Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

February rads 2014

23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted

Re: February rads 2014

Hi Emma

Thank you

All the best tomorrow and for the rest of your radio treatments, I'm sure you will get through it all ok 🙂

I'm 38 and I agree it's all quite daunting the idea of menopausal symptoms when you are still only in your 30's!!! I hope you don't suffer too many of them when you start taking tamoxifen in April.

Good luck

Vicki
Highlighted

Hi Vicki, thanks for the advice.  I'm hoping radiotherapy will be a walk in the park compared to the chemo but have fair skin so might end up getting a bit of a reaction.  Hope your soreness goes soon.

I hope the side effects wear off for you with the Tamoxifen.  My oncologist said that it can take a few months for your body to adjust and get used to it.  I'm 35 and a bit worried about the menopausal symptoms it can give you but its better than the alternative!

Best of luck with the rest of your treatment!

Emma xx

Highlighted

Hi Emma,

I was given the same advise, and to be honest for the 1st week I wasn't strict on following it, I sneaked in shaving my armpits at the start of week 2 as well, but you get used to washing with different products. I use E45 shower for my treated area then my normal stuff for the rest of me!

I'm half way through week 2 and I'm still wearing my underwired bras ok, but I do undo it in the car going home! For me it has only been week 2 that my skin has gone red and sore to touch. I'm alternating between using e45 & the moo goo udder cream, as a relative saw an article on it and bought me some, so I thought certainly worth a try.

It's funny but it wasn't until I had to start tamoxifen, and read about all the side effects that my b.c became real to me and got me down a bit!! I've been on it a month now and have experienced a bit of nausea, dry itchy skin - all over not just my zapped area, weird headaches/dizziness at the beginning but that wore off after the 1st week.

All the best for Monday

Vicki
Highlighted

Hi Vicki, I'm due to start radiotherapy on Monday which is 19 sessions altogether.  I've been told to apply E45 cream twice a day and used unperfumed soap, no shaving and no deoderant.  They also said I shouldn't wear underwired bras and my BCN said about loose fitting camisoles.  Have you found it uncomfortable wearing bras etc?  I also start Tamoxifen on 1st April and not looking forward to the side effects of that!

Emma

Highlighted

Hi, I'm a March starter of 4 weeks radiotherapy at the Churchill hospital, oxford. I'm 7 sessions in and the side effects are starting to kick in.... I'm getting very tired, but you don't know how much of that is due to the long journeys to hospital & back, my nipple is soo sore & tender, I'm starting to go red from my collarbone downwards and across under my armpit and I get funny twinges and stabbing pains, but from what I have read so far, these are all quite normal! Thankfully..... But I don't know if anyone else is experiencing nausea, I had a sleepless night last night & felt nauseous, maybe the tamoxifen SE ?

I def advise to keep up with the physio exercises as my shoulder is starting to ache a bit from lying in the unnatural position. And certainly if you get a bit shy of exposing yourself, forget it!!! I had 3 young men lining me up today!!!!! Oh & get used to being drawn on, I've never had so many blue marks on me lol.....

Sorry for the ramble, I'm new to these forums & just realised how good it is to discuss /share with people who are going through the same thing.

Good luck to all going through this daily zapping 🙂

Oh and I am trying Moogoo udder cream, recommended in Australia by oncologists apparently, time will tell.

Vicki
Highlighted

Hi there, I'm starting radiotherapy this month.  Doing the usual 15 sessions plus 4 as a boost.  Just wondered if anyone had any tips to pass on?  Thanks Emma x

Highlighted

That's great news - glad it went well. still waiting for my planning appointment so not sure when I will be starting. Hopefully wont be long now. Keep us informed as how you are doing. Liggy

Highlighted

First day today all went well really quick only took about fifteen minutes but they said it will be even quicker after the first few days as they will have all the machine set up. Xxx Tracy
Highlighted

Well Wednesday is fast approaching I've ordered some udder cream from a uk Moogoo stockist so it should be with me by Wednesday I've also got h&b aloe Vera gel as well so I'm hoping these will keep my se at bay. Is anyone else starting rads this week? Xxx Tracy
Highlighted

Hi Nenny66 well done on getting on so well so far not long to go now! I was told I would have to avoid sun exposure after rads for about a year. This would mean having to cover up in the sun and to use a high factor 50 to that area. It might be a good idea to ask the radiographers the next time you go up to get their opinion. I was also hoping to get away and relax after treatment has finished so I'm looking to go somewhere not too hot and with places to visit as sun lounger is out for this year. With the itching did they mention about antihistamine as they stop itching as well? I'm glad you have joined this thread and you will be one of the early ones to finish as I start on 26th feb so you will be able to let us know more about it especially with the time after rads has finished as it is supposed to continue afterwards for about 10 days. Where are you having your rads done ? Xxx Tracy
Highlighted

Hello Nenny66

Welcome to the forums. 

As well as all the support you will receive on the forums we also have a free helpline where you can talk things through with a member of staff, they are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information.

The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

with best wishes

June, moderator

Highlighted

Hi,  I'm a first time user of this site, so bear with me.  I will be having session 15 today of 18, so I'm getting near the end - hurray!  Feel like it's taking over my life (especially as it's half term this week and my youngest daughter is off school)!  All has gone ok, but skin has become really itchy - been advised to start using 1% hdrocoitisoine cream by hospital which I'm now trying - hoping it's not going to get much worse.  Any advice on exposure to sun?  Wanted to celebrate end of treatment with a family holiday in the sun, but am now worried I will have to stay completely covered in the sun.  The area treated can now been seen as the skin is dark red and reaches up almost to my neck -  will I have to wear high necks?  Not what I was hoping for - thought I would be able to relax on a beach somewhere.  Any advice?

