cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fec n tax

105 REPLIES 105
little_angel

Re: Fec n tax

Day 11 post TAX1 and pleased to report to anyone still strugglin post tax that i actually feel a bit more human today (was beginning to think i never would) - digestive system behaving itself, mouth ulcers/thrush almost gone and no aches and pains.

feels weird knowing next treatment is next week - the window of time feeling reasonable is definately smaller for me with TAX than FEC.

had a night away from home this weekend and it did me the power of good - not been anywhere for ages and i felt so much better for the change of scenery

and so to half term......

luv n hugs to all

claire

TSR

Glad to hear you are coming out of the other end Rach. Got my initial radio app for the end of March. Hope the aches continue to improve,
Tracey

Guest user
Not applicable

hi all,
finally got to bottom of rusty stiff achey joints its a se of the 3 taxotere and can take months to go..i thought i'd let you know whats happening with me as i know some of you are only a few weeks behind me..
last wed had mapping scan and tattoo's for 6wks of radio therapy starting mon 21st feb. tattoo,s didnt hurt at it all it was easy. had first zoladex injection that too didnt hurt . i thought it would after reading some posts. and started tamoxifen tabs. so far i havent noticed any se's at all, let's hope it lasts.taking 1000mg of primrose oil per day as told to by onc.
i'm still having lots of hot flushes and no periods just like i did throughout chemo but they're a doddle after how ill i was on chemo.i dont think any treatment can be as bad as chemo.especially fec i could throw up just thinking about fec. however i mangaged 6 of those i'll never know.anyway i'm now 4wks post chemo and i'm beginning to feel better already.
hugs to you all rach xxxxx

TSR

Hi Claire,
I'm on day 5 of the last of my of 3 Tax, so prob feeling similar to you....think the first is always the worst though. Good luck,
Tracey

dancing_girl

Hello Claire,
Hope you're feeling a bit better. I'm OK as I'm having an extra week between Tax 1 and 2 to recover from appendix removal. I'm rather sore and swollen in abdomen area - can't do my trousers up, but no TAX SEs at the moment. I have my peas all ready for next Thursday.

Take care. Stella xx

little_angel

how are you all doing??

little_angel

hope you dont mind me jumping on board - having 4 FEC and 4 TAX - so far have had the 4FEC and the first TAX and how yuk has that been?

like someone else has said, i felt like i was coping with FEC SEs but TAX? - well it has rattled me. i am day 6 today and my mouth and digestive sytem do not belong to me- i seem to be a bit less achey though so i will take that as a positive sign

best wishes to everyone on similar journey

claire

TSR

Cromer Crab-
Was in Norfolk at the weekend, very near Cromer, did not get to sample the seafood though! Pressuming that is where your pen name is from?

Yes, I feel I can put up with the se's if it is working it's magic! Few nails starting to lift though....Have cut them very short, so that they don't catch on anything.

Rach, hope your se's are disappearing gradually. Now that the chemo is finished, at least you can look at supplements etc to help (I presume?). A friend of mine found the alternative medicine advice really useful at the Cavendish - she really suffered with prolonged aches and pains. And you have the comfort of knowing that they are experts in dealing with specific probs post BC, chemo etc.

Tracey x

Guest user
Not applicable

the only positive thing to add is that when herceptin and tax are given together it makes BOTH drugs more effective.
x sarah

TSR

Thanks Rach,
Yes, every 3 weeks- for the next year. Hope your aches get better, sounds grim. Your nails sound like mine though,
Tracey

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi, not posted to you previously, but saw your comment re legs and bum.
Have you spoken to your chemo nurses about this? I don't want to alarm you, but I'd take advice incase of any oedema.

