February Valentines

hello im starting chemo in febuary im scared could eney one thats had chemo tell me how they got on and if they felt very poorley thank you x

Hi Daisy 123
I was in the same position as you this time last year, so hope you don’t mind my take on chemo. I had 3 FEC and 3 TAX before MX and RADS.
It’s a long haul certainly, but doable. I found the 1st 10 days after chemo the worst and just as I started feeling better it was time for more. I felt all I did on my good days was housework, don’t make the same mistake, make the most of the good weeks. Look after yourself, try not to catch anything as chemo really hits the immune system. I was OK and only had one delayed week when my liver seems to be struggling with all those toxins. The most horrible SE for me was the horrid dry mouth, nothing tasted good, Del Monte pineapple lollipops gave very temporary relief.
The worst bit is the waiting for treatment to start, I was surprised how easily I slipped into a routine and started to live for the ‘better’ weeks.

Good luck, I expect lots of others will join this thread as they start chemo in Feb.
Kathryn

Hi Daisy123
I’m in a similar situation, Im due to start chemo in a few weeks, could well be the end of Jan/beg of Feb.

I was diagnosed with BC on November 15th 2012, 1.3mm tumour in left breast, ER+, Grade 3, no Lymph NI. This cancer arrived (thought by docs) due to damage caused by previous radiotherapy i had 18 years ago for non hodgkins lymphoma (from which i recovered well), had a left mastectomy on 19th December 2012 and am due to start chemo in a few weeks EEK- in one way chemo doesnt feel as horrific to me as as it might do to someone who hasnt been through it before, on the other hand I know what’s coming!! However, there are some brilliant posts on this site with hints& tips to help you get through it- it’s hard but doable and once you start you will be inspired to reach the end! I have my first appointment with my oncologist on Thursday so hoping to get the date for first chemo.

Keep Strong

Sarah x

Hi Daisy, Please dont be scared, I had chemo back in June, I am the biggest wimp ever and if i can do it you can, I think it is just the unknown, once they nget all the anti sickness drugs sorted for you you ll be fine!!I also had some extra anti anxiety drugs aswell, so see if maybe you can ask for them, i had some queazy days obviously, but tried to live life normally, I went to the Olympics in the summer and also went to see the group Muse in Manchester,live life as normally as you feel able, obviously the immune system avoiding anybody whos ill, i was constantly rubbing antiseptic hand wash on me and all my family!!whenever we went anywhere.Take care keep strong take all the drugs they offer!!and if you feel very overwhelmed and worried ask for anti anxiety drugs ther is no harm in asking!

Love and be strong, willowcat xx

Thank you all for replying Take care daisy xx

Thank you willowcat feel lot better now and I well go long to doctors and ask for some anti anxiety drugs all so makes me feel better that you went out. Take care x daisy 123

Hi Daisy

Please don’t be scared of chemo - as the others have said, it isn’t nice, but it is ‘doable’. The forums here are a great support and have a wealth of info BUT, it’s often the people who are having a hard time or who have ongoing problems who, understandably, post the most.

Yes, you may get some very unpleasant side effects - but you may not. I’m just over two years since my dx and have had nearly the ‘full monty’ of treatment - mx, node clearance, immediate recon, chemo, rads and tamoxifen. I was one of the boring folk you might not hear much from - I managed to keep working almost normally for two weeks out of three while I was having chemo.

I’m sure that others who are starting chemo at the same time will soon be along and you can support each other through this.

Take care and good luck.
Dx

Hi Daisy
it is a bit daunting, as its the “unknown” plus everyone gives you the worst case scenario which doesn’t help. it seems to be true what everyone says about everyone reacting differently. I was prepared for the worst and was very very pleasantly surprised that chemo was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. I felt just a little under the weather at certain points in the cycle, so just learnt to take it easier those days. FEC was fine, just felt a little funny while taking the steroids and anti sickness, but still got on and looked after my 6 week old baby just fine. Taxotere followed, and I learnt with this that 1 week after treatment I felt a bit like I was getting a cold, and my mouth would be a bit sore, but nothing worse than having a few mouth ulcers at once, perfectly doable. I kept exercising for 2 out of the 3 week cycles, taking it easy for a week after each treatment, drinking lots of water and eating well, and giving by body a chance to flush out the toxins.
drinks lots of water always, particularly on treatment days, keep up the gentle exercise, and if you feel sick, demand different anti sickness drugs, as I got a new anti sickness drug added to the mix after my first FEC. The anti sickness drugs are brilliant, and work a treat! I am also a firm believer in a positive mental attitude. you are going to be one of the ones that sails through it. But if you do get any niggling side effects, there are things you can take to help. It’s all treatable… And think of the good that chemo is doing…

all the best. Xx

hi, I’m new to this group too, but am most of the way through my chemo - have had 5 lots of FEC and am due the last one next week. The main thing i would say is - listen to your body and rest as much as you can. I don’t work but have 2 kids and a puppy and find just doing the usual housey stuff exhausting. The cumulative effect is catching up with me (and that’s having been given only 80% of my dose last time cos chemo 4 was such a nightmare and i ended up in hospital for 5 days with a chest infection).
But you WILL get through it, one day at a time…
CJ

