriciamay

Thank you Taz. And all the best to you all too.  Xx

Taz123

Congratulations patriciamay xxx
Patriciamay

Thank you Blue and Running Mum.  It's a weird feeling.  The staff were lovely today, and everyone here feels like my friends who have been looking out for me.

love and peace to you all.  Xxx

RunningMum13

Hurrah! Congratulations PatriciaMay.xx

Blueleyla

Well done patriciamay, congratulations, fingers crossed for the next check up

Patriciamay

Oh Thank you LadyB how thoughtful of you to think of me before going about your daily things.  I feel all special!   I hope you had a lovely lunch with your friend.

Well I am handing the baton over to you March ladies now  I will be keeping an eye out making sure you get through  this last stage.

I do have that final 6 week check up, so I will let you know what they said.  

I will be keeping up the water and skin care, and mindfulness.  Best wishes to you all.  Xxxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Patriciam

I am going to be busy til late afternoon today so I am putting the bunting out, flags up and ringing them there bells for you now.  Youve done, today is the start of your future post active treatment.  Well done lady and you so deserve it, i just wish the weather was better for you xx  Remember that you will still have the effects of the rads for the next couple of weeks so keep on keeping on with the moisturiser etc., however it does get better.

Lots of love

Helena xxx

bell.jpg

Patriciamay

Ha ha ha what have you lot been up to while I've been to the west end!

Well I know what you mean about time with the oncon, but lists and pants do seem to do the trick. 

Its a tricky question to ask your clinician about being "cured" and prognosis, because you don't necessarily want to know the answer!,  My Hospital has signs saying "Radiotherapy can cure cancer".  My oncologist has won a Pulitzer Prize and she has always been very clear about the advancement of treatment for BC, and for many of us it is successful.  

To summarise my conversation I actually said these precise words. "So I'm not kidding myself to think the treatment I have had puts me at the same risk as the rest of the population, and this is over and done with"?  "Yes precisely you have had curative treatment'. "So I'm not kidding myself"? No you don't have cancer.

at my last session today they have asked me to speak to the hospital charity as they have made huge donations to the department.  Feel very privileged to be able to do that.

weather report - cold and rainy!   Xxxxx

Optimissy64

OOOOH - Cake! (Rubs hands with glee......!) 

Thank you VERY much! It looks very gooey and delicious - think I'll have a wee slice before bed.XX

ladybowler
Community Champion

Optimissy

Well at least they will be cool.

Well happy happy 65th birthday for this week and that is a perfect excuse to eat chocs and drink prosecco

birthday cake.jpg

Helena xxx

Optimissy64

Ho Ho! No worries LadyB, I found mine in the fridge - think it's the brain-fuzz (and I never even had chemo so can't blame that...) so will wear them on 9th - I think your big-girl pants may be too small for me since I've been scoffing chocolate all this week (65th birthday this week) and quaffing Prosecco with friends three days in a row,-  having had 8 weeks of a brilliantly healthy diet, and now gone and put on three pounds in 3 days - but s*d it for this week. XX

ladybowler
Community Champion

Optimissy

I had them because they needed washing, so I put them on the line to give them a good blow in the wind.  They are all nice and clean so sending them to you my dear.  You will be fine, mind you I think they might be a bit creased coz Jak and I will be using them on the 7th 🙂 🙂 xx

Optimissy64

Hi Swampy

for the past week I have been keeping a little log of Qs for the oncologist next week, jotting them down as they pop into my head, and I am going to email them to his secretary tomorrow, before my appointment on 9th March so he can be prepared with the answers. My onc is more approachable than yours sounds, but yours needs to do his job and give you the time you need. This will likely be the last time we see anyone for quite some time so I am determined to get as much info as possible before i disappear into the void that is post-surgery/post-rads. I hope you are able to get what you need from yours. I believe there are some big-girl pants floating around on this Forum but I haven't borrowed them yet - I think I've probably got my own set in my handbag somewhere.

We'll have to compare notes after we've all seen our chaps/chapesses. Good luck to all of us when we grill the oncs. (and good luck to them when we all sit there with our big pants on!) XX

swampy1901

Excellent news patriciamay!! I'm so pleased for you.

Your oncologist seems to be one of the rare ones that will talk and listen to your questions! Whereas with the senior guy at my hospital - he sees you with a list of questions and you can see him thinking 'c**p!! I don't need this! I'm already 2 hours behind on seeing everyone!! and that puts me off asking anything.

His registrar is much better at the listening but doesn't seem to give you answers so you end up no wiser than when you started - maybe I need to put my big girl pants on and start asking pertinent questions especially as I now only have 5 sessions of RT left. 

swampy

Blueleyla

Hi patriciamay thank you for your positive post. This is a very scary journey and I personally find it encouraging to hear positive news. I finish my rads next Wednesday and see the oncologist 24.march. Your post has given me ideas of what to ask as I am already getting worried about what happens afterwards when I am not seeing anyone so frequently.

