1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

February 2017 Radiotherapy

rach1b70

Re: February 2017 Radiotherapy

How are hospitals so different. I have been told twice a day moisturising, they will monitor my skin at the end of each week and up it if necessary.

Hope you are ok too xxxx
RunningMum13

Hi rach,

Hope all went well today.

Enquired about moisturizing today but the nurse advised me not to but gave me some cooling gel dressings to use, I'll be trying them out shortly and will report back.x

rach1b70

It all went Absolutely fine. I felt weird as I felt absolutely nothing at all and wondered if they were actually doing anything or just making me lay on a cold bed with my arms in the air and boobs exposed while laughing behind a screen !!!! 😳😳.

In all seriousness, the radiographers were amazing and so caring. I feel confident in their hands and the anxiety I had before the appointment was alleviated by there empathetic manner.

Hope everyone else is ok and bearing up xx💕💕💕💕
ladybowler
Community Champion

Taz

The underarm affected me as well, when I asked about it because I was not having treatment there, the radiographer explained it was the angle at which the beam was positioned that it would catch there as well.  When you look at your breast you should see a direct line across to the underarm, or at least it did with me so nothing to worry about but just make sure you put the E45 on there as well.  One thing they told me was to keep the E45 in the fridge to keep it cool which will help.

Re your boss, perhaps show him the booklet on radiotherapy which states about it carrying on for two weeks post finishing.

Taz  they told me it would get worse before it gets better in those two weeks but honestly it really does get better.  I am 5 weeks post finishing, even my booster area has calmed down and the "tanned" effect is fading rapidly.

Helena xxx

Taz123

Strange how all the advice differs between hospitals isn't it

Hope it goes well tomorrow Rach xx
rach1b70

Hi Taz

My oncologist has said 4 1/2 weeks of rads then tamoxifen. He seems to think I will need 6 weeks off post rads to let my body adjust. Not sure yet how much I will take, as I can work from home. Day 1 tomorrow, so time will tell.

Take care xxxx
Taz123

I wasn't given anything at the hospital, I went and bought E45 as I couldn't find any aqueous cream. 4 days finished now and I'm showing signs of still cooking, my underarm is very dark and that area wasn't treated at all last week. I worked from home again today, yesterday at work I felt dreadful all morning. My boss is a nice enough chap but seems to think all should be OK now I've finished rads, although I mentioned twice that they carry on working afterwards ...
ladybowler
Community Champion

rach

Good luck tomorrow, not that you will need it at all, the good thing is it is starting and itwill not be long until you are at number 23,moisturise, drink plenty of fluid and get plenty of rest, this is really doable xxxx

rach1b70

Day 1 of 23 for me tomorrow. I have been given aveeno oatmeal cream from my hospital.

Looking forward to getting started now.

Hugs to you all xx
Blueleyla

Hi ladies

i was told to moisturise night and morning. I have a tub of aqueous cream so not really possible to take it to the hospital but I might start doing it as soon as I get home as well as night and morning. Each hospital seems to offer different advice. Glad everyone seems to be doing ok so far

RunningMum13

Hi ladies,

Looks like we're all underway with our treatment now 🙂

The advice on moisturizing really seems to vary between hospitals. I was just given aqueous cream to use to wash/shower with, no other moisturizing needed. So far so good, I've just passed the halfway mark now though and skin starting to feel a little more tender, would love to be able to use my cooling aloe vera gel! Might enquire tomorrow.

Sleep well everyone.x

Patriciamay

Hi there

Sswampy im  interested in that picture, I think I might ask tomorrow as would like to see that what they are focussing on. I really don't know.

in terms of when to moisturise, I have been doing immediately after in the changing area.  There are 4 machines at my hospital with two changing rooms attached to each room,.

i then repeat again in the evening and again in the morning,  I don't know if that is too much or too little, but so far so good. Xxx

swampy1901

I did (but when I got home - there isn't really the facilities in my treatment room and I'm so conscious of how busy they are that I don't like to hold things up for them!) - but when I checked with the radiographers the next day they said I was right to do so from the first treatment.

I'm beginning to notice the temperature difference between my boobs and using E45 Intense Recovery has been soothing and cooling. Overnight the hotness went away but soon came back after todays' session Cat Frustrated I can see why they say you carry on cooking for a week or two after the regime is finished - in my ignorance I thought it would take quite a while before I felt anything!! Wrong!!!

My reconstructed boob is also feeling uncomfortable at times but I'm massaging that with the methods shown to me by the wonderful therapist who has done all my complementary therapies at the local hospice. Cat Happy along with lots of E45.

I did ask the radiographers where I should be applying the E45 as I'm being treated for the whole breast as well the axillary area - they actually showed me a picture of myself with the shaded areas showing the whole area being treated. Now I know what I'm doing lol!! Four sessions down - eleven to go!!

