Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feeling really low on tamoxifen

17 REPLIES 17
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Feeling really low on tamoxifen

I was told by my consultant that it can take up to two years to recover physically and mentally. Although the mental side doesn't go away after that, we learn to live with what has happened. Obviously, that doesn't include the 5 years on hormone therapy.

Ann x

Guest user
Not applicable

know what you mean! I was told at the hospital that it is natural to feel a type of 'abandonment' at the end of the hospital visits for chemo/ rads etc. We've been there for what seems like forever, and then it's finished.

this site is great for support,
eva

Guest user
Not applicable

Ladies, thank you all so much, again you come to my rescue and make me realise that I'm not going insane. I too am low but am taking Arimidex. Have sobbed whilst reading your comments and am now feeling a bit better. Must admit that I think you're right Sandra, leaving all that support behind at the hospital is something else that makes you feel all alone, wonder if it has something to do with having to carry on without 'expert' advice to call on. It's really nice though to have a different group of experts on this site. 🙂

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Lazydaisy,

What can I say except I think you're right, and thank you.

XOXO

You know I think we miss lead ourselves when we use the phrase ' I've finished treatment e.g Rads, because it certainly' hasn't finished with us and goes on being 'active' for quite some time afterwards. We tend to think that because we are not attending hospital anymore it's all finished and we should be getting on with life and then we start to put pressure on ourselves to 'meet expectations of a normal life's pace - equally we desperately want to return to having a normal life so it's a real psychological roller coaster .

We pay little attention to the affects of 'popping that pill' until we find we are tearful, bloated , tired etc all at a time when we are at our lowest and then we start to get frustrated and feel that this problem will never go away. There are those on this site who have done the 'full term ' on Tam. and i hope they will contribute to this thread in order to give you a positive straw to cling on to.

It's an awful point in our lives and if there is one thing I have learn t it's patience and not to take anyones word as gospel not even Onc's - because we are all so different in the way respond to treatment. What we all have in common is a bond - we're there to give you a cyber hug - It's an exclusive club with some fabulous clientèle just a pity the joining fee is so high !!

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks all so much...although I have to admit to sobbing my way through your replies! I was starting to think maybe I was going a bit nuts and it's so reassuring to know that if I am I'm not alone! Seems to me that we're so busy trying to be strong and brave that we don't allow ourselves time to indulge in a bit of self pity!
I don't find it easy to talk to the people closest to me about how I'm feeling, always too worried about upsetting them, particularly my husband. Maybe it's time to start opening up a bit.
I do feel a bit better tonight though, will maybe phone the bcc helpline if I feel that low again.
Thanks again girls x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all,

I finished my rads at the beginning of May, and my CMF chemo this week. I've been told to start my Tamoxifen on the 14th of June so I was interested in this discussion.

I have to say I cried after my last chemo, and have felt really low for the last few days. I think it's the feeling that my safety net has gone. I've always felt like I was battling the BC and doing something to make sure it never comes back. But now there is no treatment and I'm scared. I just feel like I'm doing nothing now and I am checking for lumps, and worry about pains I get around my scar.

Weird isn't it, all the way through my rads and chemo I was positive and always focussed on the end date, now it's like I wish the treatment could continue.

Best wishes to you all, and I wish you all good health, luv Jo xoxoxo

Hi all

You may find the BCC publication 'Menopausal symptoms and breast cancer' helpful to read as it contains information about managing the symptoms some of you are experiencing, here's the link:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/healthcare-professionals/publications/quick-order-list/*/changeTe...

Best wishes
Lucy

Guest user
Not applicable

aww, you sound just like me! Ive got night sweats, hot flushes etc. Not to mention the weight gain/bloating Horrible low moods, too. Spent most of yesterday crying......

eva

Guest user
Not applicable

Feel so much better after reading these.. I was feeling low and so vulnerable after finishing my rads last week. Going every day for treatment is hard work but I do miss it and feel insecure now.
Tamoxifen sweats are driving me mad and I would sell my soul for a good nights sleep.
Glad to know Im not alone in having these feelings.
Linda x

Hi Kate,

Just to let you know you can also call one of the BC Havens for support, just google Breast Cancer Haven for info

Bella x

Guest user
Not applicable

Kate - I think many people feel down at the end of their treatment. That is when it all catches up with us. I felt like that after rads finished in January but once the better weather came and I got out in the garden, I began to feel better. If you can manage it, you could try going for a short walk each day. I found that helped, too.

