1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

February 2017 Radiotherapy

Patriciamay

Re: February 2017 Radiotherapy

Great stuff windswept.  I am so looking forward to Friday. Oncologist tomorrow and I will report back.  

Today i cried on the radiotherapy table.  I knew something was wrong, you know you get used to the machine, and it didn't move off as I was used to.  They all came out and started questions about did I have a temperature and did my breast feel different.  Obviously they thought I had an infection.  I just started crying.  

They were lovely of course.  Re-adjusted my position and off we went and all was ok.  They were very careful I was ok, and they said everything was fine, just a positioning thing and my skin was fine.

easy day tomorrow, then off  work totally for Thursday and Friday.  I had planned it that way.

i don't know if this makes sense but while you are having treatment it feels safe.  All of a sudden I am thinking what is going to happen when no one is monitoring my body constantly?

think I might make another trip To the therapist.

xxxx

RunningMum13

Congratulations Windswept! I'm joining you tomorrow, feeling quite giddy 🙂 xx

Windswept

Hi Rach and Ladybowler - thanks so much for the bells, HUGE relief to me to be finished today.  Rach I don't even have my hormone therapy tabs yet - my follow up now is in 6 weeks so they are obviously not worried about me in the great scheme of risk factors!  I guess in 6 weeks they will give me whatever tablets I will be taking but I am very grateful for the rest to recover before messing around with hormones.  All the best to those who finish in March and don't eat too many pancakes tonight! x

swampy1901

I'm now half way through my radiotherapy course so will hop over and join the March thread soon. Cat Happy

Today the radiologists noticed that my scar from reconstruction surgery was bleeding - so now no post radiotherapy cream on that area to see if it dries up and scabs over again. This was in an area which took ages to heal and had regular observations and dressings by district nurses and the dressings departments at Wythenshawe Hospital. I am well cheesed off that the whole saga could be starting all over again. Cat Sad

Swampy

ladybowler
Community Champion

WIndswept

I think you are possibly finished your final rad session by now so I am either a little late or a little early today but the bells are ringing for you onwards and upwards, but remember these next two weeks the effects of it will increase so be kind to yourself and remember to carry on moisteruring, resting and drinking plenty of fluids.

bell.jpg

rach1b70

Hi windswept.

My oncologist has told me to get the rads over with before hormone therapy too. He seems to think I will feel worse with them. I am to start taking them the day after my rads finish. They are sitting patiently in my cupboard waiting to be used.

Xx
Windswept

Hi all, last day for me - woo hoo! Rach, I agree you need to slow down if you can.  I've not done any work and very gentle exercise throughout and have only had 2 tired days last week.  My only symptoms so far are a bumpy heat type rash on the thinner skin over my sternum and nipple on the treatment side is pretty sensitive.  I was told it may get worse once I've finished, before it gets better, but hoping without the 3 hours driving each day I can recover well.  Interesting that most of you are already on hormone therapy, my onco doc is letting me recover first before I start.  Stay positive 😄

Blueleyla

Hi patriciamay

Let us know how you get on after seeing the oncologist. I have to wait a further two weeks after finishing rads before I see my oncologistcand have been wondering what happens after that.

Patriciamay

Just a further hello to Kimjane, Blue and swampy,  looks like we are all working through this reasonable well fingers crossed.  Very rainy and cold here tonight in London.  Xxx

Patriciamay

Rock the n to you Rach1b. 6 hours 🚴🏻 🏋️‍♀️ Wow.  Definitely think it is worth it though. If you are able to.  I am now 11/15 -  seeing the oncologist on Wednesday so not sure what to expect, I am hoping it's just a sign off and say on your way.......?  Xx

RunningMum13

Try and take it easy Rach and listen to your body, I've found the treatment fine so far (only 2 left!), but the travelling takes it's toll especially if you're working too.

Hugs to all.xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

rach

omg that is an awful lot to do whilst doing rads, wow girl you really need to slow down and be kind to yourself xxx

Blueleyla

Hi rach1b70

whats a cross fit day? Whatever it is it sounds very energetic. I used to walk with a walking group once a week but decided to take it easy whilst having radiotherapy although am really missing it.

rach1b70

4 sessions done of 23. Feeling awful today, but think that is down to me overdoing it at the weekend. I took part in a 6 hour crossfit day on Saturday followed by a late night out in the evening. May need to work out a balance from here on in.

Xxx
Blueleyla

Hi Eight treatments done, seven to go over half way now. Still feel of so far

Kimjane

Five treatments in and ten days on Letrozole ... so far so good ... tired but could be my imagination ... keeping up cream and water ... have a great weekend all!

Patriciamay

Hi all

it does so feel like a job doesn't it!  I am looking forward to a couple of days break.