Hugs

7oanne

Hi everyone,

Glad to hear everyone's doing well, can I ask a question do you put the cream on straight away at hospital after rads or when you get home???

big hugs jo

Kimjane

Day 2 complete ... 17 more to go 😀  Hope everyone is doing well x

Blueleyla

Hi everyone

Hope all your treatment is going well. Just done day 4 and am aware of my boob, radiologist suggested I go bra less so am going to try that. Feel very adventurous!

Patriciamay

Hi, LadyB although I have not signed off work I am taking it easier, sat on a bench outside St Paul's last week, just because........

Hope  everyone has a zombie free, un-sore boob day today.   Xxxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Taz

I found that similarly, especially in the evening for those two weeks after finishing and it seemed to increase over that period, I was applying the E45 twice in the evening, especialy where some of my moles were very dry but now 4 weeks post rads everything has settled down, I am using my normal body lotion and the itching/dryness appears to have stopped.

Helena xx

Taz123

Glad to hear those who've just started are doing OK ☺ I'm finding I need more E45 now I've finished, especially in the evening - I seem to get more itchy then
ladybowler
Community Champion

Patriciamay

Yay good to hear that you are looking after yourself xx

Patriciamay

Good stuff, sounds like it all went smoothly kimjane.  Xxx.  I have built in a cheeky little lunch tomorrow. I would never do that usually, just part of the new me taking things easy.😎

ladybowler
Community Champion

Kimjane

Yay first one done, remember to drink plenty of fluid as well xxx

Kimjane

Just back from first radiotherapy session ...what a relief all good ... finish on 16 March!  Plastered in E45 now😀

Patriciamay

Hi Blue

hope next weeks goes ok and the shoulder doesn't start mis-behaving again.  it's been great to have a break the weekend.  

Back on it on Monday crew.  Xxx

Blueleyla

Hi lisad

i have been taking Letrozole for a month and so far I am reasonably ok. Someone on this forum suggested keeping a diary of any side effects so you have some ammunition in case you have to go back to the doctor.

Blueleyla

Hi rach

i started my rads on Thursday so 2 done so far. I have problems with my shoulder and found having my arm above my head was painful but manageable. I have made an appointment with my physiotherapist for Thursday and miraculously the shoulder seems better. Still I am going to keep the appointment as I am sure it will help.  I am trying to drink 2 litres of water but that seems an awful lot but will preserve.  So far my appointments have kept to tomecso here's hoping the rest do as well

ladybowler
Community Champion

rach

That sounds like a good idea the less stress the better.  My work was half way between and I would have passed it on the way to the apt so it was a no brainer for me in that respect.

I was ok,I got more upset because I had so many delays to my appointment times when I got there which did not help, on one occasion it was 2/5 hours late which I did not handle very well and they knew about it!!

The actual working and rads itself were not a problem to me,  I made sure I drank plenty of water during the day. I took my E45 with me and when I was get dressed again afterwards I put it on so that it was cooling and moisturising straight away.  I did find about 3 weeks into it that I would be sitting at home in the late afternoon early evening and suddenly my shoulders would go very heavy and my arms, the next thing I would be asleep for about 10/15 mins, I would wake up and then be ok.  I had 20 sessions in all

Helena xxx

rach1b70

Hi Helena.

My rads are at midday. I was planning on working from home as it's in the opposite direction and did not want the extra stress.

How did you find working through yours ?

Rachel. Xx
rach1b70

I was given my cream by the hospital. I am not allowed to use anything else. It's AVEENO Oatmeal cream. Not sure why. Check with the Radiologists when you start.

Good luck to you too. Xx
ladybowler
Community Champion

rachel and kimjane

Make sure you drink plenty of fluids ( they say 2 litres more a day than you normally drink) this is to help with the dehydration that the radiotherapy might cause and the fatigue which you might get if you are dehydrated.

Hydrate your breast twice a day with the moisturiser that your rads team recommend.  They will keep an eye on your breast to check for any problems and will advice you accordingly.  Each hospital appears to be different in advising on shaving, deoderant, perfume etc

Get plenty of rest, you need to take into account travelling to and from the hospital each day, it takes its toll so be aware of it.  I underestimated how it would affect me because I was thinking of how long it would take in normal traffic but several times because of delays in apts I met rush hour traffic driving home.  If you find you are struggling enlist the services of friends/family/local charity volunteer drivers/hospital patient transport although this can mean you are out of the house longer.

They advised me that whenever possible to go without a bra so that air can get to the breast especially the fold underneath.  My friend bought me a lovely M&S cotton vest bra top which I used to wear and it was brilliant, I know  a lot of the other ladies who were at the same time as me and after were buying them as well.

I arranged my rad times on the 3 days I was work so that I went straight after work as I was halfway there which really helped

Hope this helps, if there is anything else I can help with just let me know.

Helena xxx

Kimjane

Hi Rach ... looks like we will start together as mine delayed so starting Monday until 16 March😀  Today I bought some Diprobase from chemist on pharmacists recommendation, so hope this is ok x

rach1b70

Looks
Like I am joining this group on Wednesday. Starting 23 sessions of radiotherapy. 15 standard and 8 booster sessions, any advice gratefully received.

