cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

February 2017 Radiotherapy

swampy1901

Re: February 2017 Radiotherapy

Hi Everyone

First Rads done and dusted this morning!! All my treatments should be complete by 9th March.

Bit chilly in the machine room though and it took a little longer because they wanted to do a couple of x-rays to check I was in the correct position. So all in all around 30 minutes - by the end I was starting to shiver - I know they need to keep the machines cool but still...............Cat Surprised

I did notice a couple of twinges in the treated area when I got home - is that normal?

Hugs

ladybowler
Community Champion

Kimjane

If flip what a pain, mind you on the positive side at least they rang you and it wasnt left for you to turn up and find out they could not do it.  Try and forget about it for the weekend now, honestly they are not painful at all and you are literally only in the apt for 15 mins max after the first one and if you are having boosters it is even quicker xx

Kimjane

After a sleepless night being anxious about starting rads today, I have just received a call to say machine broken and rads cancelled ... now starting on Monday. .... I know it can't be helped but what a pain!  Means I will finish on 16 March just two days before we go on holiday.

7oanne

Hi Lisad,

Hope that the rads go well for you, are you using the Aloe gel on its own ? No other cream ? as I'm allergic to other creams that have been suggested this might be an alternative. 😊

Big hugs Jo x

lisad

Thanks Patricia, hope all goes well with your treatment also. x
Patriciamay

Hi 

Kimjane fingers crossed for you that it is all straight forward xx

Lisa, i know what you mean.  I find the whole diagnosis and treatment process confusing.  How am I supposed to feel, and how am I supposed to look.  I have never been fitter, I think there needs to be more definition around bc and the types that are treated, it just isn't understood in the general population and that is an issue I think.  I'm a way  behind you still trying to get my head round it all.  Hope you find the rads an easier stretch?  Xxxx

Blueleyla

Thank yyou patriciamay , first one tomorrow at 2 pm and then most of them 3.20 until march 8. Thinking of you Kimjane and lisad. Hope I haven't forgotten anyone

lisad

Went for my first rads today, painless did not feel as if anything was happening, only time will tell over the coming weeksWoman LOL

I bought 100% Aloe gel to put on twice a day so hopefully the effects of the radiation and burning feeling will be minimal.

Like many of you I was diagnosed last June when I found a lump had two biopsies follow by a mastectomy & reconstruction. As many have said, everything thing happens so quickly and you a swept away with operations and chemo and then radiation and more hospital apts that it is hard to take everything in.

I think I have know come to terms as to what has happened and how I have coped with the changes to me physically but it took 6 months before I could feel this way, although a looking in the mirror everyday shows me every day the battle I have been through.

Everyone has told me how well I look! but they do not realise that you are putting on a brave face and brush it off, so many women are diagnosed with breast cancer every day now that it does make you feel like you just had a dose of flu and therefore play it down !Woman LOL

Kimjane

Thank you for that Patricia ... first rads at 4pm ... then early morning until 14 March ... scary!

Patriciamay

Hello team.

just popping in to say hope all goes well for our new starters tomorrow, think that's kimjane and blue? Hope I haven't forgotten anyone.

i will be thinking of our team when I sit in the waiting rom at 8.50 tomorrow folks know that somewhere in the country we are all doing the same thing.  Xxxx

RunningMum13

Hi PatriciaMay,

You're certainly not alone with these thoughts. I was invited for an early mammogram as part of a trial in my area. Attended without a thought and all of a sudden the carpet was pulled from under me with the diagnosis. I've always been fit and well and really struggled to get my head around it, and also with the speed of events. I'm really lucky that it was picked up early and that my surgery was a lumpectomy & SNB with follow up rads, 5th one today. I keep feel like it's happening to someone else at times and almost feel like a fraud as I don't feel ill.

It's bound to take time for all of us to come to terms with what's happened, especially you ladies who have had major surgery. Life events like this make you take stock and your perspective on life shifts a little.

