Fibroids??

Don’t know whether I’m posting in the correct section, but here it goes. I am 42 years old and currently on my 3rd Docetaxel with the last one programmed for the 11th feb (yeahhh).
After my mx and lymphnode clearance back in August I underwent a series of scans(bones, lungs, liver and pelvic) and discovered that I have 2 HUGE fibroids (12 cm each) of which I had no symptoms.
My worry is that after chemo and rads I am due to start Tamoxifen and I’ve heard that you have to have your uterus in good conditions in order to undergo this treatment.
Anyone out there who had the same experience? My Onc wants to send me to a Gyn after all my treatments and I’m really scared they might ask me to have an hysterectomy!!! I Don’t think I can face more surgery!!!
p.s. I had an ultrasound 2 weeks ago and the fibroid only shrunk 1 cm :frowning:

Deb

hi lazycat, One of the side effects of tamoxifen is enlarging fibroids and thickening of the womb lining. I came off tamoxifen after one month as I was in so much abdominal pain. My fibroids became hard and painful. I didn’t want a hysterectomy or any further surgery. my prognosis was good without tamoxifen, so it wasn’t a hard decision to make. I took chinese herbs and they have helped shrink my fibroids and I can’t feel them now. I’m 55 so am in menopause anyway which helps shrink fibroids
best wishes
Leadie

Hi Leadie

Thanks for your reply, I think it’s hysterectomy for me! My cancer was ER 8, PR 8 so highly hormonal hence cannot escape Tamoxifen for 5 years. I’ve heard of an injection that you can have every 28 days that helps reduce fibroids by putting you into the menopause, has anyone heard of it? Will this be enough to avoid surgery? What a bummer! Not only I have to worry about bc, but now this… sgrunt…

Deborah

Hi Lazycat

this is interesting to me as I have fibroids and no one has ever asked me about them or mentioned tamoxifen would be a bad combination. Mine grew to and 6cm with first pregnancy but don’t know what they’re doing now, 2.5years on.

I’ve just got my first prescription for tamoxifen and been told to start taking it between 4 and 8 weeks after last paclitaxel, so anytime from next week.

Let me know what happens with you, I’d be interested to know. I really want to take the tamoxifen (hormone score 7/8 for me and I’ve had a recurrence) but, like you, I really don’t want a hysterectomy! That would be utterly grim at the age of 38.

There is a procedure to remove fibroids by chopping them up in utero (ugh, sorry to be graphic!) and pulling them out in bits through the cervix… maybe worth asking about?

xxxx Jane