xxxxx
Hope you get the answers you need

Guest user
Not applicable

hi all
i'm having real problems with my legs. and when i go up the stairs ,i get cramp and muscle burning in my thighs and bum cheeks. has anyone else got this?
still waiting for taste to come back (day20).
the top half of my nails are yellow but the soreness has gone.not had much numbness though.
Lif, i think tax is slightly worse than fec but fec made me feel sick and threw up alot which i hated. but tax has taken all my strengh and had a bad effect on my legs. unless its just the toll of 9 chemos , i'm not sure.
stella, yes the acheing has got worse with each tax.
tracey , don't worry lets wait till you get your surgery date, it bound to be on your mind at mo.only one more chemo for you . yippee! i've got chemo brain.
how often do you have herceptin is it every 3wks with chemo? rachxx

TSR

LIF,
Difficult to say if herceptin makes it worse, because I started them together. I suppose when I stop the chemo, I can see what se's I am left with! Everything I have been told suggests that herceptin has very few se's- the main one being the effect on your heart.
Last Tax on 14th. I am hoping my nails will be ok, but my toes are very tender, and you can see the drug 'tracking' up my finger nails. I hope enough of the nailbed is left after 3 sessions, to keep them anchored. Guess that is the advantage of mixing 3 FEC and 3 tax!
Tracey

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks LIF - will certainly continue with peas then - will just keep recycling my freezer bags of them each time so that's not too much of a problem and I'm now over feeling funny about actually sitting during the chemo with them for an hour... anything to help... hope your fingers calm down again soon
Fran

dancing_girl

Thanks LiF, We'll definitely keep using them, then. I'll keep you posted Fran.

Hope you're SEs start disappearing soon LiF.

Stella

Guest user
Not applicable

Peas...well...I have had minor tingling and numbness up til now despite peas...however due to dose being reduced even more thought I'd stop the frozen peas for this last dose...big mistake as hands and feet really bad...keep up on the frozen fingers girls xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Dancing Girl
Good to know you are still using the frozen peas - I am too with Tax and so far fingers are ok too afterr 2 doses - do keep in touch to see how we get on - it might be the closest we get to a scientific study on the subject!! or maybe be are just lucky....
Fran

dancing_girl

I've not had herceptin, but I don't suppose it helps to have two things going on at once. A pity you can't have them one at a time so you know what's causing what.
You certainly seem to have had a particularly rough time.
Hope you are not suffering too much this time. How are the finger tips? Mine have been OK so far, but don't know if it was luck or the peas and I know it could develop over the next two cycles though.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi girls...I have found tax harder than fec but wonder if having herceptin with it makes it worse...what you think?

dancing_girl

Hi all,

Tracey, my fifth is on 16th Feb. If I hadn't had all the delay I would have had my last one the day I had my 4th. But at least I was feeling really well by the time I had my first TAX. I'm not on herceptin - I am weakly ER+ (only 2/8). I think compared to most people TAX has not been too bad, but I've found it a bit harder than FEC - definitely more tired and lacking in energy.
Hope the herceptin will be kind to your stomach.

Stella xx

TSR

Hi All,
Yeah, Stella, last one on the 14th Feb! So far, have found the 3 FEC worse the Tax, I've done. I know what you mean about the digestion though. Are you on herceptin as well, because that is the icing on the cake for my poor old stomach....
Tracey x

dancing_girl

Hi girls, I wrote a post yesterday, lost it and hadn't got the energy to start again.

Had lots of digestive problems with TAX, but settling now so will try to get some pounds back on. A bit achey, but not too bad, overwhelming exhaustion though. I've made myself go for a walk each day which does help, but did some easy gardening yesterday and was completely wiped out.
I'm certainly not ready for the hills yet! I'm really looking forward to getting back to dancing and getting out for hill walks later in the year.
Have you tried glucosamine for the joints Rach. It might be worth a try. Hope the aches will subside soon. Have you found that you have got progressively achier with each TAX? That taste thing is horrible too.
Fran - poor you having to start again with the chemo.
Is it TAX for you next, Tracey?

