cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

February 2017 Radiotherapy

Blueleyla

Re: February 2017 Radiotherapy

Patriciamay

Hope all goes well for tomorrow and you get a start date. Will be thinking of you

Patriciamay

Hello all just popping in to say am going for my planning session tomorrow.   I almost feel excited about it, never thought I would say that! xxx. Hope everyone is coping ok.

Lady shooter

Hi too all , yes Boxing Day shooting is always fun , but just watched this year but good to be with friends , they just cheer you up .( a mans world so just told them what I have and moved on, they were all understanding)

if it's a reaction to letrozole there is another tablet ! But want me to continue for 2/3 months , today has been better talking to nurse puts your mind at rest so feeling calmer , just want to get to rads and try to move on with life ? I am 59   I am going to ask for a scan , just to be on safe side ? 60 this year, 

thanks for all your help it's much appreciated 

just off to baby sit my favourite little man x

Sue C
Community Champion

Hi lady shooter
I was given a bone scan after my lumpectomy due to the size of the lump and because it was grade 3.
Sue x
Blueleyla

Hi Lady Shooter

My surgeon has put me on Lestrozole and arranged for me to have a bone scan on Monday as appparently one of the many side effects of Lestrozole is bone thinning.  This way they can check the state of my bones now and again in a couple of years to see if my bones have deteriorated.  Even if I have the beginnings of osteoporosis i shall still have to take the Lestrozole but also a calcium tablet, I shall start to rattle soon. I am in my sixties so that might be why she recommended the scan. Hope that helps.

ladybowler
Community Champion

Dawn

Great that your bcn is going to have a look to check if there is an infection or not, have they said what can be done if it is a reaction to your letrozole?

I used to do clay pigeon shooting many years ago when I was married, we had a friend who had a farm in Pershore, really loved it, especially the Boxing Day get together it was really enjoyable.

One thing I am grateful is that my bc was dianosed right at the end of the bowls season last year so it did not impact on any of my comps and games, however the season start again mid April so I think I am going to have to get some serious practice in before they all start as I do not know how much it has impacted on my arm in that respect

Helena xx

Lady shooter

Does every one get a bone scan ? Only heard about this since joining forum ? Or does it depend on age , hospital ? Xx

Lady shooter

Have spoken BCN today she wants me to pop in to see if I have an infection ? But thinks it could just having a reaction to the letrozole after being on HRT for so long ! 

sorry to  hear you also have problems with being epileptic etc I had a cousin that safered with that, not nice at all.

just looked on packet it just says letrozole ! 

Dawn x

Lady shooter

Yes I am a clay shooter , but can't do that for a while , missing it , but at least it's winter , I guessed that bowling was your hobby 😊I might change my tablet time if I get a good nights sleep hot moments might be easier to cope with ? 

Dawn x

Katkinblue

Hi Lady shooter

The painful feeling will go with time, just carry on with the exercises they do help, I'm still getting the odd radom shooting pain and hoping that these will go eventually.

The hot flushes may be a reaction to you coming off the HRT after being on it for 21 yrs but best get checked with BCN as suggested.

I have been fortunate in not having any (yet) side effects since starting the Letrozole and I can honestly say I was vary wary about starting taking them. I stayed away from looking at the SE's because I have had many problems in taking medication. I was diagnosed Epileptic over 20 years ago and still haven't got a medication that I can take due to severe SE's, so I was over the moon in being able to take this without having to try anymore. What brand are you on?

Sandra xxx

Blueleyla

I'm feeling hungry but trying not to act on it too many times. Wouldn't mind a decrease in appetite, might help me loose a few pounds.

Patriciamay

Hiya, so far so good for us February Radiotherapy ladies.  I started letrozole 10 days ago and definitely am experiencing some mild low level side effects:  mild stomach  "awareness", thirsty, and reduced appetite - possibly shouldn't say this - but yay to the reduced appetite!  I also am taking at night, all bareable at the moment. Xxx

Blueleyla

I have been taking Letrozole for 2weeks.  I take it at night as I someone, possibly on the forum suggested it. I do sometimes feel dizzy and tired and today have about of an upset stomach, but not sure if this is the Letrozole or not. Judging by the list of side effects I think I can blame everything for the next 5 years on the tablet!

Katkinblue

Helena

Thank you for the advice I will have to look into it, They did tell me at the centre about patient transport but I don't really fancy staying at the centre for hours on end. We do have a bus that comes through the village every hour.

Sue C
Community Champion

Hi lady shooter

I'm not sure that the letrozole will be giving you these problems, as it normally takes about 6 weeks to kick in. I've been on it for just over 3 months and not had any problems with hot flushes, but do find it gives me mild , stiff and achy joints. Maybe need to give your body time to heal and adjust. Give your BC nurse a ring if worried.

