Fec 2 on 12 jan

Hi to all of you

Nice to know I’m not on my own. Having to think about hair loss, it hasn’t started to fall out in huge chunks yet, but the whole hair thing is freaking me out. went to buy a wig on friday but couldn’t face it so left empty handed.

Anybody out there feeling the same or any advice

Sue

Hi Sue, I felt the same as you a few weeks ago. Ihave had 2 FEC chemo, next one on Wed. I was terrified of losing my hair, I took a friend to help me choose a wig and that helped. Once it started to come out in handfuls and was on the pillow every morning I decided to get it clippered off.after the initial shock of looking in the mirror, I felt much better and now a week later Im fine with it. I have worn my wig a few times, also wear scarves, hats etc but sometimes weear nothing when I am at home alone. I thought if it takes me being bald to get rid of this horrid thing then so be it. You arent alone Sue. Ness xxxxx

Hi Sue,

Hard as it is I would definitely recommend buying a wig before you really start losing your hair as the wig consultant can help you to find something that matches your current colour and look (unless of course you want a complete change! :D). Mine said that she deals with so many people who come in once their hairloss has started and they often end up choosing something in a panic just to have a wig. Far better to do it when you don’t have the additional stress to deal with.

Mine came out with a vengeance 15 days after my first AC and I got the OH to clip short what was left. I hate finding hair everywhere, especially in the bed so I’ve been wearing a soft hat most of the time but definitely to sleep in. You might want to invest in some soft beanies to wear to begin with as your scalp can be quite tender and a wig might feel uncomfortable. At least at this time of the year everyone’s wearing hats anyway! :slight_smile:

I was well and truly freaked out by the hairloss because I had waist length hair to lose and it broke my heart to have it all cut short just before chemo started, but I’m really glad that I did now.

The other way to look at it is that when your hair starts to fall out, awful though it is, it’s a sign that the chemotherapy is doing its job. I just keep repeating the mantra ‘it will grow back, it will grow back’ because at the end of treatment it will!

Nymeria xx

Felt just the same Sue when I had FEC in the summer and I’m now on Taxotere after a break from chemo and expecting it to fall out again after its just started to grow for 4 months… Some of the worst parts for me were the aggravating itchiness of hair falling out and in the end that drove me to have it shaved off and that was such a relief. I got the courage to go to the hairdresser to have it shaved motivated by work colleagues sponsoring me for a cancer charity - so I had to go and report back to them!!! It worked for me and it did make me feel something positive came out of the experience - the idea was in in a BCC booklet so they can take credit for it! I then indulged in a orgy of buying scarves and some hats - and I’ve never been “a hat person” so that gave me a new outlet for trying to feel feminine… Hope these thoughts help you - I do understand how you feel - but it does grow back so keep your focus on the benefits of the chemo. And it’s fun thinking about what regrows - I wished for the curly hair I’d never had and it is coming through wavy!!!
All best wishes
Fran

hi all,
me too! i lost my hair on fecx6 in summer and just as it was growing back like mad it got about an inch long and had to start tax x3 and now its fallen out again but im not bothered like i thought i would be and i know now how quickly it starts to grow back.
rach xx

Hi all,

I had lost my hair after 3 FEC - it started going about day 14 after FEC1. I’ve had a break of 6 weeks (other health problem)and it is starting to grow back. TAX starts on Thursday though, so I guess it will go again.
I don’t really mind too much. I feel very comfortable in my hats and buffs. Only wear my wig occasionally - it never feels too safe. Other people say it looks great though.

Stella xxx

hello,
have my second FEC on 21 Jan. not as nervous this time as I know what to expect but still worried about effects. I’ve been really lucky as I’ve felt pretty good.
Always enjoyed my food and drinks piping hot but now find I can’t stand it - burns too much. Blow my nose most days to find blood spots. And today, the biggy, my hair is sore at the roots and it’s bloody every where. All over the bed, strands all over my shoulders. Managed to brush it so carefully but still lots came out.
Not sure how to go with this. Don’t wnat to face bald patches so trying to decide whether to get the clippers out. I’m emabbarrassed that my son and partner are noticing the hair - not that they’re bothered. It’s just me.
Oh well, I’ve always fancied the GI Jane look. Maybe this is the chance to relive my youth and get some docks and a rather pretty dress.

Keep smiling. :slight_smile:
Mandy xxx

hi all,
i did , i got so fed up of hair falling everywhere i shaved it off with clippers. its great having a shower is so much quicker . i just towel dry my head ,no more drying and straightening. i wont want it like this forever though cant wait till its grown back about 1cm then scarf coming off. rach xx

Hi, I had mine cut really short before I started chemo - as it was thick and heavy. It started to come out on day 15 post FEC1 and kept on falling out for 5 days. I was nearly tempted to shave it, but thought I’d just see what happened. The rate at which it fell out slowed down after 5 days, then I had the next chemo. So far, it is thinning to the extent of 5/6 hairs on the towel after I’ve towel dried it but I’m expecting it to shed again at day 15.

I do have prickly scalp in the morning, and thin patches, but the short/messy haircut hides it (got OH to check from above!).

I had the cold cap first time round, but not second (12 days ago). I have also ignored the ‘don’t wash it, just pat it dry’ I was given, as my own theory is that massaging the head stimulates the blood flow and helps the hairs (but don’t know if this is true! - it just feels right)

I wash, condition, massage my head and rough dry it with my hand and a hairdryer ever day, but I don’t brush it (as that is pulling the hairs) I’m sure it will go, but at least what I’ve got looks as nice as it can for the few more days I might have it.

It would be interesting for someone to do a test to see whether there is a difference in hair-loss between normal treatment of it vs not touching it.

Annie

i had my first fec 30th dec and hair coming out in handfuls i have actually put it in a carrier bag which is half full, wierd i know.i have got a great wig ready and a couple of hats but i think i will feel daft in a hat or scarf. i felt ok for a couple of days after then had a bad chest infection which knocked me for six. Due my next treatment in 3 days and am anxious as i know my hair will probably all be gone by then. i have noticed that i am constantly hungry which is unusual for me so i am just feeding myself up on jacket potatoes tuna and roast potatoes. Somebody else posted a message about a shampoo bar sold by lush that contains cinnamon and cloves which stimulates hair growth so i am going to give that a try spoke to one of the staff at lush and she also said to rub sweet almond oil into the scalp as it also stimulates hair growth. Fingers crossed. I hope all of us keep well warm and safe and have lots of chats xx