Sending love & hugs to you all.xx

Patriciamay

Morning all

i have just read everyone's comments, it's so good to know I'm not alone in having these thoughts.  I did actually asked my surgeon right at the beginning if I really needed an operation, she look a bit shocked!  My Daughter actually said to me (in the early days) "I thought you were indestructible".  

Yes let's look forward, spring is nearly here!

i have an early appointment today 8.50.  I am really enjoying my extra exercise, cycle to my office, pop on the train, then power walk from St Paul's to St Barts, so far I can do it.  When the zombie phase kicks in. I will get a sedan chair!

have a great day,

xxxx

Taz123

Helena I think it does make you re-evaluate and puts many things into perspective, but the process takes so long it's only when you reach the wnd of treatment that you remember how you felt when first diagnosed as there's been so much going on

Swampy my experience has been that people want to be nice and sympathetic but they just don't understand/don't know what to say/feel awkward asking/stop asking in case they upset you (or maybe they've just forgotten!)
swampy1901

Hi everyone

Blueleyla - I've never had a serious illness in my life and the whole saga from the original breast screening, to call back, to biopsies, to being told my diagnosis and then seeing surgeons and oncologists - has been like standing on the outside looking in and watching it all happen to someone else!!

Ladybowler and patriciamay - I was at a funeral yesterday and after the service the bereaved wife came over to talk to me and she was just so kind - it made me cry (not hard when your eyes are streaming anyway because of SEs!).

In fact whenever people are kind - I actually find it hard because they are being so nice and I feel a bit of a fraud at times. I start my radiotherapy on Thursday and this in turn has made me think about my return to work. At times I'm raring to go back and then at other times I'm worried in case I'm mentally not ready to go back.

As you will all have been aware - people think you are amazing for going through everything that you have but once things start happening you just go along with everything - appointments are made and you trot along - none of it is conscious decisions that you have made. You take everything on the chin and put a brave face on and then in quiet moments or just randomly - you are in tears. It's not conscious it just happens!!

It's at times like that when I think what happened if I did that back at work? The hospice group tomorrow has someone coming in to talk about moving on after cancer which I'm going to and I want to attend one of these week long courses but so far in my area they all seem to happening long after my possible planned return to work so I may need to talk to HR and ask if this can be considered a reasonable adjustment or concession in my return to work along with any future appointments as I will yet need a revision of my tummy scar and possible follow up mastopexy - just when things are settling down - it seems it will all start again!!

I took my first Tamoxifen today and I've had two hot flashes today already - what's that all about? Give us a chance to start taking the blooming things before you throw up yet more things to deal with!!

Maybe I'm in denial too!! 

Hugs

ladybowler
Community Champion

Taz

Yay roll on Friday for another bell ringing and celebration.

Totally makes sense and I think we all feel, have and will feel that way.  I dont think it is denial I think it is possibly the time that we now need to come to terms with the reality of what has happened to us and that will take time.  Perhaps some of the ladies who are further down the line than us might be able to give us some words of wisdom.

I know personally, I also have had a reality check in that what is important to me then is not now, my priorities have changed, what I used to worry about before has just paled into insignificance and I appreciate oh so much more what I have

Oh dear that sounds rather deep xxx

Taz123

I finish on Friday, Helena ☺

I also find it hard to believe this is real, obviously I have the scars and the tablets and the side effects but I somehow don't feel as if I have cancer, does that make sense? Maybe I'm just in denial
Blueleyla

Hi patriciamay like you I have never been ill and it comes as a shock to discover you are not as invincible as you thought you were. There are times when I don't believe it is happening to me. I start radiotherapy on Thursday and am focusing on the end date

ladybowler
Community Champion

Patriciamay

Its funny I was on the phone to someone today who was asking after me, a gentleman who I havent spoken to him since I was diagnosed, and he asked how I was doing, I said sometimes I just stop and think did this really happen to me and then I look at my scars and realise it did, it feels surreal.

I think it is harder for someone who has never been ill or had anything wrong with them, I know like with Colin he has always been well never went to the docs, then just like that he is diagnosed with MS he has had a difficult time adjusting to his diagnosis.

Sending you a lovely hug xxxx

Patriciamay

Hi LadyB. Thanks for asking.

