Fibroadenoma question - just new to this site

Hi there all,

I am 45, no history of any lumps of any kind.  Approximately 3 weeks ago, I felt a rather large, hard lump in my left breast.  Was sent for emergency mammo followed by ultrasound.  Was informed that there were in fact 2 lumps, the large one and a smaller one. They were quite certain it was fibroadenoma but wanted the large one biopsied.  Had that done on Friday and now waiting for results.  When I went on Friday the radiologist said there were 2 smaller ones.  I am wondering how common it is to develop the sudden onset of a fibroadenoma at 45 and what the likelihood of this hiding malignant cells. 

Has anyone experienced a similar situation?

Thank you so much in advance for your advice.

GG

Dear gg31

Welcome to the BCC Forum.  While you are waiting for other members to come along with some support I thought our publication on fibroadenomas may be helpful.  I have attached a link:

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/sites/default/files/bcc72_fibroadenoma_2014web.pdf

You might also find it helpful to talk things over with one of our Helpline staff.  They’ll be able to offer you practical information and emotional support.  The opening times are 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays.  The number is 0808 800 6000

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator