71175members
373951posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feeling traumatised following emergency surgery!

10 REPLIES 10
JacquiD

Re: Feeling traumatised following emergency surgery!

Its amazing how many of us who have developed infections have been told we are unique?! When I was speaking to the district nurse who came to dress the wound today about why I'd ended up with an infection, she said that perhaps I'd caught something in hospital? My BCN said they were concerned about my immunity...

I'm really worried about having rads on my wound site Laine and also worry about how long it will take for this large wound - that is being packed daily. That continued for 6 months?! That sounds like a total nightmare...

devagirl

Hi Jacqui - I know how you feel in a way. Like Slendablenda my blood vessels hadn't been tied properly but no-one took any notice of my complaints until a fortnight later when the (by now rock hard) haematoma burst all over the show - blood on the floor, up the walls and all over the consultant. She did an emergency op there and then to remove the rest of it but I then had to have it packed and dressed daily for 6 months, had to have rads on an open wound which has caused loads of problems and had about 6 infections there. It was a nightmare and I felt like pitching a tent in the hospital grounds I was there so often. They told me that I too was "unique" and they had never come across it before...

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Laine

JacquiD

I slowly feel as if I am recovering from the infection - still feeling really wiped out and low - and still got the district nurse coming in daily to change my dressing - yuck - but slowly recovering...

Thanks for all of those lovely messages of support everyone. Glad people can understand why I have been feeling so traumatised!

impatiens

Hi Jaqui

So sorry you're having such a grim time. I too am having complications with seromas and infections. It's pants isn't it? I'm back in hospital for the third time since the original mx in July , came back in last night with another infection around a seroma around the implant in my breast. I've had chemo delayed twice because of infections .

The first time I was readmitted I too wAs very ill, high temp and really low blood pressure with raging infection that hit me like a bus over the course of one day, but I didn't have to have emergency surgery at least and they always seem reluctant to aspirate the seroma because they re frightened of introducing infection into the implant. But the seroma just builds up til it bursts out somewhere! I remember when I first started looking at this site and I read one woman talking about how her implant eventually came out of the bottom of her breast and thinking it ws the most horrific thing I could imagine and now that is almost happening to me.

Like you, I had never been ill and all of a sudden all of this is happening.

this time I'm not feeling ill, just have a dodgy implant! Hopefully they'll know what to do !

I do hope you get better now and it will all calm down.

Xx

Alison

Slendablenda

Oh Jacqui - poor you. What a horrid experience. Thank goodness it's been sorted and you are home with your kids.
I was lucky i avoided that situation.
On the evening of my surgery one the nurses realised my WLE boob was swelling up big time. It got worse and worse and they told everyone up the chain who came to have a look. At midnight they decided to call the surgeon. Lucky for me he came back ans re-operated at 1.30. Some of the
tied off blood vessels had started bleeding.
It was a bit spooky being wheeled through dark corridors to the operating theatre in the hospital basement and signing the consent form,just the Consultant, the anaesthetist and me!
He came to see me the next day, was so apologetic and said it was unusual and the last time had been 18 months before.
I hope you have a speedy recovery now.

Crabbit

Hi Jacqui,

My goodness you have had a bad time of it, you poor thing. What a traumatic experience on top of everything else.

Glad you are home. You are right, so much better.

Take care and rest up! x

hjv123

Hi Jacqui, u poor thing. Ur not being a baby, that's one heck of a lot to go through, no wonder u were traumatised. Thankfully they sorted u out & im sure it feels great to be in your own home. Just make sure u take it really easy, sending huge but very gentle ((hugs)) your way. x

AndieT

Hi Jacqui

For once I can truthfully say I know exactly how you feel. I also had emergency surgery having been admitted straight from clinic when my surgeon saw the state of me and my breast with an infected seroma. In hindsight I should have realised that the bright red swollen non breast was the problem but I just felt so ill that I didn't put two and two together. That all happened last year and the only ongoing problem is the second scar which compared to my original scar is nothing but a mutilation in my eyes.Everything healed as will you. My surgeon told me I was unique - an accolade I could well have done without.

You are safely home with your family now so relax and get well again, Sending love and gentle hugs.

Andie

GIJaneH

You HAVE been traumatised! Thank God you saw your BCN who obviously pushed all the emergency buttons and got things moving (even if it was a tad dramatic! May you heal gently.... and cleanly..... Great you can still laugh! Hope it doesn't hurt to do so! Jane

Clare37

Hi Jaqcui

Im so sorry to read this, u poor thing youve been through so much and it must have been truly awful for you. I hope they get some answers for you from the checks/tests they do but more importantly i wish you a speedy recovery from this terrible ordeal so you can move on. Hopefully now you are home you will continue to improve. Humungous but gentle hugs for you xxxx

JacquiD

Feeling traumatised following emergency surgery!

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted on here for a week because I have been so ill and in hospital most of the week.

I had a really bad seroma which I'd had aspirated 2 times..in one of my last posts I was complaining about pain, was this normal etc. Anyhow I ended up with increasimg soreness around the seroma which developed into an abcess in the axilla where I'd had the SNB...into a bad infection which turned into sepsis - a systemic blood infection - very serious!I was really sick, fever, vomiting, intense pain in my very swollen breast - never been so ill in my life! Saw my BCN who called my surgeon who was pretty horrified when he saw me and I was admitted immediately and put on IV antiobiotics and saline for 24 hours before emergency surgery to drain the abcess. When I went down to theatre for the 2nd time in 2 weeks the anaethesatist(sp) said - hello again! As I write this I can smell the theatre...so surreal...

I spent 3 further days in the hopsital on IV drugs which made me so ill - aside from vomiting I came out in hideous itchy rash which covered my body. Thanks goodness for the morphine! My surgeon wanted me to stay in over the weekend but I cried - hated being in hospital, felt so low - and said I really wanted to come home, so he agreed and arranged for a nurse to come in daily to dress my wound, continue with lots of meds for infection (am know suffering chronic diarrhoea & thrush from bleeding meds!) and numbers to call in an emergency.

It feels so great to be home! Even though I still feel very shakey and in pain its fantastic feeling terrible in the comfort of my own bed! I have cried so much since I got home - feel really traumatised by this whole experience - but can still laugh which is something! So lovely to be in my own beds with my kids cheering me up.

I don't want to freak anyone out with my tale of woe - my surgeon and BCN said it was really rare for this to happen after a WLE and SNB and they are doing some more tests to check on my immunity...I also hope I don't sound like a big baby (sure have felt like one though!) but wanted to share how traumatised I feel after all this additional shock, surgery etc. And I've now got another scar! I have never been sick in my life - always fit and well and then I get breast cancer, and then I get even more sick and need more surgery. So much to get my head around!

Really hoping that I am now on the road to recovery...before the rest of the treatment starts!

Thanks for listening!

Jacqui