cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fed Up With Being Fat!

23 REPLIES 23
bill-ben

Re: Fed Up With Being Fat!

Ellie I bet it feels good getting rid of the pic line I was so pleased when mine went . I couldn't face swimming now its just so cold . My hands and feet are permanently cold, we went for a lovely walk on the beach again today but I was wearing a long sleeved t shirt a shirt jumper two coats two pairs of socks jeans hat and gloves and was still cold!!  If I get my other boob off soon then I,ll be able to sort out a new cossie with and a matching pair of swimming boobs! But the weather needs to warm up alot first. Enjoy your swimming xxxx 

EJ81

I call those knickers apple catchers!!
Had my picc line removed after chemo yesterday so went straight to m and s to pick up and try on some swimsuits I'd pre ordered. Be warned - the post surgery ones seem to be smaller than the 'normal' ones! I'd been in the week before to try some on as I wasn't sure what size I needed and had a real squeeze getting into the ones I ordered. All you need when you're struggling with body image! Anyway really hoping to get a couple of swims in before my port goes in on Wednesday. I hope everyone is getting on alright, this cold weather doesn't help when you're trying to keep away from the cakes does it?! Xxxx
bill-ben

It's nearly lunchtime and all this talk of food is making me dribble (though I can sometimes do that without the talk of food. An age thing!!) On the scales today and have lost 1lb which is not bad concidering the kebab the other day and the fish and chips at the weekend. The slimming world leek and macaroni was pretty good. I have to keep on with the eating plan now as the other day I finally got round to sorting out my wardrobe and have bagged up all my fatter clothes to go to the local cancer charity shop so if I put weight back on I will be walking around naked which is not pretty. A downside of losing weight is the saggy skin which was made worse when I lost alot so quickly on chemo. Just need lots of harvest festival kickers where everything is safely gathered in! Ellie I love your reactions to the starers people can be so thoughtless. Good luck with the healthy eating everyonexx 

belinda

It's just one more horrible little add on to having this disease isn't it? You feel prepared to lose your hair, go through all sorts to live but the side effects from everything can end up making you look so dramatically different. I was slim and active prior to diagnosis, over the years I put on four stone and felt very sluggish. Then I lost some weight, not down to willpower on my part just a different treatment left me with very little appetite. Then I had very little appetite but was still slowly gaining weight and I felt so sluggish. Turned out my extra weight this time was fluid as I had developed heart failure (a complication from a chemo.) On heart meds now and feeling much better 🙂 but I lost so much weight after my heart failure diagnosis, losing the extra fluid, 3 stone of it, pretty quickly, I suddenly found out I actually very thin, I felt so weak, I looked tiny, bird like, I'm just under 5 ft 4 inches. All of my clothes were falling off me, couldn't keep my trousers up. It was scary and I looked much older and very ill. I actually couldn't wait to put on weight to build myself up again. Now, nearly a year on and full circle I'm slightly overweight but going with the flow and trying to keep things static, just to help my heart and bones. My biggest weakness is fresh crusty bread, toast, butter. I sometimes feel what the heck why deprive myself of yummy stuff and then I feel guilty if I lost a little weight I would feel more energetic....my take on it, for now, is everything in moderation is best. 🙂 x
stresshead

Hi ladies...i too have put on about two stone since my first dx in 2011. It isnt nice to see a fat blobby face with very little hair, no eyebrows or eyelashes but like catlady i too am just grateful to be here, whatever size i am. I do sometimes worry about it, especially when a lot is made of the link between weight gain and cancer., but find it very hard to get motivated to do any exercise when i feel rotten most of the time and when my medication dictates what i fancy to eat! i know this can be seen as excuses but i worry enough about other  things that are more important never mind worrying about my weight too. I really do admire all of you who are making a determined effort..wish i had the committment...maybe soon (she says hopefully!!)