Take care lovely ladies xx💕
lisad

Hi Jo

Thanks for the message. Yes had 3 out 15 all Ok, as you feel nothing you do wonder if anything is actually happening Woman LOL

I am only using 99% Aloe gel from Holland & Barrett as this was recommend somewhere on the forum and I bought one and got another one for a penny Woman Very Happy

I not allergic to cream. so I can use any. I will see how using the Aloe goes if not effective after a batch of treatments then might have to change. Feeling a little bit sore but no other effects as yet but still have another 12 to go!

I have a niggling pain just below my shoulder and on the same side as I had my mastectomy and lump nodes taken and of course your mind goes into overdrive thinking it might be something else! I am not going to panic to much I am just sure it is arthritis, although whilst I suffer with this I have never had it in my shoulder.

Started my course of Letzrole last night really do not want to take this, will be interesting in the months to come if I experience any side effects from itWoman Frustrated

ladybowler
Community Champion

Taz

Just be careful and remember you are covered by the Equality Act 2010, so they have to make reasonable adjustments for you xxx

Taz123

I know Helena, but I will have to show willing and go into work on Monday and take it from there - I only made it in on Tuesday this last week
ladybowler
Community Champion

taz

Now you need to take care of yourself the next couple of weeks, this is where you carry on "cooking" as they say for two weeks.  Be aware of the fatigue and make sure you get plenty of rest as well xxxxx

Taz123

Thank you all xxx

It's lovely to have finished but I'll still be keeping up with you all

ladybowler
Community Champion

Taz

Whoop whoop whoop bunting is out and those bells are ringing for you, been out and rung my doorbell, flip its a bit chilly out there but worth it 🙂 🙂 xxx

bell.jpg

Patriciamay

Wonderful Taz - do some living. Xxx

Blueleyla

Congratulations on the end of your radiotherapy. So pleased for you

Taz123

All done Smiley Happy

Follow up appointment is on 31 March and then another mammogram in June, so now I can attempt to get back to normal for a while at least Cat Happy

By the way I was told that changes in breast density can occur for up to a year and are usually quite normal

RunningMum13

Congratulations on the end of your treatment Taz! I'll listen out for the bells.

At St James's in Leeds where I am they actually have a bell for patients to ring in reception to mark the end of their treatment. Such a great idea!

I'm halfway through now, yippee! Next session on my birthday on Monday, but hey ho what can you do??

Hugs to all, especially those soon to start.xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Taz

Yay you are finished rads today, not sure what time your appointment is at so let us know so that we can ring them there bells for you.

Helena xxx

Patriciamay

Rock on to you Taz what a great feeling.

Its interesting you mentioned about a lady who can't keep still because I was thinking about that very thing.  Was thinking about those with various neuro conditions that result in tics etc. I wondered if they had to resort to sedating them, but can't imagine that is doable on a daily basis.

I am feeling very positive for us all.   Have a good day 🚴🏽‍♀️🚴🏻🚴🏻

Taz123

19 down and 1 to go ☺

I get twinges and the occasional stabbing pain swampy so I wouldn't worry

Sorry yours were delayed kimjane. For the first 3 weeks of mine there was only one machine working and there were usually delays of up to an hour - especially with one lady who was unable to keep still

I've only used E45 so far. They told me today that some ladies find silk scarves next to the skin help, or just lying on the bed topless for a while to let the air circulate - might work for some?
Blueleyla

Hi

I had a picture of a fir tree with one pine cone and a lovely blue sky. Also music playing and was told I could request  music or even bring in a CD if I wanted. Don't think I will bother, hoping not to be in there long enough! One down. 14 more to go, at least I will have the weekend off before I have 5 consecutive days.

Patriciamay

Hi

kmjane that is the most rotten luck.  We get ourselves psyched up and organised I hope it doesn't happen again.  

Good to hear we're more or less all starters.  Definitely chilly today. I must ask about support services because i don't seem to be offered anything I wonder if I should ask.

had a different room today looking up at the ceiling was a star constellation with names of band members from the 70's rock group  Deep purple - what's that about?!

Was thinking of you all today when I was laying there and I kind of had a little tear knowing we are all doing the same thing.

ladybowler
Community Champion

swampy

the twinges could be the nerve ending still healing

Kimjane

Well done Swampy and Blue .... should be with you but mine cancelled see post below ... catch up soon😀

Blueleyla

Hi everyone

Also just had my first appointment. I was there for about an hour in all as we arrived early. Had a chat with the radiographer and then had treatment. Yes swampy1901 I thought it was chilly in there. Back again tomorrow , I will finish on 9 march and have been given my follow up appointment 2 weeks later. Also I have been offered a breast care support session when a physiotherapist , radiographer and a lymphoedema nurse talk to you so am going to try and book a place when I am there tomorrow.  Worst part was having my arms above my head, I have problems with my shoulder and can feel an appointment with the physiotherapist coming on