Sue x

ladybowler
Community Champion

Lady Shooter

Hello and I am sure that the ladies on here who are on letrozole will be able to tell you their experiences. and perhaps suggest some ideas

I am on tamoxifen, I have been on it for 8 weeks now, I have had flushes, a couple of night sweats and in the first couple of weeks I was rather emotional, I could have cried easily, but I was not sure what was causing it as I was having radiotherapy at the same time.  I take my tablet in the morning as it work best for me then as I get my flushes about an hour later.

I do have to ask is your hobby shooting, the only reason I ask is my usename is because I play lawn green bowls.

Helena xx

Lady shooter

Hi everyone 

new to forum ! Got planning for rads on 7th Feb had op 21st Dec WLE and sentinel lymph node surgery, come off HRT after 21 yrs and been put on letrozole, been on this just over a week and woke up this morning feeling very tearful, have had hot flushes since coming off HRT in November , but now having really bad hot flushes all day today , also not sleeping very well ! Seems to soon for a reaction to this tiny little pill ? Scars healing well on out side but the rest of my breast is really painful and under arm ,has anyone else felt like this so quick ! 

Hope some one Can put my mind at rest 

Kimjane

Blueleyla and Sandra ... excellent day for you both x

@Patriciamay wrote:

Hi

difficulty in starting this thread. So going to post blank message.

ladybowler
Community Champion

Sandra

Just a thought, there should be patient transport that you can book through the hospital or try your local charitable organisations, a lot of them have voluteer drivers who provide this service and I think you just make a small donation if anything xx

Katkinblue

So glad to hear about your hubby coming round to it Blueleyla. It's all easier to accept when you have 100% support behind you.

Sandra xx

Katkinblue

Thank you Helena

Just got to sort out transport then I can book the rest of my appointments.

Sandra xx

RunningMum13

That's good to hear ladies, we'll support each other.x

ladybowler
Community Champion

Blueleyla and Sandra

Yay, onwards and upwards to the next milestone, they will be over before you know it 🙂

Helena xxx

Blueleyla

Had my scan done today and will start on 16 February, 15 sessions, got all the times. I had my bone scan this afternoon so nothing to do now but wait for 16 February.  My husband seems a little more accepting of the treatment now and will hopefully be around most days to take/come with me.  Good luck to everyone else

Katkinblue

Set-up scan done along with tattoo's and got my first date 3 Feb. Hope everyone else has had a good dayCat Happy

Sandra xx

Katkinblue

Best wishes and (((HUGS))) for today ladies

Sandra xx

Kimjane

Hi ... just to mention my bone scan before mess as I have osteopenia, hence need this first but I think they do everyone because mess can induce thinning of bones.  Best wishes to all for tomorrow and Patricia for Thursday x

Blueleyla

My planning appointment is 8.30 tomorrow morning when I get my tattoos, my first ones! Back again in the afternoon for the bone scan. Doctor told me it wasn't urgent so if the appointment wasn't convenient I could re arrange but feel ok and the sooner it is done another thing to tick off the list. I am been prescribed letrozole which apart from all the other side effects can cause the bones to thin so I was told they scan now and again in a couple of years to see how they compare.  Will report back when I have been to the hospital

RunningMum13

Ah, found you all ladies! thank you PatriciaMay for starting the thread 🐵

My planning appointment was last Thursday, so i'm all tattooed up and ready to start radiotherapy on 9th February, I'll report back on the advice I'm given regarding lotions and potions and keep an eye on here for you ladies who are ahead of me.

X

Patriciamay

Yes, I was thinking of you LadyB when I wrote that! I think I am going to stick with what you have said, as I think you went through well. I saw the deodrant you mention, will pick some up during the week. Hope you are well. Xxx
ladybowler
Community Champion

Patriciamay

It is amazing how advise differs I was told by my rads team not to use a deoderant that has aluminium/metal in it there is one called Pitrock natural, not cheap and it takes some getting used to as you have to dampen the end of the stick or put it on whilst your underarm is damp, they also told me not to shave during it and for two weeks after I finished.  However, in the booklet you get it states you can use deo but to stop if it the skin becomes irritated by it, it does also you can shave if you want to but to use an electric razor only so as not to damage the skin.!!!

Helena xx

Patriciamay

Morning all.  Would be good to hear how First appointments go.  I'm also curious that there are different approaches at different hospitals.  My onco said to me to have my dexa scan when I felt up to it, as long as it was within 6 months.  I'm booked in for early Feb now as feel more confident about medical interventions (thanks Kimjane! ). Also my radiotherapy leaflet says wear any deodrant you like, unless you get problems, yet I know others on this forum have been given advice.

Hope everones appointments go well tomorrow and I will report back after Thursday.  Hope people can hav a stress free day. Xxxx

Katkinblue

Hi Kimjane

Hope the burn is healing nicely and all goes well with your appointmment. I wasn't told about bone density scans, but just put on adcal d3 (might be my age) I will have to ask about it tomorrow when I go for my set-up scan.

Sandra x

Kimjane

Hi team ...