EJ81

I don't think anyone has losing weight as their top priority. For me it is part of staying well for as long as possible and the problems I'm getting could be improved by losing some weight. I also find it hard because at the point I was diagnosed I didn't feel ill at all and now I feel rubbish and tired and the weight gain is part of it. I know that really its a small price to pay but its not always easy to keep sight of that xxx

2catlady

Oh,Macie,sounds lovely xxx. It's strange how we have gone off veg with cap!? You would think our bodies would crave it! I've just had marmite toast for tea,and for pudding peachy devil pills lol. Yes,I've got spine,ribs,neck,pelvis,lungs ,liver and TN so my weight is not top priority either. Like you I'm making the most of what time I have ,hugs,Helen xxxxxxxxx
Macie40

Hello Catlady I am another one that can't stand veg since being on Cap and used to love it.I eat lots of toast with thick Butter and marmite or lovely fresh bread with same.I also love creamy mashed potatoes and put a tin of scotch broth over the top lovely! but I am not overweight so can afford to do this I suppose but as you say at the moment I don't think it would bother me if I was.I have lung, bone,(sternum) and chest wall mets so making the most of life whatever the cost wishing everyone good luck with all treatments Love Macie x x x

2catlady

Mrs blue,lol. No toast has to have cheese on or marmite. Potatoes in any form ,I'll eat. But not potatoes on toast,I'm not that bad yet. It's like vicar of Dibbly in my house now ,the Xmas dinner with sprouts. I can't stand any veg since starting cap I have to force them in mouth. Very odd as have been a vegetarian most of my life and used to eat veg by the tonne ! Probably why weight is creeping on!!
Yes,life's too short to worry,well mine is. I just try to cope as best I can as we all do.
mrsblue

"Only thing I fancy,potatoes and toast"

Hi 2catlady, ah yes, mashed potatoes on toast ?!?! now, there's an idea... make mine a wholemeal toast and it must have some cheese in it somewhere, probably the plastic cheese that is supposed to be reduced-fat - I got used to it - one tip: it's halpful to cut cheese into portions otherwise it can just disappear Smiley Surprised

"personally I don't give a toss about my weight as long as I'm still here"

Well yes, sometimes we need to accept being overweight (I also lost height because of bone mets, this has implications for my BMI!) because, as the saying goes, life is too short to stuff a mushroom....

2catlady

Hi,I lost two stone after double whammy while on letrozole. But it seems to be creeping back now I'm on cap as all I eat is carbs for sickness. Only thing I fancy,potatoes and toast xxxx personally I don't give a toss about my weight as long as I'm still here. Xx
EJ81

Vicky the kids don't bother me as they don't know any better - and I really do look strange right now, bald, no eyelashes or eyebrows and now puffy cheeks and eyes. My eyes water most of the time too so a lot of people are probably wondering why I'm crying!!

I just smile or poke my tongue out at the kids and stare down the adults. Although one woman stared for so long the other day I smiled sweetly at her and said she obviously knew me but that I was really sorry I couldn't think where we'd met before - then I just let her squirm!

I get so many hot flushes I don't always wear a hat which is often better as its 'out there'. Wore a hat into the doctors and had to listen to two ladies who volunteered there discussing my outfit and speculating whether I was wearing it because I had cancer!!!! Reported them to the practice manager and lifted my hat politely to them as I left!!! Have been told my current treatment can continue for some time so I'll have to keep making people squirm for now!!! But it would be nice to be a bit slimmer while I do it xxx

Tinkerbelle

Hello Ladies,

I sympathise with all of you having put on more weight than I would like and wondered if it would be possible to lose any given all the treatments.  My friend has been doing amazingly well with Slimming World (she's not on any medications) and I will be going the same route as Bell-Ben and just tweaking my diet to follow some SW recipes and see how it goes.

It is the only diet that I have ever thought I might stick to.

Tink x

mrsblue

Letrozole is known to cause weight gain... so... don't feel guilty!

However... it is possible to lose weight when on letrozole.  This was my first treatment, worked to control my bone mets for almost 3 years.  I was more then 2 stone overweight at dx (I had the "double whammy") and I had not realised that this had increased my bc risk.  I lost 2 stone during my first year on letrozole.