Hi Daisy, as everyone has said, please don’t be scared, the thought for most people is worse than the reality. I had 6 FEC and worked nearly all the way through treatment, only having a break just before my last FEC. I had a mini break to the coast part way through and also went to the Olympics, as well as looking after a 5 year old. I had my bad days, but not that many and not that bad. I was very sick after my first one but my onc gave me Emend and I was fine after that. Just be careful what you’re doing and where you go during your low count days and keep handgel with you. if will go very quickly and be over before you know it.
take care
Lydia x

Hi Daisy
Looks like we’ll be in this together. I was told on Tuesday that after two operations they had got clear margins! I was over the moon and on a high until today, now the fact that chemo is looming on the horizon is starting to sink in :frowning:
I’ve been reading the leaflet they gave me and some of the side affects do not sound very nice at all! I see the Oncologist next Tuesday so will find out then what date I’ll be starting (imagine it will be sometime in Feb).
I have been told not everyone is affected the same way, I’m just preparing for everything and hoping none of it is as bad as it sounds.
I have been told I can opt for a “cold cap” during treatment but from what I’ve heard from friends who have tried it, it’s not very effective and a couple of them have even said they’d never use it again! So I’ve just had a haircut going from quite long hair to a short choppy cut and think I may just risk it all falling out, it’s always been quite thin and straight so maybe it’ll come back thicker with a curl!
We’ll have to compare notes once we get started. Perhaps we could start a “starting chemo in February” thread.
Good luck with it all, one day we’ll be out the other side!
Elaine x

Hi everyone,
I have my appointment with my oncologist in 45 minutes approx, hopefully will get date for first chemo! I’ve felt really emotional all day, a colleague at work said recently ‘a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step’ so best foot forward Ladies!!
I agree Elaine it would be great to start a ‘chemo in feb’ thread!
Sarah x

Hi Sarah and anyone else starting chemo in February who is interested,
Karen has sugessted starting a thread under “starting chemo in feb?” She has also sugested calling our group the “Valentines” which I think is great!
Would be great to get a few of us on board as good to be able to compare notes, find a shoulder to cry on, an ear to bend or be able to give back supoort when needed :slight_smile:
Elaine x

Hi Daisy,
I should be starting in Feb too - will know for sure when I see my oncologist on Tuesday. I am doing lots of things right now to make sure I have a ‘good time’ during the chemo. I have loads of things to organise and look forward to when it’s over. I am not organising things for this year (not big things at any rate) - a walking holiday in summer next year (I need to organise a route the hotels etc - for around a 50 miler as I don’t want to overdo it initially) for me, my husband and friends. I have a wedding to organise and a grandchild due so am busy making things. That’s how I manage my anxiety - do stuff.
I have also thought through the practical things - like set up the spare room for when I feel crap and need to vacate our room (so my husband can sleep - he’ll still have to go to work). I am working from home during chemo so have a project specific for that (which will be something different from my usual work).
I know that the time ahead will be difficult - but I am trying to be positive. Read some of the posts on here - some women managed amazing things during their chemo (like running 5K sponsored runs). I plan on getting out as often as possible, still seeing friends and being social, and living my life. There will just be some alterations. I will not be able to do everything I am used to (I usually have every weekend filled with activities), but that doesn’t for one moment mean I will be sat on my sofa watching Jeremy Kyle (although I have heard it’s very funny).
I am also (and most excitedly for me) getting a dog!!!
Nows the time to organise what you can do during your chemo. Think through best and worst cases and organise something to look forward too that will fit these outcomes.
Good luck
Alison

It looks as though I might be joining the Valentines too (fab name) I have an appointment to visit the chemo day clinic on 31st Jan, for the ‘talk’ and to ask any questions. I will be having fec-T and as well as the usual anti sickness meds, steroids etc, I’m to have a white blood cells injection every month as my immunity is already low due to being on methotrexate injections for RA, which I assume will stop. Haven’t been given a date yet, Perhaps I will get that on, or shortly after 31st. Good luck all you other Valentines, see you on our new page - if I can find it.

Hi poemsgalore, I too was on methotrexate for RA prior to chemo, along with hydroxychloroquine and prednisalone. I was taken off all of them during chemo but my onc warned me I would probably flare quite badly once treatment had finished, and she was right. I was not prescribed the gcsf injections as they’re not needed routinely for FEC75, however, was neutropenic after fec number 2 so had them after that x

Hello everyone.

I am going to be starting chemo in February too. I have the 1st appointment with my oncologist on 30th January.

Hello I have my first. Appointment on 29 January good luck to all. Who are starting chemo in February ill be in the group valentines. Give support to each other. Carnt sleep tonight. Don’t know why All the best. Xx

Has anybody started the “Stating chemo in Feb - Valentines” thread yet? As can’t find it!
Big hugs to you all.

Hi , I put a thread on asking if anyone wanted to start a thread for Feb& suggested the name but more than welcome if anyone else has any other suggestions. I just think its such a good idea to support each other whether its a top tip or just to rant !
the thread seems to get bumped down cos not many posts yet , I’ve just put on a message at 1pm

hope a few of us can join it
Karen xx