Finances :(

Newly diagnosed, due to have lumectomy + radiotherapy. 

Despite being a solicitor for a big city centre firm and being nearly 9 years qualified, I’m not in a brilliant financial position.  I’m a lone parent (tw*t of an ex who pays no maintenance as is on benefits - although I think often fit to work) of a 16 year old.  My eldest is financially independent.  I have a long term bf who is fab but at the moment we live in separate houses as he is is working away.  Work is a bit stressful but I’m working on it.  Work also  (due to economy etc etc) have said recently that they pay only 2 weeks sick leave. 

I’m trying to be super positive, but underneath am a tad (read getting very) stressed that I might end up in a financially difficult position.

Can I REALLY have a couple of weeks off for the lumpectomy then work through my radiotherapy (I work in city centre where hospital is that I will have radio and I can get driven down there and back) without too much problem?  I can probably do the radio and work slightly reduced hours without having pay cut, but if I need to take lots of time off, potentially, I’m properly stuffed. 

Being a lone parent I have very little left over once I’ve paid the mortgage, bills, etc.  I do OK, but there’s not a lot of slack in the system.

Am aware that stressing won’t help, but I’m really trying not to panic?

Hi Nally,
I had two lumpectomies last year and didn’t really have a problem with either of them. Both were day cases and after a few days felt fine. Driving by 2 weeks and doing everything normally. I had 15 sessions of radiotherapy at a hospital 30 miles away and drove myself there every day. Towards the end of the treatment I was beginning to feel tired and a week after it finished I definitely was, but it may have also have had something to do with the driving? I have since had a mastectomy and recon and look back on my lumpectomy experience as relatively quite easy, although it obviously isn’t. I think you will be ok with 2 weeks off especially if you can get lifts to the radiotherapy. Hopefully you have an understanding boss? Good luck ,Helen xx