Best wishes all.

stella xx

TSR

Hi Fran! I know exactly the flats you mean! How funny. Like Rach, am feeling that hillwalking is a pipe dream at the moment - but that sounds great. We had talked about meeting at meadowhall one day- send me a pm if you are interested! Rach, keep meaning to pm you back, just trying to get a date for my surgery at the moment, and can't really see past that in terms of organising things in diary. Can't help with advice on how long the aches and pains last - from what people have told me anecdotally, it seems to very much depend on how fit you were to start with, and what, if any, hormone treatment you go on to have.

Hope all you Feccers and Taxers are having a reasonable week...
Tracey xx

Guest user
Not applicable

hi fran yes that would be good. rach xx

has anyone any tips? ive just had last tax but feel like my bones have gone rusty all my joints ache it doesnt seem to be going and im having problems walking up hills. shud i be taking cod liver oil or evening primrose? does anyone post tax know when this gets easier. rachxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi to Sheffielders! We are now in Nottingham but my OH is from Worrall and I spent 12 years in flat overlooking Dore station when I was teaching - we've not actually lived in Sheffield together so plan to retire back there afatrer OH retires this summer (the draw of the Peaks is so strong!!) but I'm waiting for a stable phase in treatments having had secondary dx in April and now on second lot of chemo - had 6 FEC in the summer and now on 6 TAX. But hope to house hunt before too long - and then could meet up with you too!!
Fran

Guest user
Not applicable

hi girls, how is everyone ? its gone very quiet. hope your not suffering se too badly.
i'm just starting to feel a bit better, day 13 after 3rd tax.
i'm desperate for taste to come back. rach37 xxx

TSR

Stella, Rach,
How're you two doing? Hope there are not too many se's
Tracey x

dancing_girl

So that's two Sheffielders and two with OHs from Sheffield. What was your Dad's name Rach? Maybe Geoff (or his Sister who still lives there) know him. I bet his parents would have known of him, but they are no longer around.

Stella xx

TSR

Well, it is a small world! We will have to have an actual get-together one day, instead of a virtual one!
T x

Guest user
Not applicable

My OH is from Sheffield too.... and his daughter (from previous relationship) and her children still live up there....

AvenueSue_

Good luck for tomorrow ladies- not long to go. Each one close to the goal. Fan sounds like a good idea- I did buy some heel repair balm today as well so I'm giving that a go too.
I'm having Tax next week. Although the SE are harder I do feel better now than I did on FEC by the same time. I'm meeting with the breast consultant tomorrow to review progress I hope to get a surgery date and can make some plans.
Hope all goes well with chemo tomorrow
Sue

Guest user
Not applicable

hi all,
i know high green my dad used to live there. we are just up from western park hosp where im having treatment.
good job as got 30 rads to go to starting 16th feb.
still plenty of time for a few barcardi and cokes between end of tax and start of rads, thats what i keep thinking (yes!!!), as havent been drinking on 7mths of chemo. rach xx

Guest user
Not applicable

hee hee fellow sheffielders how great i thought there wasnt any on here except me. thats cheered me up. rach xx

dancing_girl

My OH is a Sheffielder - High Green near Chapeltown.
I'm from London so we are living between t'two in Leicestershire - have done for 35 years now.
Stella xx

TSR

Hey, Rach, fellow Sheffielder!
Tracey x

Guest user
Not applicable

hi stella,
good luck to you for 2moro. they took my blood yesterday and got blood 1st try my veins must be getting a bit better after all that fec,so i hope they find a vein easily for you too. i get so tense about being cannulated now that im taking half a lorazapam tab tonight and half of one in morning before i go to help calm me.
let us know how you getting on with your 1st tax.
i'll be thinking of you. rach xx

dancing_girl

Good luck tomorrow Rach - well done for getting to the end - you had a marathon run of it.
Should I take peas for my feet as well do you think?