Ann x

Guest user
Not applicable

Kate

I finished rads 10 May, and started tamoxifen end of April. I found that towards the end of rads I got very tired. A very heavy tiredness at times, which coincided with feeling very low.

I was told that the body takes a lot of energy as there is a lot of healing after rads. The tiredness got worse up until a week afterwards.

The fatigue is now lifting again - I am now almost 4 weeks post rads and have been able to go out and work 4 days this week.

So look after yourself - get plenty of rest.

Hope you feel better soon.

lol Chris

Guest user
Not applicable

Kate, I think the trauma of bc is all consuming during dx, active treatments etc, at the end there will be this void, and suddenly it will feel like you are on your own. Keep a diary of your mood and if it does not lift, you might speak to your gp or onc! I am half way through chemo and already I am thinking of how move forward without bc being the dominant thought in my mind. I think it's a difficult time, hopefully you will find help through the bc forum, helpline or maybe Macmillan? Warmest Wishes. Tina

Hi Kate,
Looking at some of the threads of the Ladies that have finished their chemo, l would suggest that is why you are feeling so low. Not sure if it is a kind of security while you are having chemo, and once you are on rads. you can see you are coming to the end of your treatment.

I am due to start my chemo in a couple of weeks. But l know when l come to the end l will be thinking 'what now' from being looked after every step of the way, we are getting into a situation where we will probably just be coming back every 3 months, then every 6 months. Which is great, but the pressure is still on us, we still feel so insecure about everything.
Probably take a very long while for us to try and look to the future, without worrying about every little ache and pain. Before bc, if l woke with an ache or a pain, l would laugh it off and say "oh l must be getting old" now if l wake with an ache or pain, my first thoughts are, "is it the cancer"

I cannot see myself getting to the stage where that isn't my first thought in the morning and evening! but by reading some of the posts on here, it really does happen, l read ladies getting up and going to bed and saying bc is NOT their first thought, yes it is always at the back of your mind, and that is where it stays.

If you have managed to stay cheerful all through your treatment, perhaps it is 'your' pressure valve, for letting out all that pressure steam! because we certainly have had some!
Give yourself time, don't be cross, you are allowed to feel down at times, and hopefully things will pick up very soon.
Hoping someone who is taking tamoxifen will come along soon and give you their opinion, and it will help you.
Good Luck, with the rest of your rads.
Hugs
Sandra xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

I have been on Tamoxifen for a week now and must admit my mood has been very low since I started it. It may be down to that or a mixture of the many different things that have gone on in my life since I was diagnosed all building up and needing to come out somehow. I have to see my GP next week so I am going to talk to him. I have also spent a lot of this week talking to a friend about everything which I think is helping.

Hi Kate

I am sorry to read that you are feeling so low, I am sure your fellow forum users will be along shortly, in addition, please do call our confidential helpline for 'listening ear' from one of our helpliners, the line is open 9-5 weekdays and 9-2 Saturdays.

Take care
Lucy

Guest user
Not applicable

Feeling really low on tamoxifen

Been on tamoxifen for a couple of weeks now and getting used to the hot flushes but I feel so down. I can cope with the tears (even cry through Britain's got talent!) but I keep finding myself just staring in to space feeling absolutely nothing at all. Not sure if this is to do with the tamoxifen as my onc warned me I could feel down or if it's a reaction to the whole bc experience.
I'm really cross with myself for feeling like this, having done chemo and half way through rads I know I should be over the moon that I'm coming to the end of my treatment but I just don't seem able to pick myself up.
Has anyone else experienced this on tamoxifen and if so how long will it last? I've managed to stay cheerful throughout my treatment so can't understand why I'm feeling like this now.
Kate x