Feeling down

Hi Everyone,
I’m new to this site this is my first post, I was diagnosed with stage 2 invasive BC last August had lumpectomy and 3 lymph nodes removed very lucky it had not spread, I’ve coped well I think till the last week or so, I feel so down I’m not sure if the tamoxifen is anything to do with this? Does anyone else suffer with these symptoms? I am back to work full time and feel so tired all the time, I used to be a night owl before all this. I don’t really have anyone I can talk to and I guess being happy and upbeat has taken its toll and now I can’t seem to get out of this down phase. Thank you for anyone taking the time to read this ?

Hi , I think its all ups and downs really .im a bit like you ,feeling fed up at the mo ;most of the time Im upbeat and positive .Guess you cant be chirpy all the time. Ive had my surgery 2 weeks ago …recovering well ,but anxious about the results next week and then chemo.i,m really not looking forward to chemo and hate the thought of losing my hair …boo hoo.On a positive note I befriended the lady in the opposite bed to me in hospital and she rang me today .that was nice .we are going to arrange to meet up some time soon :slight_smile:

Hello Wilson65 thanks for your reply, that’s so nice the lady from the hospital called you. Good luck for your results it’s such a worrying time I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you. I was lucky as I caught min early and just had radiotherapy. Keep strong and wishing you all the best for your chemo if you need a chat I’m here take care xxx

Hi Sonas66 and welcome to the BCC forums

Along with the support you have here, our helpliners are on hand with practical and emotional support for you so please feel free to call to talk things through. Lines open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays on 0808 800 6000

I am posting a link to the BCC ‘I am moving forward’ information and support ideas which I hope will be helpful:

breastcancercare.org.uk/moving-forward

Take care
Lucy BCC

Thanks Lucy

Hi, sorry to hear your feeling down, it will get better, honest.  Diagnosed 2008 mastectomy,immediate reconstruction, 6 rounds of chemo(FEC)12months of 3 weekly herceptin(intra venus) into my 6th year of tamoxifen(oncologist say 10years is better than 5 years for someone my age,55 menopause and all that) and I’m still going strong. The side effect of Tamoxifen do lessen as you go on but every one is different.I found that  gentle exercise helped, hospital gave me a medical referal to the local sports centre, I was assigned a personal trainer to help with my mobility and went to pilates classes. It helped me physically and more importently mentally, got me out and about talking, sociallising and gave me a sense of well being. Look out for local support groups as well, some people in the same situation as you to chat and have a coffee with can lift your spirit (and have a great repatoir of boob jokes usually).

Thanks for your comments barfil59, I would love to start doing some exercise but don’t have anyone I can go with and don’t feel confident enough to go to a local gym on my own maybe I can ask about any classes I can be referred to by hospital. Glad there sounds like a light at the end of the tunnel on the tamoxifen front, I’m 48 and hospital has said 5 years maybe 10 on it so I had better get used to it. X