I realise this might not be very helpful to those who read this... I have also had liver mets dx 2009, surprisingly I still have a good appetite! and on my current treatment (capecitabine chemo) I have slightly changed taste preferences, not helpful for the healthy diet I try to follow (including plenty of vegetables, we grow some of our own, well, hubby does!)  I weigh myself every week, because I'm not as mobile as I used to be  - but this can be so discouraging if the scales usually show an increase... 

Sadly there are no easy answers, I hope those of you who are struggling will be able to find your own helpful way of weight management.

bill-ben

Ellie don't take any notice of those sad people who stare they are not worth the effort! It annoyed me (that's me being polite) in the summer having people stare because I was wearing a hat on a hot day I was not unknown to be totally childish and stick my tongue out. I am really lucky as my hair grows very quickly and I now have a headfull of baby soft hair (it's normally quite thick) ok it's grey/white but it is lovely not having to wear a hat. I have just been very good and made a leek and macaroni recipe from this months slimming world magazine. It will make up for the very large kebab and chips I had on my way back from hospital last night! Oh well hey ho!! xxxx 

EJ81

I completely hear you! Inactivity after surgery (and treats!) followed by steroids with chemo had me piling on weight. New chemo has no steroids with it but I'm just not as active as I was before. I am guilty of snacking - I have professed my love of tea and cake on here before and have always been a big fan of elevenses!

To top it off the new chemo is causing oedema all over, so my face is puffy and I have swollen arm and legs! Just when I'd resolved to ignore my sore toenails and get a few more walks in! I hardly recognise myself some days and children, and less well brought up adults, stare at me one days when my face is bad so I know I look odd!!

I am now pushing to have my PIC removed and a port put in so I can swim, as this should help the swelling too. Also I have downloaded a free app called my fitness pal where you set yourself a calorie goal and log everything you eat. It is definitely helping me resist snacking.

Sorry everyone else is fed up too but it's nice too know I'm not the only one - I've been feeling really low about it recently. xxx

Mel66

I'm a real evening binger too Devon. I try and adapt my diet to compensate for that. Despite the recommendations about eating regular meals: breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks... I find it much easier to skip breakfast and often lunch too... and just eat in the evening. It's the only way I can stay within my calorie limit. It works for me... 🙂
devon01

Thanks everyone for your comments, it's good to know that the cancer/drugs is to blame as I was starting to feel like it was just excuses.
My problem is I binge at night. I can't just eat a biter chocolate, it has to be 2 bars and some crisps!
I've signed up today for weight loss hypnosis, it's probably a total load of mummbo jumbo but any things worth a go, I've also emailed a personal trainer.
Good luck to you all 🙂

madge1

Hi devon01,
I too have put on loads of weight over the last couple of months and also on IV herceptin and pertuzumab and exemestane tablets!! I know that some of the weight gain is due to me munching away, but I have decided to try and get fitter so signed up to a ladies only gym and my induction is this afternoon!!! I look in the mirror and all I see is a fat, spotty, bald person who I don't know !!!! Never been like this before and it is depressing !!! So first thing is to get fitter and hopefully eat healthier (Xmas chocs now all eaten)!!! Good luck and I know it is difficult with everything else going on !!!!
Xx
Mel66

I put on over 2 stone following surgery and chemo and leapt up from a size 10 to a size 14. Having bought just 4 outfits at my new size and having a huge wardrobe full of the former, and having read about the difficulty in losing weight on tamoxifen, I am determined to get the weight back off.

I started the 5:2 Fast Diet last week but am trying to keep my calories under 1500 on the non-fast days instead of the 1750 allowed for my size and exercise (very little!) I lost 5lbs in the first week. I am not expecting such a great loss this week but I can tell that I am slowly shrinking and the belly fat seems to be the first to go! 🙂