Yes as below,  not quite sure what I am experiencing here,  I'm ok, I just sit in the waiting room (which is never for long) and I am saying to myself "what am I doing here"?  How did this happen?

I've never been ill, not sure what I think.  Any thoughts?

Patriciamay

Thanks kimjane. Your off this week aren't you?  All is going well, but I find it tough being a patient.  I am trying to get my head round this.  I guess if you think about it, if you have a lumpectomy your in and out few hospital appointments etc.,  but this is different.  Got to think this through a bit.  That said everyone is fabulous and my appointments are working well.

Weve got a lot of starters this week. - all the best to everyone.   Xxxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Hello ladies

Well I think I have finally sorted out my broadband problems out so hopefully it will stay 🙂

Patriciamay - how did today go.

Kimjane - good luck for Thursday it will be over before your know it 🙂

Taz when do you finish yours x

Trying to catch up with all the missed threads so to everyone else, hi hope you are all doing well and sending everyone hugs xxxx

Kimjane

Welcome back Patricia ..lovely to see you again...I hope rads going well x
Kimjane

Morning ladies

I am starting Letrozole and Adcal today and then rads Thursday, so quite a progressive week!  I just hope Letrozole doesn't Have too many effects!  Along with vitamin tablets ... think I am going to rattle!

lisad

Thank you for your replies ladies.  I guess I will have to start to take Letrozole Woman Frustrated 

I am also on 3 tablets a day for my BP, Taz and I am also 4 tablets a day for Vitam D, I am sure I will rattle & rollWoman Very Happy 

Patriciamay

Hi

yes I am expecting the zombie effect so not anticipating keeping up my current pace.  I am going for a blood test this  mornng (only routine). I thought I would treat myself and go to two medical buildings today just because I'm daring like that......have a good day, and for those of you who it is important hope you get millions of cards. Xx

Taz123

I've been on Letrozole since July and had bad dreams for a while but I never knew whether they were caused by the Letrozole or the other 3 drugs they put me on for my bp 😕

I've been driving nearly 3 hours a day for the first 3 weeks of rads (I go for the rads on my way home) and was OK until last Friday when I felt like a zombie all day
Sue C
Community Champion

Hi lisa

I take letrezole at night because I was experiencing nausea during the day and that has really helped. You probably won't get any other side effects for a while as it takes about 6 weeks to kick in.

Sue x

lisad

Thanks for the replies ladies.

I will drive myself to the apts and then  see how I feel the 3rd week.

So it is best to take Letrezole at night before bed - any reason why?  Does it reduce the side effects?

There is mention on this thread of http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/25005  is this the same has having Bisphosphonates -http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/cancers-in-general/treatment/cancer-drugs/zoledronic-ac... which is what I am having by injection every 6 months for 3 years.

Many thanks

rubycat

You're welcome Blueleyla. It was good to hear another doc say the same thing as mine.Cat Very Happyxxx

Patriciamay

Thanks Blue for explaining that.  I had my bone density scan this morning, so will have to wait and see what they say about that.  I don't blame you for checking etc. i think it's best we manage our own health, as we know what is gong on in our bodies and have the full picture.

i hope the emotional bit subsides for you.  I think people have said this on the forum it can take 3-6 months to settle.  Xxxx

Blueleyla

Hi patriciamay

i also had had some vivid dreams in the first week, enough to wake me up but they seem to have disappeared 

Blueleyla

Hi patriciamay. Rubycat and Lesley and anyone else I have missed who replied to my panic at the weekend regarding the calceos tablets. I was very concerned about the sentence on the leaflet that prolonged use ie more than 2 weeks caused damage to your teeth. Mine are already filled and have crowns so really want to hang on to them for a bit longer. Following advice on this forum that quite a few ladies had adcal and seemed to tolerate this I made another appointment at the doctor S and said i didn't want the calceos and asked for another prescription for the adcal which I have now got. Also asked about the 2hour wait each side to have a cup of tea and she said she didn't know anyone who observed that. So feeling a lot happier this evening. Will take the advice given here and clean my teeth after taking them.

re mood swings she suggested I phone the breast care nurse so plan to do that this week , hopefully she can let me know if they will calm down or whether I am stuck with them for the next five years.

