Fever after Chemo

Hi, my Mom has just went though the 4th chemo and developed high fever 38-39C. Doctors do suspect infection; they thought it is flue at the beginning but checked the utine today and said it has something to do with kidneys mulfunctioning. She does not have any kidney pain though. Have anyone went though the same ordeal? Please share. Many thanks!

Hi Aziza,

When I was on FEC chemo, I had a fever after every single one! They only checked my blood after the first one and said that it was an infection (kidney was fine though) and gave me some antibiotics. The rest of the times, they just told me to take some paracetamol! Some chemo do affect the kidneys, though. Worth checking out.

Hope your mum feels better soon. Having a fever while suffering with all the other side effects is awful. Take care xx

Hi Aziza,
I, too, had a high temperature( around 10 days after EACH chemo session), and the exact cause wasn’t found, although at one point it was thought it could be due to the cellulitis I got in my “chemo arm”, for which I was put on horse dosage penicillins twice. My GP surgery was very good, I rang them when my temperature had gone up, and was given an appointment the same day, bloods were taken and I was examined practically head to toe, so at least I knew they were sure I hadn’t got an infection…phew! I expect you are concerned about your Mom, understandably, so I hope she has the rest of her chemo with no problems.
Love,
Heather.x

P.S I forgot to say that each time the Surgery blood results came back I had low white cell counts, so the Oncologist said the high temperature may have been my body’s reaction to this? No-one knew for sure, but it passes, and I don’t even take my temperature now I am doing my Radiotherapy! Hooray!
Love,
Heather.x

Many thanks Heather. I am feeling a little better. My Mom will start radiotherapy soon, will be reading the forum on that experience. Good luck with everything. Warmest regards and thanks again for your response.

m1yu - thanks for sharing, I really appreciate. Warmest regards

Hi Aziza,
Yes, you and your Mom hang on in there, because the chemo sessions will finish soon. My Oncologist told me from the start, that Radiotherapy will be “a walk in the park” after chemo, and my goodness he was being truthful, bless him!
Take care, and keep supporting Mom, send my kindest regards to her,
Love,
Heather.x

Hi i found put cold flannel on the back of neck helped slept with it on you can buy chilly pillows to keep temps down to beleive there realg gud