Fortunately for me too, I completely lost my sweet tooth on chemo and chocolate still tastes vile. I'm living in healthy, homemade soups, salads, fresh veg, pulses, beans and lean meat and cutting right back on bread and potatoes. Seems to be working so far! 🙂

bill-ben

Morning ladies I am yet another one struggling with weight! Before I was diagnosed I managed to lose 5 stone. I have been dieting since I was 11 years old on and off, if I had kept off all the weight I have lost (but unfortuneatly always put back on) I would have disappeared by now. I have tried just about every diet going but my last effort was the most successfull. I based it loosely on Slimming World although I didn't go to the meetings this time just used the books and magazines. When I started chemo last July I stopped eating and virtually ate nothing for 6 weeks. I lost 3 stone in 2 months not the best way to lose weight! I had to be taken off chemo as I had become so weak and gradually started to eat and drink again. I instantly put back on 1/2 stone (I was severely dehydrated) and over the past weeks have put back another 1/2 stone. Last week I went back to my healthy eating regime. I swear by porridge for breakfast (with fruit) as it keeps you full up all morning. It was my bowl of porridge that forced me to go to the doctor and have my cancer diagnosed. Every morning I was having porridge and would rest the bowl on my boobs while I ate it. I developed a red mark which I thought was a burn but when it didn't go I went to the doctor and cancer was diagnosed. I don't know what would have happened if it hadn't been for my porridge! I don't eat bread now as it is my absolute downfall as I cann't eat it without a mountain of butter. My taste has changed alot since chemo some things I still cann't face like apples and pears and having always been a sweet toothed person I really like nuts and pickled things now. I loved chocolate but now like the really dark stuff which is good as you can only eat a little at a time! I am basing my diet now on alot of fruit and veg and am making drinks out of mixed berries which are supposed to be good for you. My other weapon in the battle of the bulge is a Vibrapower power disc. They sell them on Ideal World shopping channel. My first one I got when I lost the 5 stone. Unfortuneatly it went wrong so I had to send it back for repair but they lost it! I have just bought another one though a slightly smaller one that has a handle on a stand for me to hold on to as my balance is a bit iffy. I swear by it they are brilliant for anyone like me who only likes walking as exercise as you don't have to do alot it does it all for you! It is so depressing when everything you like to eat makes you put on weight yet some people can eat anything and never put weight on.Best of luck with the weight lose. 

Downbutnotout

Good morning Devon and Lynn

My situation is a bit different to yours but I've struggled to lose weight since my previous chemo 3 years ago. I'm having more success controlling it with my current chemo. I just wanted to mention some things which have helped me.

One was to have scrambled egg for breakfast, just on its own, not with bread. I read an article that said eating wheat gives you more of an appetite, and that certainly seems to have been the case for me. When I stopped eating it I began to lose some weight and the egg for breakfast stopped the usual cravings for other food and it's protein, rather than carbs. You just need to make sure you still get enough carbs for a balanced diet.

Also, I'm a grazer but when I feel I want to eat something I try to snack on fruit, veg and nuts. I now keep a pack of frozen broccoli, cauliflower and carrots in the freezer so I can make a quick and healthy snack - and broccoli, cauliflower and nuts, such as almonds, are supposed to be good anti-cancer foods, so you get double the benefit.

It's worth a try because it's all healthy eating.

I do empathise as I hated the weight gain. I still want to lose about another stone so it's a work in progress.

Best of luck.

X

Lynnq

Hello Devon. I have not combatted it but I know what you are going through, and how you feel...

I am on Letrozole and have been for over 2 years. I have not had chemo or steroids. On the prescription notes it does state -"weight gain round the abdomen"- which is where mine mainly is.
Like you i have tried all sorts. But I confess to being a comfort eater so i do succumb.
I am trying the fast diet at the moment.....but only started this week......have a holiday booked commencing 1 March.....,only just over 6 weeks to go and most of my clothes are very uncomfortable if not just plain unwearable!
BUT the letrozole is working so far........
devon01

Fed Up With Being Fat!

I have secondary breast cancer with mets in my bones (pelvis)
I am 4 stone over weight since chemo etc and my weight just keeps creeping up!
No matter what I do I can't shift it.
I'm on Herceptin and a lot if drugs (no steroids)
I'm totally fed up with it and just want to go back to being the "old me"
Anyone else combatted fat in the same situation??