Blueleyla

Hi Lisad 

i think my husband will drive me most days but if he isn't available hope to drive myself. I am lucky on that the hospital is about a 20 minute drive away and so far parking hasn't been an issue. My appointments are all in the afternoon bar one so I will have the morning to myself

EJM60

Hello Lisad - I drove myself most days to my radiotherapy, but did find towards the end I was too tired - it was between 40 mins and an hour each way and I'm not used to driving those distances. I realised I had done too much the day I couldn't remember driving home for part of the journey! I finished 20 sessions on Friday and the fatigue has kicked in along with the soreness, but the four weeks went so quickly.
Jane
ladybowler
Community Champion

Patriciamay

Ha ha great minds :0

Yep I did it 8 hours straight off and i didnt fall asleep.  Going to sort out some dinner now though starving xxxx

Patriciamay

Ladies sorry I had been away having a melt down what's this about teeth?  Is there something I should be doing?

ladybowler
Community Champion

Lisad

I drove myself to my rads appointments.  I had 20 in all.  The journey was usually about 20 minutes each way, dependent on traffic.  I think as long as you feel up to it fine but you will know you just need to listen to your body and if you are in any way tired then perhaps call on friends/family to drive you to give you a break.

Helena xxx

Patriciamay

Helena

you are psychic!  That is exactly what I have just said in my other post, I think it was the big gap, it's like coming to terms with it all over again.  Water on board, hot bath and feet up.

i hope you was ok today and not too knackered.  Best wishes. Xxxx

Patriciamay

Hi Lisad

If you feel ok with driving can't see why not. I told the radiotherapist I would be cycling on most days and they didn't bat an eyelid.  What they said was "listen to your body" so that's what I will do, go on the train some days etc.  With regard to Letrozole I have been taking for 4 weeks.  I take it at night which is a tip I got from this forum.  So far very minimal side effects.  I have loss of appetite (hurrah), definitely a bit of a tummy, but that has settled down now.  My joints ache a bit anyway, but if anything I think they are better as I have lost weight.  I know I mentioned in my previous post being a bit emotional today, but I really don't think that is the letrozole, I put that down to having a bit of a gap between surgery and my treatment.

one last thing when I first took it I had vivid dreams for about 3 days.  Not listed as a side effect, but others have mentioned on forum.  I was worried at first, but thought give it a go, and I would say is fine so far.  Xxxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Patriciamay

Way to go girl 🙂  It could be the relief of finally starting rads because you had been waiting for so long xx  Make sure you frink plenty of fluids (2 litres more a day), moisturise and get a good amount of rest.

The time will go before you know it and we will be ringing those bells and putting the bunting up for you.

So pleased for you

Helena xxx

Patriciamay

Hi all

well I had my first session today and have all my appointments booked going forward.  Everything seemed very straightforward, lovely staff etc.  One thing,  I got back to work and I suddenly felt very emotional.  I think it's the enormity of having to have treatment for three weeks, I kind of feel it's a re-enforcement that I have had this........ and I don't want to know about it.  The actual treatment nothing to worry about.  Best wishes to all.  I'll let you know progress tomorrow. Xxx

Optimissy64

Hi Lisad

I was fine to drive myself there and back - just leave plenty of time to park so you don't get stressed if there isn't an immediate space . I used one of the little heart-shaped pillows the BC nurse gives you to put between me and the seat-belt but wan't especially sore so didn't really need it. Took the train and bus on three occasions when my appointment time was evening (my times were all over the place - different times every day) as I didn't fancy driving in the dark and rush-hour if tired, as am 64 and eyes not so good at night driving now. See how it goes for the first few times and if it doesn't work for you you can always gets lifts for sessions towards the end.