Today I had the choice of what radio station, I chose Magic, such is the fast life I live.  My chest feels very "lumpen"  - feel that's the best word to describe it,

have a lively weekend,  xxx

rach1b70

Hi all.

They said it was quite normal to feel like that. They described it as the gorging pain when your milk comes in. That is so right. I think tyensize of the boobs plays a bit of a factor in this

Hope everyone doing ok. 3 down, 20 to go xxx
Windswept

Thank you Helena, and I am probably not drinking enough you're right!  I find it tricky enough normally so drinking loads more only makes me want to pee at inopportune times!  so happy coming home today knowing I have 2 days off and then just 2 days to go.  Thanks for the reassurance on hormone treatment, I'll discuss with my onco doc at the follow up.  Have a great weekend everyone x

ladybowler
Community Champion

rach

I have only just seen your post as I have been out and you may well have gone already.  I would just mention it to your team, it could be completely unrelated but they can always have a look at it.  Let us know how you got on.

Helena xx

rach1b70

Hi all

Just a quick question. I am only on day 3, heading off shortly. I have woken up this morning with a really achy and painful breast. The pain is not unbearable, I am Just aware of it and it starts just below the collar bone. I am very large breasted (h cup), so not sure if that has anything to do with it. I also have a small lump appear in the crease of my arm (at the elbow joint).

Has anyone else experienced this, as I was not expecting to feel anything xx
Blueleyla

Hi Windswept

Very apt in out area yesterday! I have had five treatments and 10 to go. I have been on Letrozole for about 6 weeks , I have felt a bit weepy at times but so far no major problems . I am keeping a diary of any symptoms so have evidence in case I have to go back to the doctor. I am lucky in that my hospital is about a 20 minute drive away on a good run. Glad you have joined the group

Blueleyla

Congratulations 

Katkinblue

Thank you xx I didn't have any 'pictures' taken (sulk) that I know of.
Katkinblue

Thank you xx
Taz123

Congratulations katkinblue xx

I was told they took weekly 'pictures' on Wednesdays. Then before the boosts they took a photo on a camera of all the pen marks and the pieces of tape they'd stuck on
ladybowler
Community Champion

patriciamay

No I didnt, I thought that they did something weekly, but actually about it the machine made a noise without actually delivering a beam then it would start so perhaps that was what that was all about.

Definitely important that you listen to your body from now on as this is probably when you are going to start to feel the effects.  I always knew and know when I am getting fatigue, I recognise the signs of my shoulders getting very heavy and then it goes down my arms, the next minute I am asleep, really weird 🙂

Helena x

rach1b70

My radiographer explained about the CT scan at my first session. It is amazing how accurate and fine tuned it all is.

My last session is on 24th March, I think I may be one of the last left in this group

Lots of love to all xx
Patriciamay

Hi Everone and LadyB re. Bells confusion...  or Bellgate.

yes rather foolish of me cycling nothing to be proud of, just pure stubbornness on my part.  If Doris hasn't shifted off tomorrow, I will be taking the bus.

no I think I mis-read someone's post as one more day to go, but it actually said one day in!  So think we are all coming in at staggered stages in next two weeks.

So far so good on the Rads.  Don't know if next week will be more challenging. As I have always said I will listen to my body etc.

interesting this morning, I felt the radiographer had a bit more time as I was first in, and struck up a bit of a conversation.  Did you know they take a picture of our target site every day and line it up with the CT scan?  Thought that was fascinating, the precision is amazing.  Had a lovely student today as well,  I think someone said below what great treatment they have had, and I must add mine too has been truly amazing.

best wishes to all.

xxxxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Patriciamay

oooh please let me know who they are so that I can make sure that I do it.  I know your finishing date, got swampys and windswept, who else is there, I will add them to my list now.

I cant believe that you cycled this morning, surprised you didnt get blown off your bike 🙂

How are they going

Helena xxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Windswept

The headachey feeling could be dehydration from the radiotherapy, are you taking in enough fluids, they told me to drink at least 2 litres more a day.  I would say that the travelling daily is not helping either, BUT you are sooooo nearly there and we will be ringing the bells for you on Tuesday 🙂

Loving the sound of your positivity.  I felt the same as you, I am so lucky caught early and it had not spread.

Helena xx

Patriciamay

Crikeyola Bells... not Ella....
Patriciamay

Oops sorry as you were.  It's Katkinblue already passed through.  So no Ella tomorrow (I don't think).

xxxx

Patriciamay

Hi windswept I would echo what runningmum has said.  I'm on my 5th week of letrozole and have had minimal side effects, so if it continues as it is so far I can live with this.  