Patriciamay

Wonderful, just great to share. Xxxxx

Optimissy64

Yep, will certainly let you know what he says next week. When I saw him before the rads he said the prognosis was "very good", and he also said something that I hang on to: "People who have had early stage cancer sometimes live longer than those who haven't had it as they make lifestyle changes.". I thought that was very interesting...........

ladybowler
Community Champion

Partriciamay

I ill definitely post. My apt is at 1.20pm on 7 March, Jak and I on another thread have our apt on the same day and we wanted to compare notes with Sue C who has already had hers.

Helena

Patriciamay

Sorry wishing everyone a peaceful day. Xxx
Patriciamay

LadyB/optimissy

i was slightly reluctant to post as you dare not think that way, and you know how things can be so mis-interpreted.  I can't remember quite how, but it was the oncologist who brought it up, I then went in full steam, with my questions and thoughts.

it would be good if you could post the discussion you have as well.  I have two full days off now.  I plann d it that way so I could kind of make a statement of finality.

Optimissy64

Thanks for this very positive post Patriciamay - i imagine you must be feeling pretty good right now. Excellent news. I have been thinking the same sort of thing, and will be asking my onc next week. I had clear margins, nothing in the sentinel lymph node, have competed 15 rads and am on anastrozole. DEXA scan tomorrow so won't have the results from that for a bit, but not too concerned unless  I'm already showing signs of osteoporosis, which i kind of doubt at the moment. 5 years on Anastrozole may change all that of course! Thanks again. x

ladybowler
Community Champion

Patriciamay

That is one of the questions I am going to be asking my Onc next week, does this mean that I am now cured of cancer because it is something that I have wondered all along, because at the end of the day I was told that I had clear margins round the lump and nothing in the lymph so it is all gone.

Sleep well my friend and only two days to go before we will be ringing those bells for you

Helena xxxx

Patriciamay

Hi

late log in ladies as have been out, (BBC Recording with my Son)

Isn't it funny how it gets emotional towards the end? I am 13/15.  I saw the senior reg today.  All very good news.  My Dexa scan is Normal, so good to hear something is normal.  We discussed lexadrol, and we both agreed happy to stay on,  he said it was an amazing drug.  He confirmed I do not have cancer, that I can and should go forward and put this behind me, which is what I want.  He said the treatment plan for my type of cancer is "curative" and I am very low risk.   Radiotherapy coupled with lexadrol puts my prognosis at the same risk factor as the rest of the general population.  That's good enough for me folks.

I was a bit reluctant to put this detail on a post, but I hope it gives a different angle on things to other readers as we are all living in such a frightening world.

Mama Mia tomorrow at the west end!

have a peaceful day all.  Xxxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

RunningMum

One of the other ladies told us about a bell they had in their hospital, which people rang when they finished their rads,  I think that is a really cool idea. 

It is rather emotional I remember I thought that I was ok, then walking back to my car after my last apt, I just burst into tears, I was amazed at myself

Helena xxx

RunningMum13

Thank you so much for the bells Lady B and to everyone for the good wishes.

There was a bell to ring at hospital which I did today, then promptly burst into tears! I've been feeling emotional all day so wasn't surprised at how I felt, luckily I had my lovely husband with me.

Waiting for the follow-up appointment to come through now for 6-8weeks time.

Good luck to you all with the rest of your treatment and here's to a speedy recovery to all.xx

Blueleyla

Congratulations runningmum

Taz123

Congratulations Windswept and Runningmum xx

Kimjane

Hi all

well done those of you who have finished in the last day or two!  Not long for you now Parricia though I can understand your apprehension.  I am now 8 out of 19 done, am going to the carabean 2 days after finishing but not looking forward to it.  A holiday we had to delay in January due to bc.  My husband is so looking forward to it and he has been wonderful throughout since diagnosis and deserves to go without my saying anything,  I am also now on March rads as March is with us already!

ladybowler
Community Champion

RunningMum

Am posting now as I will be out for part of today, not sure if you have had your LAST rads apt, but this is for you

bell.jpg

Remember to keep up with the moisturising, fluid intake and getting plenty of rest, the next two weeks you will still have the effects of the rads and it can potentially get worse before it gets better, but better it gets.  I am now nearly 6 weeks post rads and everything has settled down lovely, I still get a bit of fatigue some days but a little 10 minute snooze seems to sort it for me.

Hope you have got something nice planned to celebrate.

Helena xxx

Blueleyla

Congratulations windswept. So glad you have finished

Patriciamay

Thank you xxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Patriciamay

Oh dear sending you a hug this evening xx

I think we all have felt like that at some point post rads completing.  I know I did and I spoke to my counsellor about it, she said it is perfectly natural because we have been on this journey for quite some time and have been in one form of treatment or another, but the other side of it is to celebrate the fact  that we have come through it, she actually told me she was very proud of me which took me by surprise and I burst into tears but they were of happiness,  I know I always have my bcn there if I need her or am worried about anything.  I have found that over the past 5 weeks that fear has receded

I took the week after I finished my rads off which meant I was actually off work for 10 days and I found that really helpful.

Looking forward to ringing them bells for you on Friday my friend

Helena xxx