Feeling anxious!...

Tomorrow I’m in a t 0730 for my re-excision and for some reason almost feel more concerned than the first lot of surgery. MG, where are you, how did it go??
I know intellectually its a shorter more simple op with less GA etc etc, but somehow I feel that having healed so well from 1st time round and fully expecting to be on to the next phase of treatment to be back at surgery again is frustrating. Chocciemuffin did you say you had 3 go’s??!!
Am sure I should just get a grip, but feeling nervous. Rassurance please??..

Wandyx

Hi Wandy

I was lucky and got clear margins second time round, but my surgeon said after the first re-excision that she “had enough to play with” that she would be able to go back in again if she needed to. Fortunately, she didn’t have to.

My scar is just as neat the second time as it was the first, so you don’t need to worry as you don’t end up with parallel lines or anything like that. These surgeons take great pride in their beautiful needlework, so although it’s disappointing to have another delay (and of course more worry), the scar will be as good if not better than the first time. Obviously it’s not as far along on the healing as the node scar but it’s looking better all the time.

I suggest you discuss with the surgeon what the options are as a result of this op. There were three possible outcomes for me: 1) all clear, move to next step, 2) margins still not clear, have another go, or 3) margins still not clear, next stop mastectomy. The options for you may be different, but if you find out what they are then you can get your head round them while you’re waiting. By the time I got my results I was kind of relaxed about whatever the results would lead me to, and while I was hoping it wouldn’t end up with me needing mastectomy I’d dealt with it as a possibility. (Have to say the LCIS that turned up was a bit of a surprise, but the surgeon was completely unfazed by that, particularly as she got it all out with the re-excision she did.)

I had a re-excision 2 weeks ago and the scar is as neat as the first time and I feel fine now.Unfortunately for me there were still some stray cells present and rather than keep on going for another bit and another bit I have decided to have a mx and immediate recon.
Good luck with yours
Debs
x

Thanx for that CM and Buzzy. Hopefully all will be got with this 2nd go. I think, I too would ‘have enough to play with’, but hopefully it won’t be necessary!

Will be back online tomoro or Tuesday. Might even try going into the JM in the Woods for a looksee!!

Wandyx