Highlighted

Thanks for the advise Beatrice sorry to hear your skin broke down they say it carries on working up to ten days after so we def need to be mindful of slapping on the cream before during and afterwards. Hope your skin is on the mend now xxx tracy
Highlighted

Yeah me to with the fatigue! I went to London yesterday so wiped out today . I hope this improves soon as it's hard being tired all the time. I've got the aloe Vera from holland and Barrett they also gave me aqueous cream to use I've also heard udder cream is supposed to be very good too! Also cabbage leaves ?? Think I'm going to stick with aloe Vera and aqueous cream and maybe give the cabbage a go if it starts to get hot lol xxx tracy
Highlighted

Hi Tracy - I am off to the Letrozole clinic on the 14th March and I will be taking it for a minimum of 5 years. Just when you think you do not have to deal with anymore side effects along comes years of medication! Hope the hot flushes sort themselves out - I am post menopausal so I get to skip tamoxifen and go straight to Letrozole. But as with all the treatment you never know how it is going to effect each and every one of us so let's all hope that we adjust well to both the Rads and the hormone treatment. Busy working out what creams to use while having Rads - thinking aloe vera - but all advice greatfully received. Another 'fatigue' day today - this Chemo is definitely the toughest - but as it is the last one I know I can cope with whatever it throws at me. Liggy x

Highlighted

Hi Liggy yes I have felt the same after last chemo completely wiped out! I'm just starting to get a bit if energy now but if I do something one day the next I have to rest I hope this doesn't last for to much longer it would be nice to syart to feel. Little bit like I used to again. I know what you mean about the time when going through it it seemed to drag but when I finished it seemed to have gone quickly but July seems a life time away now . I think we have had so much done to is and have been through so much in a relatively short space of time that it seems a long time ago. I'm so glad we are in this side of things and I just want to get rads done and dusted now. I am also starting tamoxifen. On 1st March which I have to take for 10 years! Oh the joys ! I'm already getting the hot flushes from the chemo so I'm hoping they don't get worse especially with summer coming I think I'll be cooked lol. I'm not working either at the min I'm probably not going to go back until may as I want to get over everything and get my energy back a bit and have a nice holiday I think we deserve a bit of normal time now xxx tracy
Highlighted

Best of luck to you all commencing RADS.

Be mindful of skin breaking down. Mine opened up on the very last day a week ago and it is very irritating. This was on my clavicle (collarbone) where the skin is quite thin.  If the soreness comes on rapidly ask the radiotherapy team immediately for their help. Don't stint on the moisturising.

Get used to being handled like the proverbial piece of meat and try not to mind it - at least that was my experience.

Take care all

Beatrice x

Highlighted

I am having my rads at the Churchill in Oxford - Chemo was OK - nothing too bad but had the last one on Monday so feeling pretty wiped out at the moment but just delighted not to have to go through any more! Waiting for my first appointment with the consultant re what number of Rads I will need etc. just looking forward to having the planning done and getting it underway. It is strange - I was diagnosed last July - had surgery, Chemo and now waiting for Rads and in some ways it seems to have gone really fast and in other ways like I have never been anything else but a cancer patient! Impossible to plan anything or for me to work until all over so roll on Spring and a glorious summer (with hair to match hopefully as getting pretty bored of being bald!). Here's hoping we only have good experiences to share as we go through Rads!

Highlighted

Great to hear from you Liggy I finished my last chemo on 24th Jan so glad that part of treatment is over I was lucky and didn't have too many side effects compared to some people. Where are you having your rads done? Do you know how many you are having yet? I have had my rads planning and had my tattoos done ready to start it wasn't that bad just have a blue dot in middle of cleavage now lol. I'm glad you have come along to join me it will be good to share how we are doing and support each other through this part of our journey Xxx Tracy
Highlighted

Hollykins0212 congratulations on finishing your rads and 25 of them ! I am due to start on 26th Feb and I'm having 18 rads 15 +3 boosters. I'm having them done at Mount Vernon. How did you find having treatment ? Any tips you would recommend? Where did you have your rads? Xxx Tracy
Highlighted

Hi liggy ,welcome to the BCC forums where I am sure you will find lots of support from your fellow users

Please also feel free to call our helpliners to talk through any concerns or queries, lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Saturday 10-2 on 0808 800 6000, our team are on hand with practical and emotional support for you

Here's a couple of links to the BCC radiotherapy information and further support ideas which you may find helpful:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/treating-breast-cancer/radiotherapy

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-services

Take care
Lucy BCC

Highlighted

I am waiting for my dates but Chemo over now so should be starting within the next few weeks. Would love to be part of the group. Nothing like support from those going through it with you!

Highlighted

Good luck to you and wishing you success with your treatment. How many sessions are you going for? I just finished 25. Xo
Highlighted

February rads 2014

Hi I'm due to start radiotherapy on 26th Feb I have been following the January thread which I found really helpful and thought I'd start one for February. It would be nice to share our experience with others going through at same time to give each other support. Please let me know if you would like to share xxx Tracy