Financial Strain II.................

Financial Strain II…

Financial Strain II… I’ve hear today that I’ve been turned down for IB. I had to ring 3 different offices to find this out and the third were supposed to have sent a letter out to me 18 days ago which I’ve never received. Something to do with being short of NI by about 4 weeks which I just think is really petty of them. I’m planning to appeal against the decision when the letter comes as I don’t see how I can get any job interviews in this situation - I mean, if you were a prospective employer would you interview somebody whose just started chemo this week?

I was shunted round 6 offices, no wonder people get mad eh?

Hi Cherub

Is there no other benefit that you woud be entitled to? Perhaps you can speak to the citizens advice?

I was offered Invalidity Benefit just after I had lost my job last December, even though my NI contributions hadn’t been paid for some years. Perhaps you can look into it?

Good luck

Debbie x

I’ve also put it for DLA but you have to have been ill for 3 months I believe before you can get anything. I got a letter from them saying they are asking my GP for a report, and I rang them back to say since I applied back in October I had had further surgery (lymph node removal) and was also starting chemo/rads/chemo on November 22nd. The lady I spoke to was very good and made sure everything was typed up onto my file. Fingers crossed I might get something, but I keep reading about people being turned down (someone else I know has a serious heart condition and has been turned down 5 times!)

I think when the IB letter comes I will ring them up about it, but then take it to the CAB to see what they say.

I just think it’s terrible that cancer is a serious disease, yet people have to fight to get benefits if they can’t look for work. Makes me a bit mad about all the scroungers who have never worked, yet get everything (sorry, but we have a family like that at the bottom of the street, free housing and all that goes with it!)

ive been there got the t-shirt! hi cherub i went through the same trouble as you only i was nearly 2 years short of NI class 2, i am self employed and was exempt from paying NI as earnings was below a certain amount. anyway to cut along story short i rang the national insurance head office and asked them how much i would have to pay to bring my NI up to date, it was £170.00 which sounds a lot but not really because i payed it and i got payed from incapacity and my insurance company also payed me out after refusing to pay me because they also said i couldent claim for the same reason, so it was worth getting them payed up to date to get nearlly £ 3,000 back money from my insurance. so for the sake of £2.10p a week NI contribution you should ring up the NI office and tell them you want to pay up to date then re-apply fo IB. you will only have to pay the 4 weeks then after that they will be keeping your NI up to date until you return to work. i hope this info helps and good luck! let me know how you get on, take care xxx suzee

Benefits and breast cancer factsheet by BCC Hi everyone
You may find our factsheet called ‘Benefits and breast cancer’ helpful to read, you can read this online via the following link:

breastcancercare.org.uk/docs/bcandbenefitsjuly06_0
.pdf

Kind regards
BCC Host