Stella xx

Guest user
Not applicable

hi sue,
i've had red hot feet , i had the fan blowing on them and they felt a bit sore and then it went away.
im having tax no3 2moro . r u having chemo this wk?
my sister is coming up to sheffield from oxford to go with me for last chemo. rach xx

AvenueSue_

Hi all,
Back at work this week and fit note has reduced hours on it which is a help.
Can anyone help with advice on sore feet? The soles of my feet have felt on fire all day and the skin is quite sore. I'm worried about skin peeling as I have been told this is a potential side effect and would like to nip any problems early.
Anyone having their chemo this week?
Sue

Guest user
Not applicable

yes i had injection for 7 days after fec and will continue todo so. not as bad as i thought just make sure you take them out of the fridge an hour before or it can be a bit sore. xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Sarah, I'll see if I can find the thread...

Guest user
Not applicable

haha tsr you make me smile. xx rach

Hi ladies,

Is there anyone that could go to the younger woman starting treatment thread & help with a cpl of questions ref chemo/bras as am not sure there is anyone on that thread far enough along to answer/give advice.

Not sure this is the way to do things so apologies if its incorrect, just wouldnt want it to seem like question was ignored.

Many Thanks

Sarah.x

TSR

I know what you mean Rach. I went for a walk this morning - well actually just had to get out of the house before I said something to my teenage daughter that I would regret! I had to laugh, because after getting my coat and boots, finding the dog lead, keys etc, and flouncing off angrily, I had to stop for a rest at the gate! Ha ha!

Guest user
Not applicable

hi all'
it cheers me up to read yor messages my daughter 20yrs and 13yr old son cant do enough for me but my 17yr old son finds talking to me an inconvenience at mo which makes me laugh.
my boys have had to discover how to feed themselves on my bad days (such a hard life, NOT).
i'm on day18 after 2nd tax and finally felt well enough to go for a 30min walk but coming back up the field made my legs hurt , i cant wait to get back to regular walks again once chemo over. im an outdoors person so all this staying in feeling weak and ill is horrible.
i've found chemo a bit unpredictable so me and my husband are wondering if 3rd tax will hit me harder or not be as bad as 2nd tax.
will let you know nxt wkend...
keep posting everyone its so helpful to hear how everyone else is getting on. rach xx

TSR

Fingers crossed LIF!
Stella, yes I found it was day 3 onwards that the real fatigue set in- but I was just so relieved not to be being sick! I had herceptin on day 2 as well, with iv piriton, so that probably contributed to tiredness, not sure. I really hope the next two are no worse, but I don't know. The 3rd FEC was the most horrible one for me....although 2 wasn't great....mmmm!!
Hope everyone has a good weekend,
Tracey

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello all...checking in day 3 after tax 2...had 20% dose reduction this time after the horrors of last time and hope to goodness it works. Still feeling shattered, no taste and very confuddled but only slight sore throat so far....
Hope we all get through with not too much agonies...big hugs everyone xxx

dancing_girl

Hi Tracey,

I don't know why I thought your 15 year old was a boy - apologies to your daughter. Pleased you had a good time anyway

It's reassuring to hear that you've not found TAX too bad. I've read so many horror stories. Best to be prepared be prepared for the worst. then at least it can only be better. Am I right in thinking you feel OK for the first couple of days and then SEs kick in later?

Hope your remaining TAX are no worse than this one.

Stella

TSR

Yes, made it out thanks Stella. Girl, not boy, although I know what you mean, as have a 12yr old boy as well. I think nowadays, they don't talk at all, thanks to texting! They have entire relationships by text. - although as I'm typing this, I am thinking that is what we are all doing too!
I have not found the first Tax too bad. Who knows what the second and third will be like though!
Tracey

dancing_girl

Tracey, Relieved to get it all under way again and nearer to getting finished but much trepidation about the TAX.
Enjoy the meal for your 15 year old. Is he at the grunt stage or is he more communicative? My two lads (now much older ) were one of each. I would listen to the younger one on the phone. There would be a couple of grunts and he would apparently have arranged to meet his friends to play football.
Rach, hope you are a bit better now - you need some good days before the next one!

Best wishes to all whatever you are battling with.

Stella xx