Fibroadenoma

I am 37 years old and was recently diagnosed through core needle biopsy with a fibroadenoma. The radiologist recommended watching an waiting and returning to him in 6 months. It is very painful, however. Should I ask to have it removed because of the pain? Thanks for any advice or help you can give me.

HI jenchil

I have recently had removed a mass, which was diagnosed as a fibroadenoma.

If it is painful and causing you chronic pain, I would be asking for a removal, as you don’t want to be living with pain!

These common little lumps, are funny things and due to my age, I insisted on a removal… I am waiting for final histology, which will give me peace of mind! I too had a lot of pain, still do, in my underarm, in my upper arm. There has since been found another mass, under my arm, totally unrelated.

Watch and wait is common with fibroadenomas and they are harmless and totally benign!

I should add this… it is also atypical with lobular hyperplasia. To pursue excision or not?

I don’t know much about this, however, here is a link, or give the helpline here a call. dslrf.org/breastcancer/content.asp?CATID=4&L2=3&L3=7&L4=0&PID=&sid=132&cid=442

My consultant at first told me to go home and all was well, till I told her that I wanted it removed, due to anxiety, pain, etc. Straight away she was getting out her diary.

Did you get told a size?

Mine was 11mm by 4mm. It is still something that could grow in us, which is another reason for me wanting removal!

Hi Jenchil1974

Here’s the link to BCC’s publication for fibroadenomas, also if you would like to talk to someone further about this then the helpline staff are here to support you. Calls are free, 0808 800 6000.

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/benign-breast-conditions/fibroadenoma-bcc72

Take care,
Jo, Facilitator

Hi all
I was just diagnosed today with a benign fibrous lump after a fine needle biopsy. I thought I would be nothing but relieved but the doctor that gave me the results far from satisfied me that this is okay. He would not offer any advice or information on this thing or what to do about it. I asked him whether I should have it removed because my breast has become very tender since discovering the lump. He told me that removing it would not get rid of the tenderness unless the lump itself is sore which it’s not really. Now I am so confused. If my breasts were not sore before but they became tender after the lump grew, then surely the lump is causing the pain? If not, what is? I didn’t think to ask him these questions when I was in the chair with the obvious nerves and worry.
Now I’ve read all these posts about women getting them removed only to find something else behind it and wonder if its not best just to get the thing out for peace of mind. Just to say, I am only 22 so it was most likely to be benign but somehow keeping inside me is a horrible thought.

Any comments?

Emma

Hi Emma,

I am sorry that you felt dissatisfied with the service you received.

A fibroadenoma, is a benign lump, very common in younger women. The reason they are common in younger women, are because they are related to oestrogen, which would explain your tenderness at certain times.

Usually for younger women, a watch and wait approach is used, because fibroadenomas do shrink and can often disappear on their own, so surgery at this point would be uneccessary. They are moveable, hence the term “breast mice” The lifespan of fibroadenomas can be 15 years, then the likelhood is that they will disappear. They can grow, and if they grow to 5cm, then they are considered giant fibroadenomas.

As you are only 22, see this as a way to be breast aware, they cannot turn cancerous, the only reason in older women that removal is offered (and rightly so) is because the risk of breast cancer increases as we age and they can hide tissue that should be screened. Cancer can develop in fibroadenomas, like it can in any other tissue, but fibroadenomas do not turn cancerous…

There is a leaflet from breast cancer care that is available, or give the helpline a call, they can assist you with any queries you may have.

I hope that helps you, emma, as worrying as it is, that you have not felt assurance from your doctor about this, they are very common in young women.

I have recently had one removed, because of my age and to prevent any increased risk of screening missing something.

Hi Emma and welcome to the BCC forums

In addition to the support here, as Sommer has kindly suggested, it may help to speak to one of our helpliners, the lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 9-2 on 0808 800 6000

The link to the BCC beign breast conditions web page follows and there is a publication about fibroadenomas included:

breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/breast-awareness/benign-breast-conditions

Take care
Lucy