I was also diagnosed Grade 2 ER+.  Had WLE abs SNB on 30 December.  All nodes clear on pathology.  I was offered chemo and radiotherapy, have declined chemo which surgeon/oncologist are ok with, so having 4 weeks (20 sessions) of radiotherapy.  Unfortunately due to an accidental burn in surgery my rads delayed until healed.  On Monday I have a bone density scan and Friday a CT to mark for rads.  I have not started mess yet as they want the bone density results first.  The following week (7 Feb) appointment to assess if burn healed to go ahead with rads.  So in short I should be with you all in February and this thread is invaluable.  

ann-m
Community Champion

hi Blueleyla,
just popping in, do reassure your husband that rads gives you the best chance of reducing the recurrance risk & generally, the team does know what they're doing!

Rads is standard treatment for the vast majority of us, I remember my BCN telling me rads reduce the risk of recurrance by 60%, therefore a no brainer for me!
ann x
Katkinblue

Hi Blueleyla.

I have to take Letrozole and Adcal D3 for the next 10 years mine also started 10 days agoCat Frustrated. Spend some time over the weekend thinking about the questions you want/need answering about the radiotherapy and write them down.

Sandra xx

Blueleyla

Hi

i was told I would have to take letrozole for the next five years and started that 10 days ago.  I always assumed I would need radiotherapy until the surgeon said in some instances it wasn't necessary. Having planted that seed in my mind it was a bit of a shock when the next doctor said I needed it.  My husband is very anti doctors and hospitals although has come with me to all the appointments.  Travelling is ok by car, on a good run about 20 minutes as I live in south London.  Just hope he comes round to my way of thinking

Patriciamay

Sorry Blueleyla, hope you feel better after Monday, just thought I wasn't sure Was it disappointment thinking you wouldn't  be recommended radiotherapy?  I could understand if your treatment plan had changed all of a sudden.  I have always been on the road for Radiotherapy and hormone treatment.   Let us know and we can see if we can get some more views.  Xx

Patriciamay

Hi there so you are all ahead of me on Monday so hope it all goes ok, as I am in Thursday.  Came home to letter which all seems ok.  

I can only say that my oncologist said that having Radiotherapy for me reduced the risk of re-currance  to absolute miniscuke  proportions, so for me it was a no brainer.  I am also very lucky as I am quite close to the hospital. It's a short trip on the London Underground, and I know that for some the travelling is a real drain, so I don't k ow if this is also a consideration,  perhaps at your planning meeting you could get more clarity?  Anyhow good to be together on this.  All the best. X

Katkinblue

Hi Blueleyla

In my opinion I feel you made the right decision with going for radiotherapy, It will help to "kill" off anything thats left. When I had my diagnosis my decision was that I would take anything that was thrown at me to get rid of the cancer and Hubby said he would support me all the way, but I know everyone is different.

Hugs to you xx

Sandrax

Blueleyla

Hi Going for my planning appointment on Monday and probably starting radiotherapy in 16 February. Feeling down as on my check up after the surgery was told that not everyone needs radiotherapy. Doctor I saw today said I had Grade 2 cancer and the something about oestrogen and progesterone and that she advised having radiotherapy. Husband feels i have made the decision too quickly and should have deferred radiotherapy only having it if/when it came back. I feel if the doctor advised radiotherapy then I should go with that. Does anyone have any thoughts? Have I made the right decision?  Was told that if I have radiotherapy and it comes back then I would have to have a mastectomy. Feeling very confused

Katkinblue

Very cold in Lancashire, a little bit of blue sky. I can't wait for everything to start moving again xx

Patriciamay

So pleased we can do this together.  Snowing a bit here in London

ladybowler
Community Champion

Patriciamay

Told you I would still keep an eye on you all.

I thnk it is absolutely normal.  I remember when I got mine I was so happy as I was able to tell people who were on the journey with me what was going to happen and, in a way, it eased their fears.  I did actually have a time when I was worried that I was doing too well and I was afraid to crash and burn, that has now passed, I have been seeing a counsellor who was able to help me make sense of why I was scared.

Have a lovely day whatever you are doing my friend

Helena xxx

Katkinblue

Hi Patriciamay

I will come along on the trip. I have my planning scan on Monday and have been told that I have to have 15 sessions aswell. My diagnosis was Nov last year, invasive grade 2 er+ in the right and dcis in the left grade 1, so had to have snb on the right on op day. Went back for check up and got told they had found the margins not clear on left as they had found a small invasive in the left side which was her2+, so I was in yet again this time they did the snb through the opening of the scar, thankfully I have not had the problems with that snb as I have had with my right arm ( but they are going slowly). I'm not keen on all the inbetween waiting times the days seem to drag.

Sandra xx

Patriciamay

Ok. That's better.

Hi. Have finally got to my treatment plan after a long saga.  I feel so happy, is this normal?  Am I going to crash down?

I have had two small invasive ductal cancers grade 1 and a grade 2.  Two operations as second lesion was discovered on day of first operation so had to clear margin.  I now have my planning appointment next week and due for 15 sessions.  Anyone coming along for the trip.

Patriciamay

February 2017 Radiotherapy

Hi

difficulty in starting this thread. So going to post blank message.