cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Fibroadenoma - to remove or keep?

6 REPLIES 6
Stalbansmummy

Re: Fibroadenoma - to remove or keep?

Hi Frances. I asked to have mine removed and they agreed. I also have a family history (my grandad had breast cancer). Had to ask but they didn't put up a fight. Still waiting for the Op though.. Also keep feeling run down and shivery. Could easily be this time of year but wonder if the lumps contribute in this way... Good luck πŸ™‚
Frances1985

Hi everyone, I got my results the other day and much to my relief my lump is a 13mm fibroadenoma. It gets extremely painful 2 weeks before my period, so much so that it hurts to touch. At the appointment the consultant said they don't remove fibroadenomas unless they are large and they don't increase the risk of developing BC. I have a family history officially assesses by genetics as moderate risk, and part of me would just like to be rid of it although I get the feeling that if I asked for this to be done on the NHS they'd say no as mine is small?
Stalbansmummy

Thanks so much for sharing Beth. Have decided to get them removed. Like you say - recovery is usually quick and in my mind, I would rather they were gone so if further changes occurred in my breasts then I would be more likely to notice. Best of luck with the surgery.
Beth85

Hi, I don't have any percentages for you sorry but I can speak from experience!
I had a fibroadenoma when I was 20 which grew quite large over a number of months. I decided to go private to have it removed as it was uncomfortable against my bra and felt very hard. The recovery time was fairly quick and I had no regrets. I'm 29 now and recently felt a couple of lumps which I had checked out. Turned out these were cysts, but when they did the ultrasound on me they found an extra lump which they carried out tests on, turned out to be another fibroadenoma. They decided to leave it for 3 months to see if it breaks up in its own, but instead it has grown from 22mm to 29mm. Yesterday I was advised by the consultant to have it removed because it has grown and it feels quite tender. They also mentioned the risk of having a phyllodes tumour that occasionally comes with a fibroadenoma, which are usually benign but rarely can be malignant. So I'm definitely keen to have it removed. I feel a bit anxious about the operation now and also the scarring as the lump is quite high up on my breast, but would rather get rid of it. I don't know about you but I've noticed that I'm very prone to getting lumps and cysts in my breasts compared to any of my female friends! Hope this helps in some way x
Stalbansmummy

Thank you Lucy. What an amazing woman you are to do the work you do.

The link is what I have seen before but isn't consistent with a lot of what is said in the threads i - lots of women seemingly wishing they had had them removed in hindsight. My mind is everywhere! Thank you!
Lucy_BCC

Hi Stalbansmummy and welcome to the BCC forums

Along with the replies you will soon have here please feel free to call our helpliners to talk your queries and concerns over, lines are open during the week 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2 on 0808 800 6000

Here's a link to the BCC information about fibroadenomas which you may find helpful:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/breast-awareness/benign-breast-conditi...

Best wishes
Lucy BCC

Stalbansmummy

Fibroadenoma - to remove or keep?

Just wondered if anyone had come across any research about percentage of people who leave fibroadenomas in vs those who take out and overall what percentage went on to develop BC. Was diagnosed with a fibroadenoma last week and now just waiting for biopsy results of both lumps to confirm that they are benign.
Handouts say fibroadenomas don't lead to cancer but from what I read on here, many who did have them, went on to develop BC. Seems sensible to have them removed but that doesn't seem to be the guidance. Confused! And of course a little worried .... Thank you you brave brave women xxx