I shall be 2/3rds of the way down tomorrow or 10/15 or about 3/4 .   Have to say rather regretted cycling this morning, so will be reviewing the situation in the morning.🚴🏻🌬🌬🏃🏼‍♀️

think we have some more bells required for our team members tomorrow  LadyB!  

RunningMum13

Hi Windswept!

Glad to hear all going well for you. Try not to worry too much about the hormone treatment, I'm a month in and taking Tamoxifen, so far so good. I haven't noticed any side effects as yet, I suspected I was starting with the menopause some months back now, as I get very warm at night and taking the tablets hasn't made this any worse. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

I'm due to finish my treatment on 1st March, counting down now.xx

Windswept

Hello ladies, I am new to this forum but found lots of your comments very reassuring so thought I would just add my thanks and comments.  I am day 17 into radiotherapy, out of 20 total, so into my 5 day boosters.  I have a 3 hour round trip each day to hospital and only just now feeling weary and headachey but not sure if that's the driving each day or the treatment!   Up to now I have felt pretty good, but developing an itchy heat type rash.  I have been using aloe gel from day 1 immediately after treatment, and moisturising Aloe cream at night.  I am luckier than most as I didn't have Chemo, I am sure this is why I probably feel OK so far.  I have been taking one day at a time, ticking it off, and not thinking too far ahead ever since my diagnosis last August, seems to have worked for me.  Not really looking forward to the hormone treatment as having lots of hot flushes before I've even started that and not sure what to expect from 5 years of hormone treatment, but I am constantly reminding myself I have been very lucky to catch this before it spread.  I had an excellent surgeon and the whole hospital team have been awesome.  Best wishes to you all x

RunningMum13

Great news, congratulations! x
Katkinblue

Thanks Helena. Just got back and celebrating later xxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Blueleyla

Sorry I cant help on that one, I havent really noticed any difference xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

swampy

Oh you are being a bit busy, be kind to yourself and pace yourself xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Katkinblue

Not sure what time your session is but ringing the bells for you anyway today.  Make sure you carry on with the moisturising etc for the next two weeks as the effects will continue, drink plenty of fluid and rest as you need to xx

bell.jpg

Helena xxx

rach1b70

Day 2 done, 21 to go. I am feeling tired at the moment, but I think that is the emotional build up to this point.

I am religiously plastering the cream on, so hoping for no soreness.

Hope everyone else is ok x 💕💕
Blueleyla

Hi swampy

likewise 5 down and 10 more to go. My appointment today is 5.40, will have to be a quick dinner as I am going to the cinema with some friends.

Are there any ladies who have finished rads who can give me advice? My bras are now tight, does everything go back to its normal size or do I have to go out and buy new bras?  Currently have a bra extension and still tight (they were fine before I started rads). When possible I am going bra less, never been well endowed in that department so not causing any major problems

swampy1901

Well five treatments down - ten to go!! I have a day off today as the machine is due a service!! So technically no early start for me today - I still woke up early so got up and am now lounging around the house thinking about what jobs to do.

The hoover is still out from yesterday - I managed to the whole of the upstairs yesterday before I collapsed in to my armchair. Wiped out!! I need my duracell bunny batteries back before I start downstairs!!!Cat Wink

Hugs

Kimjane

Hi ladies .... today is my 4th session and so far no problems with skin.  I use E45 and Diprobase which pharmacist recommended and radio staff agreed.  I put on two layers in the morning, again after being zapped (all my appointments early morning) and then again about 6pm.  I probably am obsessive but many years ago during pregnancy I used cream obsessively and had no stretch marks so using same principle ... silly I know but that's me 😀

Katkinblue

Final session todaySmiley Very Happy

RunningMum13

Just tried the cooling gel dressing, nice at first but very quickly heats up to body temperature. Maybe I'm just 'hot stuff', more likely it's my age! Oh well, onwards & upwards... I can't complain really.xx

Blueleyla

When I asked the nurse at my hospital what was best to use she said they were no longer able to advise me! However she went on to say that if she were in my position she would use aqueous cream. The radiographer ask me each day how I am and if I am having any problems and they can obviously see the breast skin. I have had 5 treatments so am a third of the way through. So far all appointments have been on time, long may it continue.

Hope all you other ladies are doing ok

Patriciamay

Ditto re. How is the advice so different?

Now I think you need to ignore what I am going to say.  Had nurse review today.  Oh no she says  don't use aquaeous cream only suitable for washing with!

Ok tbh I only bought it because I was rushing and went into a very strange chemist who did not have any E45 which is what I would have gone for, so I just picked up the aquaeous as I was in a rush.

she did recommend the aloe Vera and sent me off with two tubes of the hospital preferred cream.

xxxxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

rach

Its amazing I know exactly what you mean, it is weird.  So glad it is going well for you, keep it up xxx