Re Ladycare Magnet: I'm 3 days into Anastrozole so obviously no side effects YET - however, I bought one of these Ladycare magnets to stick in my knickers the first sign of a hot flush, having read that they help symptoms of menopause, including ones brought on by hormone meds. However, I might check it out with the onc next time i see them, as if these things DO work, I don't want them negating the effects of the anti-oestrogen meds and helping me to make more oestrogen.....Sigh......

Good luck with the rads on Wednesday. I finished 15 sessions last Friday and no side effects as yet - worst thing is flogging up to the hospital every day - gets a bit tedious.

lisad

I start my 15 radiation sessions on Wednesday and the car journey to Maidstone hospital is 40 minutes each way.

Is there any reason why I cannot drive myself to these appts?  My partner seess think that i should not be driving whilst having treatment?  I can understand maybe the 3rd week due to tiredness but not at the start of treatment/  What is people's view on this??

Blueleyla - I have also been described Letrozle but have not started yet  - really concerned about how this drug will affect moods swings, joint pain and any weight gain!

If it affect your mood swings - my partner is not the best at coping with these!Woman Sad 

Would this help with the effects of Letrozle? 

https://www.ladycare-uk.com/?gclid=COPa7ZG1jdICFbgy0wodvTsL1w

I am 62 so post menopausal

Blueleyla

Hi chelseagirl65

i start my rads on Thursday ,first of 15. I was prescribed Letrozole the last time I had an appointment so have been taking them for a month. The mood swings have really kicked in the last few days and I can burst into tears at the slightest thing going wrong. Hoping this will eventually calm down.

Good luck for tomorrow 

chelseagirl65

I start my Radiotherapy tomorrow ~ first session of 15!!!... little apprehensive but I guess it should be fine.  Everyone at Royal Marsden are brill too!  Very helpful.  I have been told I am going to be taking Tamoxifen, would this be after the Rads, during??  Guess I should ask them tomorrow  🙂

Taz123

As long as he's happy blueleyla that's the main thing xx (we have 6 cats and 3 dogs so also know what it's like)
Blueleyla

Thanks rubycat it was the tea I was concerned about as I am not in the habit of having spinach and rhubarb for breakfast. I am definitely going to speak to the pharmacist to,orrow and try and get an appointment with a doctor and see if they will change the prescription to adcal rather than calceos. Thank you for the cuddles for our cat, he is 16 years old 17 in February and is now an indoor cat, he has lost a lot of weight  but still seems happy. We give him lots of fuss.

rubycat

Hello Blueleyla, ah first of all special cuddles to your dear pussycat, which I forgot to say before. I'm a cat person and I know how much our special furry friends mean to us.

The Adcal info actually says 'this medicine should not be taken within 2 hours of eating foods rich in oxalic acid (eg spinach,rhubarb), phosphate (eg bran), or phytic acid (eg cereals). But both doc and dentist have told me not to worry what I eat/drink & to carry on as normal! Which I have as it was a real struggle finding 2 hour gaps before/after as everything I seemed to eat/drink fell into one of the categories.

Do have a word with your doc/dentist, but I do think many of us adcalers carry on regardless - perhaps they could hop on here and let us know!! Cat Very Happyxxx

Blueleyla

Hi rubycat that's a good tip to clean my teeth afterwards. Were you still able to have a cup of tea in the morning after taking the tablet or did you have to wait 2 hours? I always have a cup of tea at breakfast as I don't drink coffee. Certainly the adcal doesn't appear to be as bad as calceos according to the internet

rubycat

Blueleyla - I take 2 adcal d3 tablets daily, one in morning and one evening. On the leaflet it does say 'contains a small amount of sugar and may be harmful to the teeth if used for a prolonged period'. Docs do prescribe for 5 years, but I clean my teeth afterwards.  Think the once weekly is alendronic acid - my ma-in-law took that for osteoporosis - but there may be other tablets too.  Yes, can't really understand why I was prescribed anastrozole AFTER finding I had osteopenia, then shoved the adcal to counteract the anastrozole. Arrgh.

Taz, do hope you're ok with your scan.

Getting a bit fed up being told 'well, it's probably your age' .Making me feel well ancient at 63. Grumble, grumble, but glad to still be here. Cat Very Happyxxx