Final histology results tomorrow.

Good evening ladies,

well its 10.45pm n i cant sleep.   

Had my surgery 2 weeks ago, lumpectomy and 3 lymph nodes and another area which was benign, but took it out just to be safe.

have experienced a mix of emotions ranging from " this cant be happening to me " weepy n really down plus the soreness.   The worst but really is being sore under my armpit n top of the cut.

everything i wear just seems to be rubbing on this area…tried laying a cotton handkerchief over it but jst moves around.   Tried wearing every top possible including vest tops, no bra at all, crop tops n now down to my husbands t shirts.   Last night i must have rolled over in my sleep onto my sore side,  well woke me up with horrendous pain, took an hour or so plus pain meds before i could lie back down again.

needless to say today has been real sore so gave my exercises a miss.

tomorrow i go back to see my surgeon n get the final results…hoping with everything crossed that the margins are clear n no cells in the lymph nodes.   Dont quite know what i will feel if its bad news ? 

So thats my upto date situation.    Will post again tomorrow.  Xx

Horrible time, remember if well. I was like a dog on laminate floor when they called my name, trying to scamper away at the same time being dragged in by my husband! You WILL feel a lot better and calmer after tomorrow x

Not sure why chemo but maybe the tests they do have shown you will benefit from it to reduce recurrence maybe??? I would ask them their reason. I know radiotherapy is normal following lumpectomy.

Mine was grade 1 and I was told Chemo would have been of no benefit to me at all, they initially said my tumour was 10mm but once removed it was only 4 , I had 3 weeks of Radiotheraphy and am now 2 years in to taking tamoxifen which I’m on for 10, maybe it’s due to the type of cancer it is? Mine was tubular which is quite rare and not an aggressive type but I would certainly be questioning Chemo with a grade 1 tumour Xx 

Hi Mini,
Mine was 7mm grade 2 IDC. Clear nodes & good margins. I was quite relieved when told chemo would be unlikely & then this was confirmed, I was quite happy with that. When looking at the stats there was negligible benefit.
ann x

Mine was 17mm IDC grade2 with 9 other areas and clear nodes - didn’t need radiotherapy (purely cos had mx) but certainly no chemo - I would query it.

Thankyou all for your comments re why chemo now.

still so undecided… Cant help thinking they are just being  cautious.  Hormone receptive was negative as was HER2… So if all this is clear are they saying chemo " just incase it should reoccur" …so am i gaining anything by having the chemo… 

Will see what mondays appt. brings.  Good  luck  everyone out there  xx

Hi there
I think if you are hormone neg and her2 neg, this means your cancer is triple negative which they give chemo for regardless. Mind you very unusual for triple negative to be grade 1, do there might be some misunderstanding somewhere - I’m just going through similar - but waiting to hear if I’m triple neg or her2 - I’m grade 3 - here if you need to talk x

You would have thought they would have known your hormone and HER2 status before surgery or an I wrong? I thought that was the whole reason for biopsies not only to check malignancy but to check what type prior to tailoring treatment. I would definitely want some clarification as it seems to be getting even more confusing! I’d give the BCN a ring to ask what type you actually have and why chemo x

Sorry for opening that up - I just read you said you were hormone negative and her2 negative but if they haven’t mentioned triple neg, maybe there’s been a mix up / triple neg is normally grade 3 (sometimes 2,I’ve read) so it doesn’t sound like it is ., but yes, defo call BCN for calification x

I had my surgery 22nd Feb and still don’t know her2 status - they said 6 weeks - seems to be different wherever you are x

Yeh if sounds like maybe different trusts do different things - I had my biopsy on 15 Dec and was told at my follow up prior to surgery it was ER+ PR+ and HER2 neg on the same day. Suppose it may be where they send off the biopsy and what labs test what etc.

I was told my hormone status on the first day I was told it was cancer. Not that I had any client what they were talking about. Amazing how quickly you pick up the lingo! X

It does sound like you may have triple negative cancer, I’m sorry we appear to have hit you with it but if your negative in hormones and HER2 protein then this will be the case, Chemo is always offered for this type and I’ve not heard of it being grade 1 , maybe you are stage 1 which would be correct with no spread to nodes ? I’m amazed nothing has been explained to you properly , you really should contact your BCN and get some answers Xx Jo 

I am triple neg, invasive ductal, caught early. Mri showed 2.5cm growth. U/sound and Mri showed clear nodes but had sentinel node biopsy during mx. Chemo is given for triple neg as it mops up any rogue cells that may have escaped. I see it as important treatment to ensure it has all gone. Waiting to find out if I need rads. Pre surgery it was stage1 grade 3, this will be confirmed when I have follow up appmt next week, had mx 2 weeks ago.

I think my her2 status must be being tested on the moon !!! 6 weeks is long !!! X